News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Very interesting that they announced a price on the bradford bypass,

I am very much awaiting news on the new alignments of HWY 6 and widening of the 401 in Guelph

Does anyone have any information on that project?

Sign for the Bradford Bypass on the 400:

Future_Bradford_bypass_sign.JPG

Hasn't a construction start time been announced?
1622738179895.png

So construction and tendering on not even on the schedule right now, just an updated 'preliminary' design.

Since detailed design/working drawings would be at least another year; plus tendering.....

If they were determined to ahead, you're looking late 2024 at the earliest.

Just had a look at the MTO's Southern Ontario Highways Program, The Bypass does not have a target completion date assigned to it.

Last edited:
View attachment 324835

So construction and tendering on not even on the schedule right now, just an updated 'preliminary' design.

Since detailed design/working drawings would be at least another year; plus tendering.....

If they were determined to ahead, you're looking late 2024 at the earliest.

Just had a look at the MTO's Southern Ontario Highways Program, The Bypass does not have a target completion date assigned to it.

The minister in an interview said that early construction will start next year - I suspect it will be like the 417 extension where it's a preliminary package of work that "gets things moving", but isn't the main contract. MTO did the same thing for the New Highway 7 from Guelph to Kitchener by issuing a few bridge reconstructions on 85.

The specific quote is:

When can residents expect to see shovels in the ground?

By early 2022 construction will be able to start on Yonge Street.

I suspect it'll be a preliminary contract to build the overpass above Yonge Street.

Why does the Trans-Canada Highway bypass Toronto?

tch_1line.jpg

From link.

Where would you mark it for Toronto?
The transcanada highway in Ontario always perplexed me. While stuff like Highway 11 make sense, that southern section makes absolutely no sense for its route. Why is the major cross canada corridor going through peterborough before heading north around Lake Simcoe? A better route for the southern section would be to run along the A20 south of Montreal, to the 401, and then head north on the 400 to Sudbury.

Last edited:
The transcanada highway in Ontario always perplexed me. Why stuff like Highway 11 make sense, that southern section makes absolutely no sense for its route. Why is the major cross canada corridor going through peterborough before heading north around Lake Simcoe? A better route for the southern section would be to run along the A20 south of Montreal, to the 401, and then head north on the 400 to Sudbury.

I don't get that either. I was told by a guy at a PIC years ago that it was because the MTO didn't want extra traffic passing through the GTA.

That doesn't make much sense to me as anyone not already going to Toronto wouldn't take that route anyways. Besides, what country would choose not to have it's national highway network avoid its most populous and important area?

Back