1.1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 544     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

New Windsor-Essex Parkway signs erected along Highway 3 in Windsor:

5534997721_af8d83b47c_b.jpg

553557869824f6c331bdb.jpg

Propaganda much? :rolleyes:

The phase has to stop somewhere ... when they started the contract, it was already the largest construction contract MTO had going. Though I thought the current phase did provide for extra lanes running from Hurontario to Mavis ... but only 3 under Mavis. So if your getting on at Mavis you should benefit. And benefit well, as the lanes you are entering will enter just after the bottleneck.

Wow, 6:30 ... at 7:00 my commute is like a ghost-town ... but that's why I live in Toronto.

I try to leave around 6:40 but often leave a bit later. Although today the commute was pretty good.

It's kinda interesting seeing all the construction between the 410 and Hurontario (and some right after Hurontario, e.g. the on- and off-ramps) but it seems to be coming along pretty well I don't see how it's gonna take another 2 years to finish.

It's kinda interesting seeing all the construction between the 410 and Hurontario (and some right after Hurontario, e.g. the on- and off-ramps) but it seems to be coming along pretty well I don't see how it's gonna take another 2 years to finish.
Keep in mind, when they finish the new roadways, then they start gutting the old ones and rebuilding them.

The observation is that this is a provincial project, and the billboard isn't slathered in Liberal Red.
Unlike all those Conservative Blue Action Plan signs.

Exactly. I was also referring to the fact that ridings that went Conservative received a disproportionate amount of stimulus funding (an average of $579,000 more). In fact, Essex received $4 million in federal spending, despite the fact that it was only won by 5,635 votes last election. Vote Conservative, get more federal funding. Pretty clear link. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/stimulus-program-favours-tory-ridings/article1333239/)

Exactly. I was also referring to the fact that ridings that went Conservative received a disproportionate amount of stimulus funding (an average of $579,000 more). In fact, Essex received $4 million in federal spending, despite the fact that it was only won by 5,635 votes last election. Vote Conservative, get more federal funding. Pretty clear link. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/stimulus-program-favours-tory-ridings/article1333239/)
Don't forget the fast funding for the Waterloo LRT, won by 17 votes. The Rapid Transit that's not more rapid and not for transit purposes.

Something like a 2000 vote margin in Kitchener. I can say that KW electing conservatives federally in a conservative make-believe majority Harper Government may have been a blessing in disguise.

As for rapid, that's debatable.

Don't forget the fast funding for the Waterloo LRT, won by 17 votes. The Rapid Transit that's not more rapid and not for transit purposes.
Now this is interesting.

The "not rapid" quip I understand, though I disagree. (It's true that end to end, it's not signifigantly faster than the current express bus, but between many intermediate stops, it is, and while serving more stations.)

I don't mean to derail the thread, but what does "Not for transit" even mean?

If you listen to the rhethic from City Planners, the rail corridor is meant to spur development along the imaged central corridor (Mall to Mall). It's development and planning, not an integration transportation plan to break the tri-city subburb preference.

If you listen to the rhethic from City Planners, the rail corridor is meant to spur development along the imaged central corridor (Mall to Mall). It's development and planning, not an integration transportation plan to break the tri-city subburb preference.

So you are saying that efforts to improve transit and curb sprawl should ignore development and plannign objectives.

Okay.

Cambridge had a Conservative MP before it was fashionable; we won't be getting an LRT extension from KW for another twenty years after opening day--if we're lucky!

Back