News   Apr 25, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

Didn't have a chance to look at all the area, but new curbs being install at Aukland and the entrance to the condos. Some of the new traffic lights support installed.

New sidewalks still have to be pour and some can't tell the light construction poles are remove.

The road then plane and any concrete that needs replacing will take place before paving takes place.

The sidewalk from the plaza to Kipling still needs pavers as well for the new sidewalk west of it on both sides of Dundas.

The public plaza is finish and looks great.

The contractor doing the roadwork stated a lot of median needs to be added to stop left turning since there will be no turning lane east of Aukland. Totally agree with it as well to stop illegal left turn off Dundas connection to Kipling.

It will be about a month until the work at Aukland is done and things return to normal.

Lots of complaining by Mississauga riders since the stop at Aukland has been moved to the west side, but they only got 4-6 months till they don't have to catch buses on Dundas.

It's a shame this area will be torn up again when the new development blocks are filled in.

^Work is coming along nicely, and the direct route across Bloor is much more effective than I would ever have dreamt possible.

My only complaint is how the signage hand and the pylon hand have not stayed connected as work has progressed. The worst offenders are the westward bend from Dundas to the old Dunbloor - the merge left/merge right signs never synch with the day's pylon layout - and westward on Bloor at Dunbloor, where there is a permanent regulatory sign calling for mandatory left turn to Dundas on one side and mandatory turn right on the other..... on any given day there may be anywhere from one to three lanes active depending on the day's pylon placement, and the option to continue straight west on Bloor is not acknowledged... that sign should be removed or covered over until it's actually effective. But that's nitpicking in the scheme of things. The job is getting done, and I like the result.

- Paul

Had a look at Bloor St as well a few other things today and this will not be completed this year, other than the roads. Sidewalks will not be completed until 2021.

The 2 centre lanes west of Kipling needs paving and this will be none shortly as paving equipment sitting on site.

The south/west corner at Bloor and Kipling form for concrete. The eastbound bike lane starts past the church driveway.

Both corners on the east side of Kipling MIA with the sidewalk about 150-200 east of Kipling. The south sidewalk has a huge gap and both side of a road between Bloor and Dundas that is MIA.

No sidewalk on either side of the street between Bloor and old Dundas as well no sidewalk on the south side of old Dundas from Kipling to Dunbloor.

The south/west corner of Bloor/Dundas form for concrete, but a gap exist between it and where the sidewalk stops about 100' west of the enter section. The two east side corner need to be form and that shouldn't take much time to do.

The north/west corner at Bloor and Dunbloor MIA in both direction for about 150'.

The south/west corner at Dundas/Dunbloor MIA for about 150' on Dunbloor and non existing on Dundas.

Traffic lights installed for Dundas and Dunbloor intersection, but not in service. No idea what plan for Dundas with the barriers and pillions are

All new sidewalk built this year need paving for the bike lanes.

Trees have been planted for new sidewalks.

Until the framing for The Westward Apartments come down, the sidewalk and corner can't be done other than a new curb for that area.

Photos to follow when I have time to work on them.

Once all the roadwork is done, the lead foot drivers will take over the roads.

It looks like a change in contractor with Fermar doing the work now in place of being a sub.

By the way, the CBC probably paid for itself last year with the hat trick success of Schitt's Creek, Workin' Moms and Kim's Convenience outside of Canada.
Had a look at Bloor St as well a few other things today and this will not be completed this year, other than the roads. Sidewalks will not be completed until 2021.

The 2 centre lanes west of Kipling needs paving and this will be none shortly as paving equipment sitting on site.

The south/west corner at Bloor and Kipling form for concrete. The eastbound bike lane starts past the church driveway.

Both corners on the east side of Kipling MIA with the sidewalk about 150-200 east of Kipling. The south sidewalk has a huge gap and both side of a road between Bloor and Dundas that is MIA.

No sidewalk on either side of the street between Bloor and old Dundas as well no sidewalk on the south side of old Dundas from Kipling to Dunbloor.

The south/west corner of Bloor/Dundas form for concrete, but a gap exist between it and where the sidewalk stops about 100' west of the enter section. The two east side corner need to be form and that shouldn't take much time to do.

The north/west corner at Bloor and Dunbloor MIA in both direction for about 150'.

The south/west corner at Dundas/Dunbloor MIA for about 150' on Dunbloor and non existing on Dundas.

Traffic lights installed for Dundas and Dunbloor intersection, but not in service. No idea what plan for Dundas with the barriers and pillions are

All new sidewalk built this year need paving for the bike lanes.

Trees have been planted for new sidewalks.

Until the framing for The Westward Apartments come down, the sidewalk and corner can't be done other than a new curb for that area.

Photos to follow when I have time to work on them.

Once all the roadwork is done, the lead foot drivers will take over the roads.

It looks like a change in contractor with Fermar doing the work now in place of being a sub.

This is in Etobicoke, where the pedestrian are last in just about everything for the Councillors. No surprise that sidewalks are last, when the Councillors could still veto them.

See link.

...you have Councillor Stephen Holyday railing against the imposition of sidewalks on his Etobicoke constituents. “This is the way the road was built and, frankly, people are happy,” Holyday said of the approximately one-quarter of Toronto streets where the curbs are sidewalk-free.

You kind of wish these conservative suburban politicians would make up their mind: I mean, if pedestrians walking on the road while you’re trying to drive are a big problem, perhaps you shouldn’t also force them to walk on the road in your neighbourhood.

Or maybe there is a certain consistency: if you think people walking around is the disease, then perhaps you see giving them a place to walk as a major symptom.

Consistent or not, it was familiar. This city council, for a decade or more at least, has had a block that portrays any strategy to make streets safer as a “war on the car,” and mans the barricades in defence of motor vehicles at the first sight of a pedestrian or cyclist.

You can watch a long time and feel like every day is déjà vu all over again. And again. And again...

^^ Can you give us an update on the raised cycle tracks in the area? Opened? Which ones need work?
They all need work as there isn't a full section that can be use at this time. The south side can be use from Kipling to about 200' from Bloor St. You are better off using the road.

Aug 07
More up on site and back on topic
50208021918_6a8029d500_b.jpg

50208546886_6c8d0ca18a_b.jpg

50208022878_eacb382bb0_b.jpg

50208827707_7bcaaa190d_b.jpg

50208827862_7aa827114f_b.jpg

50208548391_290d35ccc3_b.jpg

50208025048_0c964f98e1_b.jpg

50208548936_77aeac00b1_b.jpg

50208828852_11e098ec4a_b.jpg

50208829192_eec8f7b461_b.jpg

50208026158_ee5b1a3f82_b.jpg

50208026323_37fee5e954_b.jpg

50208824742_3af6a611fc_b.jpg

^streetscape looks surprisingly good. @Northern Light can you comment on how well or poorly those trees are likely to perform in those planters?

At first blush, it's not the design I would choose.

It can be made to work.

But it requires very thoughtful and properly executed drainage.

That means different layers of soil/mineral/gravel that can wick salt away from the tree and or dissolve it chemically (naturally) to some degree.

Or manual flushing every spring.

If there's a snow-melt system under the pavers, and salt won't be used, that's grand (not holding my breath).

Elsewise that design is prone to letting excessive salt into the pit.

To be clear, it can be made to work.............but it's less idiot proof than other choices.

I would really prefer to see trenches with a planter lip around them, typically close to seat height, though even 30cm has value.

Hopefully they've done it right.

Unlike private developers, the City doesn't usually post its specs online for a project though they might be in the EA from way back when.

Lets be optimistic. It's not a small concrete box. They stand a chance!

If they've learned from Bloor and Queens Quay and have funded the right plans, they will be fine............

If not..........these will all be replaced next year.

I should add: One of the advantage of open trenches is that you can use complimentary plants that like salt, and will take it up from the soil reducing the issue for the trees.

I can see pedestrians (like the elderly) using the planters as seating. When will real benches be installed?
What benches that are to be install when there isn't pedestrians walking the streets like ward councilors have stated???

What benches that are to be install when there isn't pedestrians walking the streets like ward councilors have stated???

That's the real challenge with this project. Changing the roads and putting in sidewalks was the easy part. Now we see whether the development creates a worthwhile community space. I'm not optimistic - sure looks like North York West or Humber Bay North to me. Big towers, spaced out, along roads that will never be transformed from anything other than busy arterials. The issue is not, where will pedestrians stop and sit, it's... why would anyone enjoy sitting there?

But maybe there will be an off-Dundas sidestreet or pedestrian square or outdoor mall/plaza included so people don't need to linger alongside all the traffic.

- Paul

That's the real challenge with this project. Changing the roads and putting in sidewalks was the easy part. Now we see whether the development creates a worthwhile community space. I'm not optimistic - sure looks like North York West or Humber Bay North to me. Big towers, spaced out, along roads that will never be transformed from anything other than busy arterials. The issue is not, where will pedestrians stop and sit, it's... why would anyone enjoy sitting there?

But maybe there will be an off-Dundas sidestreet or pedestrian square or outdoor mall/plaza included so people don't need to linger alongside all the traffic.

- Paul
We know there is to be an Y there, a city hall, affordable housing next to the Church for that new wide reclaim area, 30-40 story towers on the 2 street and a guessing game what the plaza will turn into. The land bound by Kipling-Old Dundas-Bloor-New Street can be park/plaza. The police station needs to be relocated to get a road into that area and to build X there as well. It's also a guessing game what will be built for all the other locations.

Give it 10-20 years to see what gets built there and is it any good for pedestrians.

2021 could see TTC installing bus shelters at the main corners on the pad already in place for them that will be service by TTC route 40.

As far as I am concern, Dundas should have been reduce to 4 lanes east of Aukland since it will become 4 at the New Bloor/Dundas/Dunbloor intersection. In fact it could had started some where west of Aukland. Bloor is a very busy street now since it has become a through street.

Back