News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

If they went straight south from the Hanlon, they'd have to immediately find a way to go above quarries. There's also some environmentally sensitive land in the area to work around. Co-signing with the 401 will likely save many headaches during the construction process.
It's been this way for decades, since they built the Hanlon. Old 6 was straight up from Morriston into Guelph.

The new 6 will parallel the 401 for a short distance, but, it wouldn't be co-signed any more, with the separate roadway parallel to the 401. It would feel quite seamless for drivers.

And if they grade separate most of this highway will it be renamed to a 400-series highway? Although there's already an existing 406 highway which isn't close to this one...

I don't think it would be renumbered to a 400-series number, since it's a relatively small part of a much larger highway. Same thing with Highway 8 in Kitchener, and Highway 7 in Kitchener and in Ottawa (towards Carleton Place). The Province seems to be generally adverse to renumbering when it makes up only a small section of a contiguous highway. I don't agree with it, but that seems to be what they're doing.

The only 2 examples that I can really think of are Highway 417 to Highway 17 in Arnprior, and Highway 410 to Highway 10 in Brampton, and both of those have pretty sizeable 400-series segments.

Ultimately, what I would prefer would be to have Highways 6, 7, and 8 through KWC & Guelph to be given 400-series designations, with the Provincial highways as the "secondary" co-signage on those routes for continuity. Highway 7/8 and 85 would be signed Highway 408, the connector between 7/8 and the 401 would be 428, and the connector between Kitchener and Guelph, as well as the Hanlon (since I believe it would be a seamless transition between the two) would be 426. Most people in those areas would refer to them by the 400-series names, but the existing Provincial highway numbers would still be signed for continuity purposes.

Ultimately, what I would prefer would be to have Highways 6, 7, and 8 through KWC & Guelph to be given 400-series designations, with the Provincial highways as the "secondary" co-signage on those routes for continuity. Highway 7/8 and 85 would be signed Highway 408, the connector between 7/8 and the 401 would be 428, and the connector between Kitchener and Guelph, as well as the Hanlon (since I believe it would be a seamless transition between the two) would be 426. Most people in those areas would refer to them by the 400-series names, but the existing Provincial highway numbers would still be signed for continuity purposes.

The East-West highway from Guelph to Brampton which is in the conceptual stages at the MTO will impact any future numbering changes. In the long-term the route from Brampton - Guelph - Kitchener - Baden should have the same number (eventually Stratford). 408

This leaves Hwy 6 (Burlington - Guelph) with one number and the highway from Hwy 7/8 & 401 - Kitchener - St Jacobs (Hwy 85) with one number

This was rejected in the EA. They are widening the 401 instead. So no impact.

It's rejected completely? I thought it was just put on the backburner.

If so, stupid idea. Freeway corridors should have redundancy when they get as busy as the 401.

It's been this way for decades, since they built the Hanlon. Old 6 was straight up from Morriston into Guelph.

The new 6 will parallel the 401 for a short distance, but, it wouldn't be co-signed any more, with the separate roadway parallel to the 401. It would feel quite seamless for drivers.

Reading the article that wasn't my impression. You're saying 6 will parallel 401? It seems to me that you have to go from 6 to 401 and then back onto 6. Am I mistaken? Where is that conclusively stated?

It's rejected completely? I thought it was just put on the backburner.
Given that it was rejected for the option of widening the 401 instead, and the 401 widening is proceeding, it certainly looks complete.

Though nothing precludes a future government resurrecting the idea in a few decades.

If so, stupid idea. Freeway corridors should have redundancy when they get as busy as the 401.
QEW/403 is the redundant corridor to 401 to London. Those in Guelph can take 6 to 403.

Reading the article that wasn't my impression. You're saying 6 will parallel 401? It seems to me that you have to go from 6 to 401 and then back onto 6. Am I mistaken? Where is that conclusively stated?
Even in the reduced figure shown, I don't see enough ramps for that.

Didn't someone post detailed plans once, that clearly showed 4 carriageways?

The East-West highway from Guelph to Brampton which is in the conceptual stages at the MTO will impact any future numbering changes. In the long-term the route from Brampton - Guelph - Kitchener - Baden should have the same number (eventually Stratford). 408

This leaves Hwy 6 (Burlington - Guelph) with one number and the highway from Hwy 7/8 & 401 - Kitchener - St Jacobs (Hwy 85) with one number

The whole highway situation in K-W makes numbering a pain, because the only route that is truly N-S is the connector between the 401 and 7/8. 7/8+85 runs just as much E-W as it does N-S, and same with the Guelph-Kitchener connector + the Hanlon. I guess it all depends on how you see them grouped together.

To me, the 7/8+85 combo is the backbone of the K-W area, and thus should be numbered as one highway. The 7+6 combo is a bypass route for the 401 to access K-W, and to access Guelph, hence it should be numbered as one highway. That leaves the connector between 7/8 and the 401 as the "odd man out", so it should be numbered independently.

Also, even if the Brampton-Guelph highway were being built (which it isn't), I would think the Province would likely number it as an odd-numbered highway, to keep with the general numbering convention (for which the 427 is the most glaring exception), since it would be an entirely E-W highway.

Even in the reduced figure shown, I don't see enough ramps for that.

Didn't someone post detailed plans once, that clearly showed 4 carriageways?

I remember seeing that too. Basically, it was an express-collector type of setup, where the Highway 6 lanes were the "collector" lanes, and the 401 thru lanes were the "express". There were weaves put in place between 6N and 6S for vehicles to access the 401, and vice versa.

Basically though, vehicles staying on 6 would never have to merge with 401 thru lanes.

I recall seeing plans for just 2 carriageways. The 401 will be 10 lanes from Milton to highway 8, with an additional lane added through the highway 6 interlining, from what I remember.

I remember seeing that too. Basically, it was an express-collector type of setup, where the Highway 6 lanes were the "collector" lanes, and the 401 thru lanes were the "express". There were weaves put in place between 6N and 6S for vehicles to access the 401, and vice versa.

Basically though, vehicles staying on 6 would never have to merge with 401 thru lanes.
That's what I recall seeing. Similar (but longer) to how 427 parallels 401 for a short distance, where the 427 extends north of 401. It would be seemless, so drivers on Highway 6, would never perceive that they are on the 401, and drivers on 401, wouldn't think they are on 6.

Back