News   Apr 24, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.4K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 633     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

The early days of the 401. Looking east from the Allen Road off ramp.
2017425-highway-401-ed.jpg
https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/05/what-toronto-traffic-looked-liked-1960s-and-70s/

Earlier days yes, but not correctly early days of the 401. The original 4-lane Toronto section dates back to the 1950s.

This is why the 401 should not be for cars (it should be a truck route). Also, they probably didn't because the propane tank explosions acted as projectiles, potentially harming those on the opposing traffic side. With this fuel tanker, if it blows up, the explosion probably wouldn't have been large enough to harm drivers in the oncoming traffic lanes. Since shutting down the 401 in both directions would have been a huge financial burden to the region, it was probably for the best that they kept the other lanes open.

And where would all the cars go (I know, rapid transit on every street)? The AADT is that area is about 330,000. I don't know what the car/truck ratio is but the picture tells a story.

Transit from northern Brampton or Western Mississauga to North York or Scarborough. Right. I would love for transit to be way better than it is right now, but you know utopia doesn't work right?

Transit from northern Brampton or Western Mississauga to North York or Scarborough. Right. I would love for transit to be way better than it is right now, but you know utopia doesn't work right?

Yes of course I do, that doesn't mean we can't wish. Turn the express lanes of the 401 into a rapid transit line. Sure, it would put the freeway at a standstill, but it would be a much better use of space than what is there right now.

It would be a good use of the lanes only if the transit ridership more than makes up for the volume of cars using those lanes. Don't forget that people would have to get to and from the 401 bus route (last mile problem). I do understand where that idea is coming from. Sometimes I wish the 401 corridor was wider so we could build a rapid bus or rail link across the city without taking away car lanes.

Work for the QEW-Dixie project has begun: http://www.qewdixiedetaildesign.ca/ Lanes are shifted at Etobicoke Creek with orange markings.

The first contract is to replace and widen the QEW bridges over Etobicoke Creek. The major 2nd contract will follow which is replacing the entire Dixie Street interchange with a modern Parclo configuration including widening of the QEW to Cawthra.

Hopefully after that widening out to 403 with HOV follows as soon as possible. Twinning the QEW bridges over Credit River should be under construction within the next year or so.

Attachments

• QEW Dixie Section.JPG
    QEW Dixie Section.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 367
this and the Credit river bridge reconstruction will add auxiliary lanes in the two major pinch points on the highway which should help a lot with traffic, even without the proper full widening. The Credit river project will add a lane eastbound between Mississauga Road and Hurontario, while I believe the Dixie Road project will extend the 4 lane configuration to Cawthra in the westbound direction.

The projects are definitely being designed for widening long term, the Credit River Bridge plans show the highway completely widened out with temporary jersey barriers in the interim, sort of like how the King Road interchange on the 400 has been for a while now. I think the plans are for the HOV lanes to become General Purpose lanes around Cawthra, so a 4 lane configuration through Dixie is the "ultimate" build out.

I believe this first phase is only rehabilitation, no changes in road configuration will occur from it. The second phase will see new lanes and ramps added.

I would not be surprised if we see the 403/QEW interchange widening project pop up in the 5 year plan soon as well - it's one of the worst points of traffic in the GTA without an approved widening project.

Not sure which thread I should mention it in, but it seems the 401 east has been shifted to the new collector lanes from Mavis eastbound, since Sunday.

Not sure which thread I should mention it in, but it seems the 401 east has been shifted to the new collector lanes from Mavis eastbound, since Sunday.
The thread is here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-to-highway-410-mto-u-c-planned.10054/page-62

Sounds about right, as there was only a small section under Mavis to the off ramp that needed to be built a month or so ago, to allow this to happen.

This will allow the existing lanes to be tore up and rebuilt so it can be completed by Oct 2019.

The westbound lanes had more than double to the work to be completed than the eastbound and may open in Nov.

Just had curious about the idea of tolls in urban areas. To me, the ideal scenario for tolls in the GTA would be Gardiner - High, 401 - Average, 407 - Low, 413 - Free. I know this isn’t possible now as it is not popular to toll existing highways and to only toll new highways, but does this tolling structure make sense?

Just had curious about the idea of tolls in urban areas. To me, the ideal scenario for tolls in the GTA would be Gardiner - High, 401 - Average, 407 - Low, 413 - Free. I know this isn’t possible now as it is not popular to toll existing highways and to only toll new highways, but does this tolling structure make sense?

No comment on the merits or drawbacks of tolling, but 407 is a private corporation and I'm not sure the province has any input into their rates.

No comment on the merits or drawbacks of tolling, but 407 is a private corporation and I'm not sure the province has any input into their rates.
The government owns toll roads: HWY 407E, HWY 412, FUTURE HWY 418. They can certainly toll their roads if they ever wanted to. The regular HWY 407 is a current cash grab and that would be far too high for most people.

Back