News   Apr 25, 2024
 627     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 519     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 765     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

I'm guessing there will be a honking big condo blocking the connection between Roads B and C.

- Paul

This 'January' newsletter must have been written before the Phase 2 contract was awarded in November. The contract for Phase 2 was awarded to Fermar Paving Ltd at the beginning of November and surely a construction schedule has already been submitted to the City. Despite this the newsletter states that the City will be selecting a contractor for phase 2 and a construction schedule will be released once the contractor is selected.

Fermar Paving was already out there last week, presumably to get the staging area ready in advance of mobilization.

Now that the main construction has started are developers weighing the possibility of the potential of this site? Could we see bold development proposals such as movie theater chain or a performing arts centre? As we were told during the councillor walks there is 12 acres of land that can have physical structures on them. 12 acres is a lot.

Now that the main construction has started are developers weighing the possibility of the potential of this site? Could we see bold development proposals such as movie theater chain or a performing arts centre? As we were told during the councillor walks there is 12 acres of land that can have physical structures on them. 12 acres is a lot.

It's amazing what happens when you start making a city to live in, not drive in.

I'm not sure that details have been worked out re: bounds and subdivision of the land, let alone zoning. And then after that, the City has to sell the land to a developer before they would put effort into proposing something. Anyone know how the City would go about selling the land? Auction?

probably not. Build Toronto would manage it, likely selling it with predefined development bounds. I.E. sell the rights to develop a 30 floor condo on block 3, or something.

It's amazing what happens when you start making a city to live in, not drive in.

I'm not sure that details have been worked out re: bounds and subdivision of the land, let alone zoning. And then after that, the City has to sell the land to a developer before they would put effort into proposing something. Anyone know how the City would go about selling the land? Auction?

about 11 acres of this land was brownfield. Elimination of the ramps/overpass added 1 acres or less.

Another conversation that should be started about this site is the police station. Why are they still built like armed compounds? They should be welcoming to ensure community relations. But instead they suck the life out of a community and make you feel like you are unwelcome to approach a police officer.

I haven't seen anything official about what the plan for the land is, but I'm cynical enough to think that the backroom is already on the case.

I hope the media are watching this one as it's the typical example of how decisions get made first and the public informed much later. There ought to be transparency to this but maybe there won't be. Who know what lobbying or dealmaking is already in the works.

Re police stations - the art is in designing them to look inviting and having a "friendly front door" in spite of the security aspects. The reality is that they need to be secure buildings with 'hardening' as they are targets for all sorts of stuff. There are certainly examples of where that has been done well, as well as examples of poorly done public access. In the case of 22 Division, up til now this hasn't mattered because the area was not walkable and 99% of their visitors were drive-in. The public entrance is pretty reasonable when you pull in and park, it just looks uninviting from out on Bloor. But yeah, once the area around the station is developed with a pedestrian focus the whole exterior ought to be rethought.

- Paul

This is such an ironic comment. The Westwood Theatre was my go to theatre as a child teenager. Things really do come full circle.

@Edllguy - did you know that there was a huge theatre next to the police station already?

Hi TransitBart,

Yes, it was also my go to theater as a teenager. Nice memories. Now I live just next door in the condos by Kipling station.

I would like to think that this development will not just be residential and commercial but also as the place to go to have a beer or coffee on a outdoor patio, people watching, catch a symphony orchestra performance, community events or outdoor concerts in the proposed Westwood Park etc.

It's spring in TO--time for another "war on the car" rant...

newtwitterav_normal.jpg

7 mins ago
Coun. Di Ciano has “mixed feelings” about Six Points project, citing impact on drivers. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...nsformed-to-make-room-for-all-road-users.html

View attachment 103781

In the article, this caught my eye:
The design also calls for physically separated bike lanes on Bloor and Dundas. (Last June, council scrapped a proposal to study bike lanes on Kipling as part of the city’s new bike plan).

Wonder if they have a list of the councillors who scrapped that proposal for bike lanes on Kipling? Would Coun. Di Ciano be on that list?

Back