News   Jul 11, 2024
 68     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 622     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Anyone taken a look at these display panels?

http://qewdixieea.ca/

http://qewdixieea.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/3211155_PIC_1_Displays-final_small2.pdf

From the looks of it to me, it's not the new Dixie Interchange causing the most property impacts, it's the realignment of the service roads.

My main question is....what is the purpose of the service roads? The 401 does quite well without them.

Too bad that I didn't see anything about adding in HOV lanes anywhere in there. Having HOV lanes all the way from Brant St all the way to the 427 would be a huge bonus. I know it probably means a reconfiguration of the service roads too, but that may be worth it.

Most of the service roads from Etobicoke Creek to Hurontario have no frontage on them, so those streets can be turned into cul-de-sacs (most of the surrounding areas are low density residential). The spots that do have frontage, the road can be turned into a one-way or something. Access to the Dixie Outlet mall can be maintained if a row or two from the parking lot are expropriated to move the Service Road further back.

Last edited:
My main question is....what is the purpose of the service roads? The 401 does quite well without them.

They're the ghost of the old Middle Road--the QEW followed existing arteries along most of its length. (As opposed to the 401, which tended to follow "fresh" alignments.)

Other recent highway updates:

Highway 26 New recently opened, as an expressway:
http://asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_20-29_images/Hwy26_images.htm

The new alignment between Airport Road north of Stayner and Collingwood includes roundabouts and overpasses for minor crossings. Not quite a full freeway, but a good improvement.

Highway 69's freeway section expanded to include full four-laning in the area of Highway 637 (road to Killarney).
http://asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_60-69_images/Hwy69_p5_images.htm

Too bad that I didn't see anything about adding in HOV lanes anywhere in there. Having HOV lanes all the way from Brant St all the way to the 427 would be a huge bonus. I know it probably means a reconfiguration of the service roads too, but that may be worth it.

Most of the service roads from Etobicoke Creek to Hurontario have no frontage on them, so those streets can be turned into cul-de-sacs (most of the surrounding areas are low density residential). The spots that do have frontage, the road can be turned into a one-way or something. Access to the Dixie Outlet mall can be maintained if a row or two from the parking lot are expropriated to move the Service Road further back.

The service roads are east-west roads south of Dundas that replace the non existing grid road and east-west roads that are missing for the full width of Mississauga.

Mississauga had the ability to run the Queensway over to Winston Churchill, but they stop it at Mavis because of the golf course next to the Port Credit River. The poor golf people would not stand for this road going over their course and forced the city to kill that idea. Huge mistake.

The city has very few east-west/north-south roads running the full width city. This cause major congestion as it forces traffic onto overcrowding roads now, side streets and cutting threw residential areas. Until Burnhamthrope was built over the Port Credit River in the 80's, Lakeshore, QEW, Dundas, 403, Eglinton, Britannia, 401 and Derry were the only east-west roads for the full width of the city.

Once the QEW or the Lakeshore goes down, the residents south of the QEW are screw if they want to go east or west because of the total gridlock that takes place within their area..

MT cannot run both direction service on the north service road as there is no room to put in stops safety for riders considering there is enough density for the #4 bus.

The service roads should go over the Port Credit River, but a few big home owners have put a halt to that idea, as well cost.

The Dixie interchange is a nightmare and an unsafe one. Even coming off 427 for Dixie is an accident waiting to happen.

The HOV are a joke by having less than 3 passengers in a car and lack of enforcement. In many place in the US, these lanes are being turn over to traffic because of these issues.

The street system was very poorly layout and to remove the service roads would hemp the residents in with very few ways out. Most would be very long ways.

To do it right, you would need to tear everything down along those road and redevelop the whole area. In one way, not a bad thing, as you could fix some issues as well create more density. This would help the area to get better transit service than it does today.

Its strange, but I went to the PIC for QEW/403/Ford, for QEW from Trafalgar to Winston Churchill, there were HOV lane for the full stretch. (There was no HOV for 403 through Burnhamthorpe, Dundas and Upper Middle).

I am also pretty sure that they are building a new bridge across the credit to carry 3+HOV lanes both EB and WB.

Its strange, but I went to the PIC for QEW/403/Ford, for QEW from Trafalgar to Winston Churchill, there were HOV lane for the full stretch. (There was no HOV for 403 through Burnhamthorpe, Dundas and Upper Middle).

I am also pretty sure that they are building a new bridge across the credit to carry 3+HOV lanes both EB and WB.

The HOV lanes on the QEW/403 run from Trafalgar to Brant. The 403 also has them from Winston Churchill to almost the 401.

The only 'gaps' in the HOV system on the QEW/403 are on the 403 between the QEW and 407, and the QEW east of the 403/Ford Dr. Considering that a significant amount of traffic continues EB on the QEW after the split at Ford Dr, I would hope HOV lanes would eventually be put onto that stretch.

Does anyone know if the QEW bridge over the Credit River is being refurbed to accommodate an extra lane in each direction? Or is it just a straight refurb? That should settle whether or not they plan to put in any HOV lanes.

The HOV lanes on the QEW/403 run from Trafalgar to Brant. The 403 also has them from Winston Churchill to almost the 401.

The only 'gaps' in the HOV system on the QEW/403 are on the 403 between the QEW and 407, and the QEW east of the 403/Ford Dr. Considering that a significant amount of traffic continues EB on the QEW after the split at Ford Dr, I would hope HOV lanes would eventually be put onto that stretch.

Does anyone know if the QEW bridge over the Credit River is being refurbed to accommodate an extra lane in each direction? Or is it just a straight refurb? That should settle whether or not they plan to put in any HOV lanes.

I just looked up the QEW/Credit website (http://www.qewcreditriverea.ca/qewcreditriverea/index.asp).

It seems that they are not adding any extra lanes - still 3 through lanes in each direction, but they are adding a new bridge which will have adequate capacity for future HOV lanes

"This EA study is not seeking EA approval for HOV lanes, but provisions have been made in the study not to preclude future HOV lanes. For the Credit River section, the requirements for the new twinned bridge allow for the flexibility to accommodate additional HOV lanes in the event that subsequent EA studies are completed."

So I would expect that the QEW Dixie will not include HOV lanes at this time, but hopefully the geometry will be layed out to allow for future HOV lanes. I did not yet see any mention of future HOV lane near Dixie though.

I just looked up the QEW/Credit website (http://www.qewcreditriverea.ca/qewcreditriverea/index.asp).

It seems that they are not adding any extra lanes - still 3 through lanes in each direction, but they are adding a new bridge which will have adequate capacity for future HOV lanes

"This EA study is not seeking EA approval for HOV lanes, but provisions have been made in the study not to preclude future HOV lanes. For the Credit River section, the requirements for the new twinned bridge allow for the flexibility to accommodate additional HOV lanes in the event that subsequent EA studies are completed."

So I would expect that the QEW Dixie will not include HOV lanes at this time, but hopefully the geometry will be layed out to allow for future HOV lanes. I did not yet see any mention of future HOV lane near Dixie though.

So 3 lanes with accommodation for 4? That's good news. That's what I was hoping. Generally if they aren't prepared to add in HOV lanes just yet when they do the bridge refit, they'll just build the bridge to accommodate them in the future. For example, when they did the rapid bridge replacements in Ottawa over the past few years on the 417, the bridges are all 1 lane in each direction wider than the number of lanes they currently carry. This is because the medium-term plan is to widen the highway by 1 lane from Carling to the 416. The bridges needed to be replaced anyway, so might as well replace them with the future in mind.

And yes, I would hope that if the HOV lanes aren't put in place, that the geometry is such that they can easily add it later. In fact, just looking on Google Earth at the recently rebuilt interchange at Erin Mills & the QEW, it's pretty evident that there's a large amount of shoulder space, enough for one lane in each direction, that has been added to the overpass. That QEW bridge could accommodate HOV lanes with just some repainting. The Hurontario interchange is still under reconstruction in the Google Earth image, so it's hard to tell if a similar provision was made there.

So 3 lanes with accommodation for 4? That's good news. That's what I was hoping. Generally if they aren't prepared to add in HOV lanes just yet when they do the bridge refit, they'll just build the bridge to accommodate them in the future. For example, when they did the rapid bridge replacements in Ottawa over the past few years on the 417, the bridges are all 1 lane in each direction wider than the number of lanes they currently carry. This is because the medium-term plan is to widen the highway by 1 lane from Carling to the 416. The bridges needed to be replaced anyway, so might as well replace them with the future in mind.

And yes, I would hope that if the HOV lanes aren't put in place, that the geometry is such that they can easily add it later. In fact, just looking on Google Earth at the recently rebuilt interchange at Erin Mills & the QEW, it's pretty evident that there's a large amount of shoulder space, enough for one lane in each direction, that has been added to the overpass. That QEW bridge could accommodate HOV lanes with just some repainting. The Hurontario interchange is still under reconstruction in the Google Earth image, so it's hard to tell if a similar provision was made there.

Reading the QEW/Dixie website a bit more, it seems very obvious that provisions for HOV are NOT one of the considerations. considerations include making Dixie a full interchange, improving the West Mall/Dixie weaving lanes, improving the shoulder widths and rehabbing the bridges. Absolutely no mention of HOV.

Between Hurontario (hwy 10) and Dixie, the service roads are quite close to QEW. I would have thought the decision on how to widen QEW is important to know before the Dixie interchange can be designed.

There are a few spots on the QEW where service roads or alignments thereof have been obliterated for widening--traffic interchanges and grade separation rebuilds, obviously, as well as lately on the N side btw/Trafalgar and Sixteen Mile Creek. (Not to mention the odd service-road exit W of Bronte.)

And for that matter, in Toronto, where the QEW did *not* follow an existing alignment (even if Queensway and Evans form a pair of meta-service-roads, much like Bloor relative to the 401 in Durham Region)--but nevertheless, it had Queen Elizabeth Drive on the N side and Oxford St on the S side, more as an excuse to provide industrial frontage a la London's Golden Mile. Said roads were mostly obliterated, except in functional fragments (most notably btw/Royal York and Islington), when the QEW was widened in the late 60s.

Hwy 427 also had service roads (IIRC the E side was "Etobicoke", the W side was "Municipal") when it was simply a widened controlled-access stretch of 27 in the 1950s and 1960s--and the industrial dead-ends btw/Dundas and North Queen (or for that matter, in the still-27 zone around Belfield) are likewise a vestige of that thinking...

http://qewdixieea.ca/

I was looking at the options and I think the second may be best.

QEW-Dixie.jpg

West of Dixie, say about 400 to 800m west, there would have to be 3 lanes, HOV lanes, Speed change lanes and appropriate shoulders on each side of QEW. There would also have to be at least 2 lane Service Roads (down from the current 3) to the north and south, along with their noise barriers, shoulders and sidewalks. As I add it up, this requires about 74m. Looking at Google Earth, it appears to be about 66m between the edge of sidewalks on the north and south. So either about 4m need to be taken from properties on the north and the south, or we live with substandard shoulders (and HOV buffers). Realistically, maybe 2m need to be taken from each property. Since the property line is not at the edge of sidewalk, it may be possible that no, or very minimal, property is required.

East of Dixie, the North Service road is not needed. The South Service Road (Boxwood Way) would become a one-way street to reduce its width. So here, I figure about 60m is needed, and 58m exists. This 2m can be made up by reducing a few shoulders of HOV buffers.

So it seems that if they choose an interchange that minimizes the number of speed change lanes, they could fit HOV lanes in this area. (option 1, as Parclo 4 with free flowing on-ramps in each quadrant, would have multiple speed change lanes and the property impacts would be more, or they would abandon any hope for HOV lanes).

I do not really like any of the solutions proposed for the weaving lane for West Mall on-ramp and Dixie off-ramp. I think just a conventional weaving lane is best. It is interesting that there is no mention of the weaving lane from Dixie on-ramp to West Mall off-ramp, which is almost the exact same scenario as the one they talk about.

Attachments

• QEW-Dixie.jpg
    QEW-Dixie.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,185
People who want to banish the usage (however vestigial) of "Hwy 10" to the dumpster are like people who think every square inch of Victoriana on Yonge is an urban error that should be replaced by supertalls pronto...

People who want to banish the usage (however vestigial) of "Hwy 10" to the dumpster are like people who think every square inch of Victoriana on Yonge is an urban error that should be replaced by supertalls pronto...
Is that perhaps backwards? The usage of Hurontario dates back to the mid-1800s if not earlier, however the Highway 10 number was only superimposed by the province in Mississauga temporarily during the 1900s.

That being said, I can't imagine why anyone would complain about using (Hwy 10) in brackets after Hurontario for clarity.

Back