News   Apr 23, 2024
 236     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 451     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Well get ready for 4 years of construction on the 401 to replace a few overpasses in London (Higbury and Pond Mills)

http://www.hwy401highbury.ca/schedule.html

China be laughing at our faces
Except for the engineering failures, and I doubt their due process for things like expropriation are as accommodating.

Except for the engineering failures, and I doubt their due process for things like expropriation are as accommodating.

There are many more bridges they built that didn't collapsed (yet). The problem is corruption, which is not an engineering problem.

It usually goes like the government is paying full price to build a bridge up to Ontario standards. The government and/or contractor decides to profit and use cheaper material. Then they bribe them to sign off saying the correct material and construction methods are used. Someone inspects the bridge and finds out improper material was used. They bribe that person too. Bridge opens saying all proper procedure and inspection are taken. If nothing happens, they get away with it.

It's not like corruption doesn't happen here. Usually it's on a smaller scale within "legal" limits such as paying more and selecting their buddy companies. Sometimes lower standards are used but borderline reaching safety standards.

Some money to four lane it was announced during budget... around the same time the tribe leaders state Ford has never contacted any of them regarding the four laning.
Remember the ~8km 'Wahta Gap'; the multi year 2 lane section of the Hwy 400 widening south of MacTier.

The Ontario Highways program has the next 4-laning part start in "2024-2025" between Highway 529 and the newly completed portion of twinning north of Highway 522. That's about a 20km stretch, so a fairly significant chunk.

Another project to extend the 400 Northwards by 12km towards Shawanaga is also shown as starting in "2024-2025".

This will leave a ~35km gap.

The Ontario Highways program has the next 4-laning part start in "2024-2025" between Highway 529 and the newly completed portion of twinning north of Highway 522. That's about a 20km stretch, so a fairly significant chunk.

Another project to extend the 400 Northwards by 12km towards Shawanaga is also shown as starting in "2024-2025".

This will leave a ~35km gap.

Very good news, I hope they can get it all done soon. I recently drove to Sault ste. Marie the other day and I'm surprised that a large chunk of 17 between it and Sudbury is still two lanes.

Very good news, I hope they can get it all done soon. I recently drove to Sault ste. Marie the other day and I'm surprised that a large chunk of 17 between it and Sudbury is still two lanes.
There simply isn't the traffic volume to justify the ~200 km of twinning between the currently twinned sections west of Sudbury and east of the Soo. Nor is there a political benefit, compared to spending on widening the 401 (again) in the 905.

The only section that could use an upgraded road is the SE Bypass and the section between Denlou and Espanola.

Good news but they should really just finish this before the end of the decade. It’s been way too long. The whole project started in the 90s and it’s taking 40 years to build ~225km of 4 lane highway. If they can’t even get this 82km gap done by 2030, it’s total joke.

At least Quebec didn’t take this long to twin the A-85 but it’s less than 100km.

Back