News   Aug 09, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 768     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.5K     2 

Roads: Roundabouts

round abouts are absolutely in the drivers handbook. I went over them in drivers ed as well. They obviously aren't mandated in the actual tests as not every testing location has access to one.

round abouts are absolutely in the drivers handbook. I went over them in drivers ed as well
Sheesh folks, here's the info right out of the handbook, http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section2.6.7.shtml

2-31.jpg

Attachments

• 2-31.jpg
    2-31.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 953
One place I think round abouts could be used is in instances where "traffic volumes" call for a controlled intersection (stop sign or street light) but the majority of the traffic (say 75% or higher) comes from one road, while the cross road has far less traffic. This happens in areas where local streets meet intermediate/collector roads where the intermediate road sees far more traffic. Obviously some traffic control is needed to allow driver from the local street to get on to the intermediate street safely, however using a stop sign only results in drivers performing a rolling stop and/or running through the stop sign completely, and a street light would be overkill.

In this situation the traffic on the intermediate street is able to continue relatively unimpeded (only slowing down for the round about) and traffic coming from the smaller cross street has a safer way to enter the intermediate street.

The usefullness of a roundabout stems from the traffic volumes, there's a point where it's more efficient to use a traffic signal as opposed to a roundabout. Typically I would imagine many collectors and minor arterial intersections could be changed to a roundabout. Major Major intersections would never be able to be a roundabout unless you go Spanish style and signalize the roundabouts, in which case the main benefits would be if there are significant turning movements and also leaves the potential to allow the intersection to become unsignalized during the evening or off-peak hours.

To be honest, for existing neighbourhoods, I don't see any incentive to change all-way stops to roundabouts, since more often than not these stop signs are actually embraced by neighbourhoods to deter cars from using certain streets. Roundabouts pose an issue for many neighbourhoods as it actually can throughput more vehicles since the number of vehicle stops are vastly decreased (depending on the traffic volumes ofcourse).

If we really want traffic to be improved we should do away with movement restrictions, which IMO, do more harm than good for traffic flows and would be much cheaper than roundabouts.

Major Major intersections would never be able to be a roundabout unless you go Spanish style and signalize the roundabouts, in which case the main benefits would be if there are significant turning movements and also leaves the potential to allow the intersection to become unsignalized during the evening or off-peak hours.

Traffic throughput is not the only lens through which to consider intersections. A major benefit of roundabouts is that they decrease the severity of collisions. People die when cars run red lights or turn left across traffic. It's much harder to have a severe collision at a roundabout.

(This is not true by default for pedestrians and cyclists - you need good urban roundabout design for that, e.g. Dutch.)

Unfortunately, Canadians tend to follow the Americans. Americans are conservative to change. They still have paper dollar bills, will not change to the metric system, and want to keep health care private. Changing to roundabouts is too big of a challenge for the Americans and the Canadians who follow them.

I'm starting to get annoyed with the lack of signalling in a roundaout.. Because of the 407 extension construction I have been taking a different route to work most mornings and it involves going through a roundabout.. I have yet to see someone actually signal their exit. (Which is a pain in the ass when you are trying to enter the roundabout and don't know whether this person is going to exit or continue past you)

I'm starting to get annoyed with the lack of signalling in a roundaout.. Because of the 407 extension construction I have been taking a different route to work most mornings and it involves going through a roundabout.. I have yet to see someone actually signal their exit. (Which is a pain in the ass when you are trying to enter the roundabout and don't know whether this person is going to exit or continue past you)

Who could have ever predicted that Ontario drivers would not use their signals.
Next thing you know streetcar and LRT's will be hampered by such unheard of things such as illegal parking, illegal left turns, red light running, collisions, etc.

^Not to mention our terrible lane discipline, blocking bike lanes, etc. It doesn't help that the police are often the worst offenders.

Ah, that's interesting. However they are comparing to a 4-way stop. Most roundabouts replace traffic lights - and are even more efficient, given that often you'll be at a traffic light, and there's no cars moving, if only a few are passing on the green phase. At the same time, they ignore the other savings ... deaths. I think there have been studies that there are few more minor collisions at roundabouts than traffic lights ... however there are fewer deaths and injuries, as you tend not to have Tbone-type accidents where a car hits another at full speed.

Unfortunately, Canadians tend to follow the Americans. Americans are conservative to change. They still have paper dollar bills, will not change to the metric system, and want to keep health care private. Changing to roundabouts is too big of a challenge for the Americans and the Canadians who follow them.

Good points. I'm surprised we got rid of the penny and adapter the new running man exit signs before the US

Unfortunately, Canadians tend to follow the Americans. Americans are conservative to change. They still have paper dollar bills, will not change to the metric system, and want to keep health care private.
So your trying to say we won't get rid of the paper dollar, change to metric, or have public health care until the Americans do?

Changing to roundabouts is too big of a challenge for the Americans and the Canadians who follow them.
There's thousands of modern roundabouts in the USA. They are becoming increasing common both there and here.

Back