News   Apr 17, 2024
 867     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 316     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

Alvin, I would love to see the redevelopment of this area. I have lived not too far from it for years and I see the wasted potential. It's almost laughable to talk about an "urban fabric" here, as it stands now. However I will be surprised to see much more than cosmetics happen here, given the high cost and the city's many other priorities.

Would like very much to be proven wrong on this!

Don't make a mountain out of the KFC/Taco Bell molehill. It may be banal and "suburban", but it's also a dispensible "taxpayer", i.e. it's just marking time until something bigger is built. Patience is a virtue...

I would love to see the Dundas Loop implemented. I would think the project would pay for itself with ROW land made available for sale. How expensive can tearing something down be? With the Dundas Loop option it doesn't look like any expropriation would be required at all except perhaps a little land on the southeast corner. The land that would be freed up is close to twice the size of the Tridel Nuvo and Essex property. The other alternatives look more complex, look like they use more land, and in the case of the underpass options are far more expensive.

Needs better facilities to allow buses to easily access Kipling station. The existing ramps allow direct access. The Dundas Loop plans show Auckland passing under Kipling, sending Kipling Ave buses on a twisting trip to the station.

But other than that, I eagerly await this project in modern city building.

cdl, I believe that the plans for the Kipling station redevelopment (if it should ever come to pass) call for a dedicated bus underpass to Dundas.

I know this is completely off topic, but does anybody else think the name "Kipling Six Points" would be the coolest name for a subway station? I really think Toronto could use a little more imagination in it's subway station naming. Eglinton, Eglinton West, Eglinton East... umm, Eglinton Central? Eglinton not-so-east-but-definately-further-east-than-just-plain-Eglinton?

Kipling Six Points works for me, but not until "Six Points" is an urbanish destination.

I hope they reconstuct it. It would be cool to have an unbroken, continuous Bloor St.

I can foresee problems with this reconstruction however. One thing is that Bloor and Dundas switch roles here as the predominant thoroughfare. Dundas has more traffic west of Kipling and Bloor east of it. The turning that would occur at the new Bloor-Dundas intersection may cause massive congestion there.

I find the intersection quite efficient once you get used to it. I can see how it could be scary for first-timers though.

One thing is that Bloor and Dundas switch roles here as the predominant thoroughfare. Dundas has more traffic west of Kipling and Bloor east of it.

And that's a legacy of "Hwy 5" routing. Indeed, IIRC at the time the Six Points interchange was built, Bloor didn't go any farther west--or was only beginning to do so--than Hwy (4)27. Bloor west of Six Points was kind of like Yonge St (the "real" Yonge, not the "world's longest" Yonge) north of Holland Landing...

Hwy 5 followed Bloor east of Kipling because it, and not Dundas, was Toronto's main east-west street. If you look at a large map showing TO and Miss. together, you will see that Bloor east of 6 pts. and Dundas west of 6 pts. logically form one street based on the concession grids (Example; Eglinton runs 4 km. north of old Hwy. 5 in both cities) and it is only because of the odd way the eastern portion of Dundas was built 200 years ago that it (and not Bloor) runs all the way through to Halton today.

Also, Bloor always ran west of Hwy 27, running all the way past Dixie, but with a break at the Etobicoke Creek. Actually, it started again at Hurontario and ran west for a short distance. That section today is part of Central Pkwy.

Damn Central Parkway used to be part of Bloor Street? Imagine that! Hurontario & Bloor!

I *hate* cycling through this mess on the way to and from Kipling station and civilization eastward on Bloor. Tear it all apart and replace it with surface intersections.

Back