News   Apr 25, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 389     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 583     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

The widening of Major Mac from the 427 Extension to Hwy 50 is now complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
The widening of Major Mac from the 427 Extension to Hwy 50 is now complete.
Yes, but the lane coming off the highway onto major mac is only one lane... and then any traffic continuing onto coleraine is only one lane. This will be disastrous once things are open.

Anyone know what's happening with 401 and yonge for the on and off ramps?
This is the last info I could find. But does not say when the EA will start or the plans they are looking at.

Last edited:
Anyone know what's happening with 401 and yonge for the on and off ramps?
This is the last info I could find. But does not say when the EA will start or the plans they are looking at.
I believe the City is the one that will conduct the EA, not the MTO. No idea on timing.

Anyone have an update on the 427 extension opening? They keep saying "2021" without any level of specificity.

Just watched their drone video of the extension. Looks pretty complete to me. Shocked about the ending at Major Mackenzie Drive though. Westbound towards Hwy 50 is a one lane ramp??? The truck traffic here will be insane and result in massive back ups
Do you have a link to that drone video?

Bill Foster is right - we need a road solution in this area, but our way of thinking has changed since the old highway proposal. Maybe a 4-lane Donald Cousens-style parkway would work here as well.
Personally I see the need for a freeway link here because a regular arterial would not serve the bypass‘ intended purpose, especially as it would not serve trucks as well. Regardless of what type of road is built in this corridor, it would still require the construction of bridges over the Holland rivers, as well as it would go through forestland regardless of road type. Yes, the ROW would be smaller, but I don’t think an arterial road with traffic lights would properly serve the needs of the area.

One of the main purposes of the bypass would to more evenly spread traffic between the 400 and 404, and plenty of E-W arterial road links already exist. Building another arterial road would not be the best option IMO.

But I do respect the environmental concerns around the project, and I do believe that a thorough EA needs to be conducted.

But I do respect the environmental concerns around the project, and I do believe that a thorough EA needs to be conducted.

An environmental assessment was already conducted. All these calls for new EA's are simply kneejerk reactions by opponents of this project. The conditions of the area haven't changed.

An environmental assessment was already conducted. All these calls for new EA's are simply kneejerk reactions by opponents of this project. The conditions of the area haven't changed.
Yes, in 2002. But national & provincial legislation has moved a long way since then, as well as widespread awareness of the impacts/implications of climate change. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have an EA on the project.

(notwithstanding that the route was chosen before 1997 - near 25 years ago! The world and the GTHA has come a long way since then, it's ridiculous that they're not even going to consider alternative routes)

The province is redoing the EA in it's shorter form that they allowed with recent legislative requirements. There will be updates from the 2002 document.

This new vid shows work ongoing/completed on the 401/407ETR/400

It's pretty crazy that the 407ETR is 10 freaking lanes now between the 401 and 410, but at least the 401 itself won't be puny in comparison for much longer.

HOVs on the 400 need to run up to Barrie territory.

HOV lanes are pointless. It just causes a lot of weaving, and you get people who park in that lane driving the speed limit because they have two passengers. I would rather we had toll lanes with transponders, automatic fine on entry without transponder, and only buses, etc. are exempted on the toll.

Back