News   Apr 22, 2024
 782     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 264     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 669     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

^it's the first phase of the Dixie Road interchange project. Phase 1 is largely just structural rehabilitation and replacement of the Etobicoke Creek bridge structure.

Phase 2 will involve the reconstruction of the Dixie Rd interchange into a modern Parclo, with a few lane additions along the QEW to assist with traffic flow. The westbound QEW will be 4 through lanes all the way to Cawthra when its done, but eastbound will stay at 3 lanes.

That part isn't under construction yet though. Right now it's just rehabilitation work. I believe the new retaining wall they have built is to allow for construction staging and wider shoulders.

Reactions: max
Hopefully the construction is made to facilitate future widening and extending of the HOV lanes (east & west) across the entire Mississauga stretch of the QEW. An eight lane QEW with HOV lanes from Brant St., Burlington all the way to the Gardiner would be brilliant!

I've noticed they've started putting in the new middle median along the QEW between Trafalgar and Winston Churchill. Hopefully this is in anticipation of future widening. Although the Royal Windsor Dr. bridge needs to be dealt with. Doesn't seem long enough to accommodate eight lanes.

Hopefully the construction is made to facilitate future widening and extending of the HOV lanes (east & west) across the entire Mississauga stretch of the QEW. An eight lane QEW with HOV lanes from Brant St., Burlington all the way to the Gardiner would be brilliant!

I've noticed they've started putting in the new middle median along the QEW between Trafalgar and Winston Churchill. Hopefully this is in anticipation of future widening. Although the Royal Windsor Dr. bridge needs to be dealt with. Doesn't seem long enough to accommodate eight lanes.
Sorry, but the HOV lanes are a JOKE and not enforce. Seen far toooooo many slow pokes and one person driver in those lanes. Unless there are 3 or more in a vehicle, a waste of road space.

They need to widen 403 north to 4 lanes an 3 lanes south.

That whole interchange area is a mess at best time.

When they plan the QEW before our time, they fail to protect land for wider highways, especially in Mississauga. Unless you remove the service roads, not land to widen it to 10 lanes. It a pick point.

Isn't the 407 suppose to widen the section between 404 and McCowan Road to 5 lanes by 2021? Currently I don't see any progress going on.
I'd be surprised if they keep this widening in their improvement plan for 2021. 407ETR Traffic has dropped off a cliff since COVID. Going forwards it will be interesting to see when traffic volumes recover as many will be working from home much longer than we first thought.

QEW/403 interchange improvements are coming, but the staging/bridge replacements really dictate the schedule. That said, the delays aren't that bad really compared to other freeway chokepoints in the GTA.

MTO does have a plan to eventually add HOVs through Mississauga, though it's going to be a while before we see them.

The Credit River Bridge replacement protects for them, as did the Hurontario interchange reconstruction from a decade ago. Who knows when MTO will actually get around to building them though.

The credit river bridge replacement and Dixie Road interchange projects should improve traffic flow fairly well though for now at least as they are both adding auxiliary lanes in the worse pinch-points on the highway.

Hopefully the 403/QEW interchange widening happens sooner though. That's a much worse pinch-point, and needs more than just some auxiliary lanes to fix it.

The QEW portion of that project isn't super congested, other than maybe westbound towards Trafalgar, but the north/south QEW portion is especially bad. It's probably one of the largest pinchpoints left in the GTA freeway network that has capability to eliminate it, but hasn't officially been funded. Other one that really comes to mind is the 410 through Brampton.

MTO does have a plan to eventually add HOVs through Mississauga, though it's going to be a while before we see them.

The Credit River Bridge replacement protects for them, as did the Hurontario interchange reconstruction from a decade ago. Who knows when MTO will actually get around to building them though.

The credit river bridge replacement and Dixie Road interchange projects should improve traffic flow fairly well though for now at least as they are both adding auxiliary lanes in the worse pinch-points on the highway.

Hopefully the 403/QEW interchange widening happens sooner though. That's a much worse pinch-point, and needs more than just some auxiliary lanes to fix it.

The QEW portion of that project isn't super congested, other than maybe westbound towards Trafalgar, but the north/south QEW portion is especially bad. It's probably one of the largest pinchpoints left in the GTA freeway network that has capability to eliminate it, but hasn't officially been funded. Other one that really comes to mind is the 410 through Brampton.

The QEW should ideally have 4 general lanes + 1 HOV through the GTA instead of relying on auxiliary lanes to relive pinch points. The 3 GP + 1 HOV layout is especially troublesome as it doesn't allow for proper passing on the left or merging from HOV to the GP lanes. MTO has this aversion to more than 3 GP lanes, I believe to avoid excessive lane changes but the existing layout really impedes the flow of traffic in non-peak hours.

The 410 widening looks largely incomplete and should be completed up to Boivard to eliminate the existing bottleneck where the HOV lane currently ends around Queen. Who knows what the thought process was with this design but that should be rectified ASAP. Maybe it'll be done after the Courtneypark - Derry stretch is completed.

MTO has several 1HOV+4GP layouts. Both the 410 and 404 have that layout, as does the newly widened stretch of the 401 through Kitchener, as well as the now under construction portion of the 401 under the 407. Not sure where you are getting that they have an aversion to it.

I agree that a GP lane should be added along the QEW through Oakville and Burlington, but MTO doesn't really seem to have plans to do that. I'm not sure if the existing bridge structures can accommodate it.

As for the QEW through Mississauga, it's going to be a tight squeeze to get the new HOV lane through there, yet alone another GP.

I believe the 410 widening was originally supposed to go to Bovaird but got cut back to Queen for some reason. I agree that it is too far south, and needs to go further north. Most peak hour commuters are headed to the residential areas on the north end of Brampton and are getting bottlenecked.

You're right in that those areas have a 4+1 layout; however, the current 404 widening isn't planned to continue the 4+1 layout past Highway 7. Might as well do it for continuity and to accommodate future growth north of Markham. Same thing with the 427 expansion north of the 401 given the heavy use of trucks especially as the 427 extends north to Bolton and CP's intermodal. The 403 should've been built to that spec when they constructed the HOV lanes in 2005 but hopefully that layout is implemented if the HOV lanes are extended south to the QEW in the future. For sure, it's a tight squeeze on the QEW from Hurontario to Dixie but perhaps some rearranging of the service roads and additional (minimal) expropriation like they did for Dixie Rd would do it.

The really problem with multi-lane highways in Ontario is the non-enforcement of the keep right traffic laws.

Driving in the passing lane: The Canadian disease

From link. From 2013, but still valid today.

Ontario's rules of the road are clear: Any vehicle travelling at less than the normal speed of travel should drive in the right-hand lane. Similar laws apply in British Columbia, Alberta and other provinces.

So why do people drive slowly in the passing lane? Why do they crawl along in the middle lane of a three-lane artery?

Part of the answer is overconfidence: Drivers rarely think that they drive too slowly. One classic article found that 93 per cent of Americans studied believed that they were more skillful than the typical driver, and 88 per cent considered themselves to be safer than average. British researchers found that most people believed that they were good at driving at the appropriate speed – but rated other drivers as adequate at best.

Overconfidence persists because of the absence of feedback (as analyzed here). The kinds of accidents that would cause people to seriously rethink their driving ability are blessedly rare. Hence people succumb to what I call Greypower logic: I'm 50 or older with a good driving record, therefore I must be a good driver. In fact, a lot of people with years of accident-free driving are mediocre drivers who just got lucky.

The feedback problem is exacerbated by the ways that cars isolate us from others, as described by Tom Vanderbilt in his book Traffic. When someone causes traffic delays in a grocery store aisle, others ask him to move, and he quickly gets the message that his behaviour is inappropriate. But in a car it's harder to read other people's signals. Is that person honking me because I'm driving slowly, or because there's something wrong with my car, or because he's a total idiot who has no idea how to drive? Because we all suffer from something psychologists call confirmation bias, we interpret evidence in a way that confirms our preconceived ideas about the world – and our faith in our driving ability.

Since no one believes that they drive slowly, a "slow traffic keep right" rule inevitably leads to left-lane blockers and clogged middle lanes.

There is an alternative: a keep-right code requiring all traffic, and not just slow traffic, to stay in the right-hand lane where possible. For example, the Ontario Driver's Handbook recommends that drivers keep in the right-hand lane unless they want to pass another vehicle – but it seems that some people have not read the handbook.

Persuasive advertising might convince people that driving in the right-hand lane and swift, no-nonsense passing is good driving, and indeed good manners.

Coercion is another option. On U.K. motorways, drivers are required to stay out of the passing lanes, except when overtaking another vehicle. A number of U.S. states have adopted similar keep right laws. In Maine, for example, a driver may use the middle or left-hand lane when overtaking and passing another vehicle, "but must return to the right-hand lane at the earliest opportunity."

Such laws are not uniformly popular. Former Florida governor Jeb Bush vetoed that state's Road Rage Reduction Act, which would have penalized people for driving slowly in the left-hand lane. His reasoning was that the law would "provide relief for those traveling at high rates of speed, or possessed of emotional intemperance, at the expense of cautious and careful drivers."

I suspect Canadian drivers would not appreciate being ordered to drive in the right-hand lane either. Those lanes are frequently full of trucks. Merging incoming traffic is a hazard for the unwary, and necessitates quick lane changes. As long as our highways' right-hand lanes are unpleasant or difficult to drive in, people will avoid them.

If the basic cause of bad driving is inadequate feedback, then the solution is better feedback: accurate, real-time information on the quality of a person's driving and the road conditions. The truth about one's driving may hurt, but collisions hurt more.

Doesn't help when it seems that the it is ALWAYS the right lane ends and requires the merging into the left lane, instead of the left lane ending and merging into the right.

Right+Lane+Ends.png

From link.

I agree with the comment that one of the problems is the right lane can disappear. An exit/deceleration lane should ideally always be new, but I appreciate that, in many cases, the MTO has been trying to shoehorn more lanes into a fixed space for years. If the traffic is relatively light and you are paying attention to the signs, it is fairly easy to move left, but if traffic gets more congested, people fear they will get trapped in an exit.

Similarly, too many drivers don't want to deal with merging or lane changing any more than absolutely necessary and other traffic that does the same. It is a common observation that someone will enter the highway, immediately move to the centre lane then camp out there for the rest of their journey - regardless of speed - even in more rural/less travelled areas. As I get older, I avoid Lane 1 ('the passing lane') more and more and will often travel in the right-hand lane. I sometimes wonder if people are conscious of the fact that they are getting overtaken on both the left and right. Also, folks in the middle of 3 lanes are taking up the only legal passing lane transports have.

Never understood slow drivers in the middle lane. If you insist on driving the 100km/h speed limit, what's preventing you from staying in the right lane? Are the drivers in the right lane going 90 km/h? So pass them in the middle lane, and then switch back onto the right lane.

Last edited:
Never understood slow drivers in the middle lane. If you insist on driving the 100km/h speed limit, what's preventing you from staying in the right lane? Are the drivers in the right lane going 90 km/h? So pass them in the middle lane, and then switch back onto the right lane.

It's the problem in Ontario of the disappearing right lanes, forcing people to merge left. So we tend to drive in the middle lane to avoid the disappearing right lane.

It's the easiest to drive lane with all these GTA traffic. They don't want to shift lane when traffic enters the highway or have people merge in front/behind you on the right lane. These drivers also sucks at driving so they hate changing lanes.

It's the easiest to drive lane with all these GTA traffic. They don't want to shift lane when traffic enters the highway or have people merge in front/behind you on the right lane. These drivers also sucks at driving so they hate changing lanes.

+1 on the second sentence. Beyond sucking at it, far too many people on high-speed, high-volume highways are terrified out there. You can see it in their faces and body language when you drive by.

+1 on the second sentence. Beyond sucking at it, far too many people on high-speed, high-volume highways are terrified out there. You can see it in their faces and body language when you drive by.

Higher standards across the board for driving schools and more challenging driving tests would be a good start to help people overcome whatever driving fears they may have. Being confident and in control on the road is far better and safer than being nervous and timid.

Back