News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 694     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Drove out to the Sens game tonight, and noticed that the 417 widening heading westbound was completely open. Eastbound still has a few finishing touches to put on, but that should be open in a week or so. I was very happy to see that the bottleneck that occurred at Eagleson heading westbound every PM rush hour is now gone.

What's the configuration now?
4 lanes to Eagleson, 3 to Terry Fox? Or more?

From Moodie to Palladium it's 3 lanes + HOV, Palladium to Hwy 7 it's 3 lanes. The stretch from Eagleson to Moodie also has shoulder BRT lanes (very similar to the 403 through Mississauga).

So they've installed the HOV lane on the westbound side now? Does it end at Eagleson?

Yup, it's now on both sides. The westbound HOV lane starts just west of Moodie and continues to just past Palladium. Conversely, the eastbound HOV lane starts just west of Palladium and continues until just east of Moodie.

Are the HOV lanes 3 occupant lanes or 2 occupant lanes? If it is two...that is no big deal as most people go to games with someone.

2 people. Eastbound ones include green license plates haven't seen that for Westbound yet.

They were hoping to have the eastbound lanes open this week. It looks like they are close.

2 people. Eastbound ones include green license plates haven't seen that for Westbound yet.

They were hoping to have the eastbound lanes open this week. It looks like they are close.

Yup, only 2 people, which seems consistent with other HOV Lanes across the Province. And yup, the eastbound lanes look very close. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were open by next week, or even this weekend (given that there's Sens home games on both Saturday and Sunday nights). The expansion made it a lot easier to get TO the game, and given that the choke point for capacity seems to be the Queensway, it wouldn't surprise me at all if doubling the capacity of the highway sped up leaving the games significantly.

One of the big reasons why I think the HOV lanes start at Palladium going eastbound is so that people who are doing the Huntmar-Palladium Dr north loop onto the Queensway EB (which, given the new traffic flow improvements for this season, they're trying to get more people to do) can jump directly into the HOV lane and the fast lane, the people doing the Palladium Dr south loop move into the fast lane and the centre lane, and the people getting on at Terry Fox move into the centre lane and the right lane. Right now those 3 separate streams are all trying to merge into 2 lanes of traffic, hence the bottleneck.

Highway 407 extension construction in september.

Notice how the bridge piers are built for a 10 lane cross section even though opening day it will be 6 lanes. The 407 has been designed to easily be widened as demand warrants.
407-east-looking-west-from-east-duffins-creek.jpg

407-east-south-of-brooklin.jpg

highway-401-lake-ridge-road.jpg

This photo is of the 401/West Connector/Lake Ridge Rd area. This has fallen a bit behind schedule, to the point that Lake Ridge Road over the 401 was closed on Saturday until December 19 so that they can begin demolishing the old (narrow) bridge before the new bridge is complete. This is necessary because the old bridge abutments are in the way of the new 401 westbound alignment through the area and waiting for completion of the new bridge would cause a ripple effect on completion times.

More detail in the November construction newsletter, including a newer photo of the area. I'm not aware of a separate link for the new photo, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Were those 407 construction photos taken with one of these?

mavica.gif

I thought the MTO could afford multiple megapixels.

Attachments

• mavica.gif
    mavica.gif
    10 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
Were those 407 construction photos taken with one of these?

View attachment 37420

They look like they're less than 1 megapixel.

EXIF data in the photos says they were taken with a Nikon D800, and there is a pro photographer copyright in the metadata as well. I think we can chop this up to incompetent image processing by whoever is running the 407 East Phase 1 site.

Back