News   Apr 25, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 838     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 838     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I'm a little bit ignorant about all of this work, but are they working on any sort of expansion for capacity from 410 SB to 403? It ridiculously cuts down to one lane after the Cawthra Road exit and bottlenecks like CRAZY!

I never understood why everything is so complicated here at the 401/403/410 interchange. Why doesn't it work like the 427/401 interchange, where both highways keep going on through with a ramping pattern more or less like a typical interchange. Why isn't the 410 simply an extension of the 403.

The stretch of Highway 403 through Mississauga was meant to be a westward continuation of the Richview Expressway which would have began east of the 427-401 interchange in Etobicoke.
16161ca6a3755a8a50ab809066fb669b

Furthermore, what currently exists as the westernmost portion of Highway 407ETR was meant to be the westward continuation of the 403 - Richview Expressway called the Hamilton Expressway.

Eastgate and the Mississauga BRT occupy the lands where the eastern 403 would have been built to connect with the Richview Expressway. Ultimately, these plans did not pan out for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure of the specifics but my guess is Highway 410 would have met the 403 where Eastgate and Cawthra Road currently intersect. Instead, the province at the time decided a direct connection from the QEW to Highway 401 would be accomplished through construction of the 403. Coupled with the cancellation of the Richview Expressway, the 403 was curved northwards to connect with the 401, which was subsequently widened to the current express-collectors system.

Keep in mind, the Mississauga segment of the 403 was built during the late 70's and opened in the early 80's while the 410 was not upgraded to a full freeway until the early 90's. Hence, the jumbled 410-403 mess we see today.

Last edited:
The stretch of Highway 403 through Mississauga was meant to be a westward continuation of the Richview Expressway which would have began east of the 427-401 interchange in Etobicoke.
16161ca6a3755a8a50ab809066fb669b

Furthermore, what currently exists as the westernmost portion of Highway 407ETR was meant to be the westward continuation of the 403 - Richview Expressway called the Hamilton Expressway.

Eastgate and the Mississauga BRT occupy the lands where the eastern 403 would have been built to connect with the Richview Expressway. Ultimately, these plans did not pan out for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure of the specifics but my guess is Highway 410 would have met the 403 where Eastgate and Cawthra Road currently intersect. Instead, the province at the time decided a direct connection from the QEW to Highway 401 would be accomplished through construction of the 403. Coupled with the cancellation of the Richview Expressway, the 403 was curved northwards to connect with the 401, which was subsequently widened to the current express-collectors system.

Keep in mind, the Mississauga segment of the 403 was built during the late 70's and opened in the early 80's while the 410 was not upgraded to a full freeway until the early 90's. Hence, the jumbled 410-403 mess we see today.

Notice how the St. George's Golf & Country Club and Scarlett Woods Golf Course were not messed up in either version.

There is a website that some guy made that extensively details the history of Toronto's cancelled expressways. It's called "Get the GTA moving" or something. I believe it has similar maps for all the cancelled expressways (Crosstown, Scarborough / Gardiner East, Richview, 400, Spadina)

There are also a couple of suburban highways that never got built that less people know about. One has already been mentioned, the 403-427 stretch that would have followed the current day Mississauga Transitway. There was also supposed to be another highway that roughly followed James Snow Parkway between the 407 and 401 in Milton under the Parkway Belt Plan, Spadina was to be extended up to the 407, and another one from the 401 up around Markham to the 404 that roughly follows Donald Cousens Parkway.

Last edited:
Notice how the St. George's Golf & Country Club and Scarlett Woods Golf Course were not messed up in either version.

Why would they? Too far south from the protected corridor.

Ah yes the vaunted Get Toronto Moving plan:
http://www.gettorontomoving.ca/
With laughable quotes such as, "Transit doesn't solve congestion. Roads do"

However I do support extending the 403 in Mississauga, E-N/E under Pearson to connect with the 409 renaming the entire stretch one name (409 since the two orphaned stretches named "403" will never likely meet). This would make accessing the Airport from the West end much easier.

There is a website that some guy made that extensively details the history of Toronto's cancelled expressways. It's called "Get the GTA moving" or something. I believe it has similar maps for all the cancelled expressways (Crosstown, Scarborough / Gardiner East, Richview, 400, Spadina)

Ah yea I remember these fellows' site from years ago. There's quite the trove there, and looks like some threads have been updated.

I would like to get some opinions on my crazy idea of tolling the 401: Remove tolls on the 407 and make the 401 from 407 to 418 be tolled. I know this is impossible as the 407 still has its 81 lease to go, and it’s would be political suicide for the provincial government. However, this does make the 407 serve the original purpose of the 401, the “Toronto Bypass”.

This idea came to me after watching this:

I would like to get some opinions on my crazy idea of tolling the 401: Remove tolls on the 407 and make the 401 from 407 to 418 be tolled. I know this is impossible as the 407 still has its 81 lease to go, and it’s would be political suicide for the provincial government. However, this does make the 407 serve the original purpose of the 401, the “Toronto Bypass”.

This idea came to me after watching this:

I think that runs the risk of diverting a LOT of traffic onto local streets in the city. If that happens on the 407, Highway 7 running alongside it for much of its route, and other roads elsewhere, have spare capacity to handle the traffic that's avoiding tolls. The 401 has such a colossal amount of traffic it's not hard to imagine even a small percentage of it, equaling a huge number of cars and trucks, choosing to take local roads if it makes more sense for their route than going up the 407. WIth the collector system a lot of fairly local traffic uses the 401 within the city.

I think that runs the risk of diverting a LOT of traffic onto local streets in the city. If that happens on the 407, Highway 7 running alongside it for much of its route, and other roads elsewhere, have spare capacity to handle the traffic that's avoiding tolls. The 401 has such a colossal amount of traffic it's not hard to imagine even a small percentage of it, equaling a huge number of cars and trucks, choosing to take local roads if it makes more sense for their route than going up the 407. WIth the collector system a lot of fairly local traffic uses the 401 within the city.

Extending on the Express-Collector system comment, is it possible to only toll the express lanes on the 401, but also to make sure one cannot use the collector lanes only to long distances? For example, if you’re using the 401 “locally” and you cannot get to your destination if you use the express lanes (no collector-express and express-collector interchange in between), then you won’t be tolled. However, if you don’t take the express lanes and only use the collector lanes, then you’ll be charged for the express usage you “should have” used. So this requires tolling equipment on on ramps, off ramps, and collector-express ramps potentially. Therefore, even if you try to cheat the system, you’ll still be tolled for what you should have paid (or even more for not following “rules”).

It has not been a good month for commuting on the 401 west of Toronto.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...tractor-trailer-fire-diesel-1.4363954?cmp=rss
401 closes for 4th time in 9 days between Milton and Cambridge
Recent 401 closures
OPP Sergeant Kerry Schmidt told CBC KW earlier this week the common thread with all the collisions is they involved transport trucks.

• On Oct. 11 all westbound lanes near the Highway 6 south exit were closed at 5 a.m. for several hours after a fiery crash involving a car and a transport truck. In that crash, diesel fuel ate through the asphalt on the road, meaning it needed to be resurfaced before anyone could drive on it again.
  • On Oct. 17 a multi-vehicle crash closed the westbound lanes at Guelph Line the and clean-up included diesel fuel that spilled out of a transport truck.
  • On Oct. 18 at 2 a.m, a dump truck carrying asphalt was rear-ended near Cambridge, shutting down lanes for several hours.
  • On Oct. 20 a transport-trailer catches fire closing the 401 eastbound at Guelph Line.

Extending on the Express-Collector system comment, is it possible to only toll the express lanes on the 401, but also to make sure one cannot use the collector lanes only to long distances? For example, if you’re using the 401 “locally” and you cannot get to your destination if you use the express lanes (no collector-express and express-collector interchange in between), then you won’t be tolled. However, if you don’t take the express lanes and only use the collector lanes, then you’ll be charged for the express usage you “should have” used. So this requires tolling equipment on on ramps, off ramps, and collector-express ramps potentially. Therefore, even if you try to cheat the system, you’ll still be tolled for what you should have paid (or even more for not following “rules”).

The express-collector system isn't meant to be a bypass. It's meant (in part) to make the highway flow better - fewer lanes (2 x 3/4 versus 1 x 8) means fewer lane changes and fewer accidents, and it also means that most accidents in one will barely affect the other.

Back