News   Apr 24, 2024
 272     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.4K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 633     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Maybe more regional hiring. But if you are good enough to be a nurse in Toronto, why not in Clarington (or vice versa)? People avoid having to go through interviews, "starting over", so they "choose" to drive those commutes. What I'm saying is it would be good Public Health policy to try to make it easier to get people working closer to where they live.

Using that example, it would speak to a single employer, which hospitals are not, unlike other single-payer healthcare systems. Even within a single employer, you normally have to interview for advertised positions, and not every applicant is a winner. Reasons for sticking with a long commute can be multiple, including spousal employment.

Does anyone have any indication on when the expansion of the 400 north of Toronto is expected to be completed? Its been a while since I have had to drive through the area to get a look at it.

Is there any indication on the government's perceptions on the 404/400 connector road. I understand that it has been a contentious issue for a long time in both government and environmental circles.

110 speed coming in Sept to but look forward to 120

• Highway 402 from London to Sarnia.
  • The Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) from St. Catharines to Hamilton.
  • Highway 417 from Ottawa/Gloucester to Ontario/Quebec border.

Those locations already have 110, are you saying that they're making 110 the speed limit globally, and that those locations are getting 120?

Those locations already have 110, are you saying that they're making 110 the speed limit globally, and that those locations are getting 120?

Per https://www.ontario.ca/page/consultation-speed-limits-ontario-highways
  • The pilot on the above highways for the 110 limit started September 26th 2019 and will run for 2 years
  • The Ministry of Transportation is also planning to announce the opening of a fourth pilot location in northern Ontario in late spring 2020
Nothing about anything happening this September, nothing about 110 becoming universal across the province, and nothing about 120. However, we've just passed the late spring timeframe for the 4th pilot location in northern ON, so hopefully that's coming soon; but I don't think there are any highways close to 400-series specs in northern ON so I'm a bit skeptical of the feasibility/wisdom of increasing limits there, even as a pilot.

Per https://www.ontario.ca/page/consultation-speed-limits-ontario-highways
  • The pilot on the above highways for the 110 limit started September 26th 2019 and will run for 2 years
  • The Ministry of Transportation is also planning to announce the opening of a fourth pilot location in northern Ontario in late spring 2020
Nothing about anything happening this September, nothing about 110 becoming universal across the province, and nothing about 120. However, we've just passed the late spring timeframe for the 4th pilot location in northern ON, so hopefully that's coming soon; but I don't think there are any highways close to 400-series specs in northern ON so I'm a bit skeptical of the feasibility/wisdom of increasing limits there, even as a pilot.

If I were to guess, I think they're thinking of increasing the speed limit of 2 lane highways like Hwy 11 and 17 from 80 to 90km/h

If I were to guess, I think they're thinking of increasing the speed limit of 2 lane highways like Hwy 11 and 17 from 80 to 90km/h

Ah, that would make a LOT more sense! I was thinking of it as a "110 km/h pilot" not an "increase limit by 10 km/h pilot". I'd love to see Highway 7 between Peterborough and Ottawa increased to 90 too; it used to be a bit of a stressful drive with crazy passing, but there are a lot of new passing zones now (seems like either direction gets one every few km, over much of the route) so people are less crazy with their passing these days.

Ah, that would make a LOT more sense! I was thinking of it as a "110 km/h pilot" not an "increase limit by 10 km/h pilot". I'd love to see Highway 7 between Peterborough and Ottawa increased to 90 too; it used to be a bit of a stressful drive with crazy passing, but there are a lot of new passing zones now (seems like either direction gets one every few km, over much of the route) so people are less crazy with their passing these days.

Completely agree. Add to the fact that the 407 was just extended east to 115, and it would make the route even more useful as a relief route for the 401.

Does anyone have any indication on when the expansion of the 400 north of Toronto is expected to be completed? Its been a while since I have had to drive through the area to get a look at it.

Is there any indication on the government's perceptions on the 404/400 connector road. I understand that it has been a contentious issue for a long time in both government and environmental circles.

About the bypass (400-404 link), as it was annouced to be commencing last year, but since then, not a lot of discussion or traction at least publicly, but it is not dead (i am keeping eyes peeled to news bout this one)

The 400 expansion, im less informed about, but last time I checked, progress is being made. Most bridge work is done i believe, some new guardrails are up, new lighting masts are being installed, and some of the new surface of the highway has somewhat been paved - what im unsure about though is if it will be done for 2020 or 2021, and if it is a new hov lane only, or a new general purpose lane

Most of Highways 11 and 17 are already at 90 km/h, even in Renfrew County. The upgraded sections of Highway 69 are built to really high standards and could be a candidate for 110 km/h.

Agree with both. They could also pilot Hwy 11 south of North Bay or perhaps the divided Hwy 11/17 between TBay and Nipigon. Both have some level intersections but I don't know what criteria they are using for a pilot.

400 widening from Major Mack to King road is supposed to be done sometime in 2021.

the real question is when it will get widened to Highway 9. All but a ~1.5km stretch will be widened in the next few years, and that stretch has no bridge structures.. I’m really amazed MTO hasn’t formally announced widening it since it’s such low hanging fruit.

wrt increasing speed limits, I noticed that on Don Mills most drivers do 55-65 after the limit was lowered to 50. When the limit was 60, most people were going 70. Seems like the posted limit has to be 10 km/h slower than one's desired target speed. I would like to see 120-130 on all the 400 series to acknowledge the true current speed outside peak, but I wonder whether everyone will just go 140-150 instead.

Back