News   Apr 26, 2024
 800     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 254     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 747     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I last drove through there in February and they had cleared the scrub.

I believe the first phase is just replacing the Anne St bridge.
I've been through there a few times in the last couple of days. Most of the forestry work is currently between Anne and Dunlop. All three bridges (Dunlop, Anne and Bayfield) will have to be rebuilt. I assume the clearing is to allow for worksite and diversions.

I've always wondered what would the DVP be if that Scarborough Expressway was built. Would it relieve traffic, or put more cars on the road?

At least for a small solution, the Lakeshore East GO line acts as a problem solver for some cars but sadly not most of them.

I don't think you'd really see much relief on the DVP- it's so congested that it wouldn't make much of a dent.

However the 401 between the DVP and Highway 2A (Scarborough Expressway) interchange would flow better. The Scarborough Expressway would handle much of the traffic destined for downtown instead of the DVP since it is more direct.

The Scarborough Expressway was only ever planned to be a 4 lane expressway.. it wouldn't have offered much relief for the expressway network. It would have removed a lot of traffic off the local road network in southern Scarborough though, and made that part of the city much more accessible by car.

I can't say it was a super useful highway from a network perspective. The one big "hole" in Toronto's expressway network if you ignore impacts on neighbourhoods is the 400 running south to the Gardiner, but there isn't a clear path for that one without demolishing hundreds of houses. It just isn't feasible. The Spadina expressway would have achieved something roughly similar, providing the northwest end of the old city a clearer freeway access. Overall it would have had a huge impact on the city though and made Spadina a giant traffic sewer, so I don't miss it.

Drove by the bridge work on the QEW over Etobicoke Creek today and form work in place to start framing and pouring it. Come June, construction should/could be completed

Anyone have an update on the 427 extension opening? They keep saying "2021" without any level of specificity.

Just watched their drone video of the extension. Looks pretty complete to me. Shocked about the ending at Major Mackenzie Drive though. Westbound towards Hwy 50 is a one lane ramp??? The truck traffic here will be insane and result in massive back ups

Back