News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

On freeways with heavy truck traffic, the higher the limit goes the greater the speed differential and potential for conflicts. Perhaps easier to manage when there are more than 2 lanes in each direction, but lousy lane discipline still gets in the way.

wrt increasing speed limits, I noticed that on Don Mills most drivers do 55-65 after the limit was lowered to 50. When the limit was 60, most people were going 70. Seems like the posted limit has to be 10 km/h slower than one's desired target speed. I would like to see 120-130 on all the 400 series to acknowledge the true current speed outside peak, but I wonder whether everyone will just go 140-150 instead.

I noticed on the 402 raising to 110, most people still only go 130 max, which is the same when it was 100. I really dont notice a big difference in speed.

The difference between changing the speed limit from 50 to 60 on a road that could support a speed limit of 70, is different than changing 100km/h to 110 km/h.

A lot of people don't feel comfortable going faster than 130, even on a highway, but going 70 is quite easy for most on a wide street like Don Mills.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if they changed the Express lanes to 110, and kept the collectors at 100 on the 401.

Makes sense in my head, not just because its called an Express lane, but because theoretically the collectors are more dangerous due to the fact that is where people merge on and off the highway.

wrt increasing speed limits, I noticed that on Don Mills most drivers do 55-65 after the limit was lowered to 50. When the limit was 60, most people were going 70. Seems like the posted limit has to be 10 km/h slower than one's desired target speed. I would like to see 120-130 on all the 400 series to acknowledge the true current speed outside peak, but I wonder whether everyone will just go 140-150 instead.
I notice there is no change to speed when everything dropped to 50. Everyone is still driving like it was 60. Only a small portion of the drivers are actually obeying the 50 limit. More driver obeyed the 60 limit.

Going to Dutton Sunday and Hamilton on Monday, was only got passed by a few drivers doing 120+ km compare to the past. Found more Sunday drivers in the passing lanes and not doing 100 km than the past. Had a truck driver pull over in front of me as I thought he was going to pass someone I couldn't see in front of me to the point other cars were passing us in the right hand lane. After a number of car did this, I end up passing the truck in the right lane as there was a huge gap in both lanes. No idea why he was there and well down the road before he move back to the right lane after a number of cars pass him on the right. Nothing wrong with the right lane for him to do this. Then there where one truck trying to pass another at a mile more than the other and having traffic backup behind them. Saw more of this going both ways, but more on Monday.

The rule is keep right, but tons of driver fail to do it NA wide

Ran though a number of speed traps that had stealth cars and more than I have seen this past year

A number of soil tester in the median west of 402, but no one there.

I and other are clueless why they are rebuilding the centre barrier east of London as there nothing wrong with it that we are aware of. One of these people pass this area twice a day for work.

I would agree with 30% of divers doing more than 130. Got pass by a soup up Sport car from the 40/50's special built that had to be doing 150+, as he left us in the dust and I was doing 125 at the time.

With the number of bridges being widen from 403 to London, looks like is section may come 5 lanes and a 4th would be nice.

Ah, that would make a LOT more sense! I was thinking of it as a "110 km/h pilot" not an "increase limit by 10 km/h pilot". I'd love to see Highway 7 between Peterborough and Ottawa increased to 90 too; it used to be a bit of a stressful drive with crazy passing, but there are a lot of new passing zones now (seems like either direction gets one every few km, over much of the route) so people are less crazy with their passing these days.
Another option is twinning Hwy 7 between Hwy 115 and Carleton Place. Maybe the 115 section between the 407 and 7 can be renamed the 407 but a non-tolled section of the highway from Clarington to Ottawa

Another option is twinning Hwy 7 between Hwy 115 and Carleton Place. Maybe the 115 section between the 407 and 7 can be renamed the 407 but a non-tolled section of the highway from Clarington to Ottawa
Or just call it the 415 to simplify things or the 408/411 to try to complete the gap so we have highways 400-412 all done

MTO is performing an EA to widen the 403 from Waterdown Road to York Boulevard in Hamilton/Burlington, adding one additional through lane in each direction. The EA also looks at adding a southbound lane on Highway 6. The study would also modify the Highway 6 / 403 interchange to remove the left side merge lanes, and the York Road interchange with Highway 6 to improve it's capacity.

This would mean that MTO has EAs completed for widening the QEW from North Shore Boulevard to Guelph Line and the 403 from the QEW to York Boulevard.

The presentation materials states that initially it will be for bridge rehabilitation / replacement only, with the actual widening work occurring in the 2031-2041 time frame for this stretch. I read somewhere else that MTO hopes to widen the QEW through the Freeman interchange a few years earlier, starting in the late 2020's.

Badly needed in my opinion. The stretch is badly congested and now that the 401 widening is happening through Mississauga, I believe it boasts the highest AADT for a 6 lane provincial freeway in the province.

From the looks of it MTO isn't planning on widening the 403 between King/Main and York Boulevard any time soon.

a few pictures of the under construction french river bridge for the four laneing of highway 69 (aka future 400) https://www.northernontariobusiness.com/regional-news/sudbury/spanning-the-french-river-2423914 . From my understanding the Pickerel River bridges a couple KM's away are near identical to the French River ones.
It's an inclined leg steel rigid frame. Not that common. Pickerel River is a slightly smaller version of the French River. There is one from 50 years ago at highway 11 over South Muskoka River, and another 60 year old on the same highway near Atikokan - Seine River. Welding up that corner joint is not easy, but the bridge type helps reduce the main span length.

Back