News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

Roads: HOV lanes

I personally don't have objection to HOT lanes. It's like a carpool lane, but solo drivers can legally drive on them. (If they're much faster, and I was in a hurry, I'd gladly pay to fund the freeway's maintenance or improved transit). This would have been a better solution for Don Valley Parkway than the Pan Am lanes.

Make the price high enough that it actually funds, rather than overflows the lane.

Some lanes should remain HOV, depending on the variables.

All HOT lanes I've ever seen, are all free to carpools (of minimum #) and buses.

Last edited:
I'll chip in...a partial sell off of Hydro One will make the sunshine list much shorter and will lead to a shorter, less annoying, annual discussion about the list....I am all for it on that basis alone ;)

I'll chip in...a partial sell off of Hydro One will make the sunshine list much shorter and will lead to a shorter, less annoying, annual discussion about the list....I am all for it on that basis alone ;)
As we have veered into Ontario power issues...
...as a spinoff topic of Hydro One funding electric transportation in Ontario...

About expensive Ontario power --

I hope whoever gets elected to Federal (red, blue, orange) agree to provide a properly efficient electric-generation incentive program for manufacturers moving into Canada to set up shop. We need proper counter-balances to the high electricity rates repelling manufacturers from Ontario. People like Google and Apple have set up their power generation because of incentives given to them, and employment has grown in these areas as a result. Let's carefully copy some useful elements of this, to try and bring some industry back to Ontario despite high electricity rates. Reduce red tape for companies that want to make their own electricity. Make it easy. Provide reasonable incentives (that pays back quickly for both them & taxpayers). Etc.

I am VERY glad we got rid of our final coal electricity plant in 2014. No more coal in Ontario! No more Nanticoke smog blown at us either. But the cost has bee somewhat unacceptable, including inefficient deployment of wind. Wind is good in a diversified power generation mix, but the way we have deployed without enough peaking power (see: gas plant scandal) and transmission infrastructure is iffy (see: forced to pay a jurisdiction to take our surplus wind power at times when we couldn't transmit needed surplus wind power to where it is profitable).

Hopefully the new transmission infrastructure that's going to be installed, will prevent us from being forced to shut down nuclear during wind surplus, and paying other jurisdictions to take surplus power away from us.

A good site is www.windontario.ca
They appear very anti-wind.
But they are not. Scroll to the bottom:

For the record:

This site is not anti-wind energy, but attempts to convey its path of implementation in Ontario.
Wind energy has seen success in areas such Nevada, Texas, Kansas, Arizona, Wyoming, Alberta, and Quebec to name a few.

Their success is the result of:
Comprehensive studies and business plans;
Turbines built where wind speeds are high;
Turbines built away from populated areas;
Promotion of competition to get the cheapest rates.

Ontario did none of this.

quoted from www.windontario.ca

We kind of rushed with the first surge of wind power. Amongst zillions of factors (e.g. Ontario Hydro nuclear debt), it helped raise our electricity rates.

Now we need to fix the inefficiencies so that wind power is worth it.

Although I initially barf at Hydro One privatization, I concede that privatization of Hydro One MAY actually undo some of these above inefficiencies. When accountable to stockholders, wind turbines will be built more profitably (areas of higher wind speeds, better studies, better business plans) and efficiently. Government regulation will be needed to improve things like forcing wind companies to remove old discontinued wind turbines (at end of life), to things like location of new builds and better friendly community involvement including possibly compensating all adjacent rural homes within X meters of a turbine (noise/flicker zone). Future wind/solar farm contracts should not be unusually sweetheart like long-term electricity generation at an artificially profitable 20-to-30-cents (or similar league), even if it did help our clean industry launch like a rocket and create a renewable base. There are better ways now that we're this far...

Other than the rush we did to build wind and solar farms in Ontario (at all costs) to quickly rid of our coal -- we created recent new inefficiencies in our electrical grid. (shutting down nuclear during surplus wind, and paying others to take unwanted surplus electricity sometimes). Otherwise, I normally do like wind energy when properly planned.

The Hydro One privatization people, and the governments, must study www.windontario.ca and apply lessons going forward to lower the cost of our electricity while continuing to deploy clean/cleaner power. We now need to 'optimize' what we already have.

Last edited:
One of our off-site staff had to come in to Hamilton from Whitby and it took him 3 hours. He left at 7:30 and got in at 10:30.

One of our off-site staff had to come in to Hamilton from Whitby and it took him 3 hours. He left at 7:30 and got in at 10:30.
It's a 125 km trip - I'd think it would be pushing 2 hours in rush hour, in the best of times.

Though I'm surprised it took that long - 407 travel times shouldn't be that different. I can only assume he took the wrong route?

Only 2 hours from Whitby GO to Aldershot on GO Train.

That sounds about right. It is easily a 2 - 3 hour trip along the 401/403 if you avoid the 407.

You could probably do it in 2 hours or less if you took the 407, but it would cost you like $35 one way.

If it was business, the cost of $35 would be pocket change compared to lost time. One reason HOT lanes will be popular with businesses.

Reactions: PL1
As for implementation, since these wouldn't be limited-access like the 407, it sounds like it would be similar to the Metro Express Lanes in Los Angeles, which are using the FasTrak transponder. There are no toll boths. The driver has a transponder and before entering the lane, must select the number of vehicle occupants (1, 2, or 3+). They can then only enter/exit the FastTrak lane at specific points, with double solid-white lines between those points to indicate no access / exit.

So there would be different rates for the number of passengers (I had assumed it was binary...over "x" free...under "x" pay per km)....what is to stop someone from simply punching in a number that generates a cheaper or free ride?

So there would be different rates for the number of passengers (I had assumed it was binary...over "x" free...under "x" pay per km)....what is to stop someone from simply punching in a number that generates a cheaper or free ride?
My understanding is that the transponder emits some sort of beacon depending on what you press, which can be interpreted by the highway patrol and then they can visually confirm if what you've punched in is the truth.

Like the 407, they use camera enforcement for vehicles without transponders.

Last edited:
Coming home today from the US, the HOV lane in Burlington were full of single drivers as we did a stop and go in the regular lanes.

Even saw an OPP car falling 2 of these cars and never saw the lights from it.

I got off at Bronte Rd and used the service road that was faster than the QEW.

The HOV are a Joke and time to get rid of them.

The worst is the HOV lanes on QEW through Mississauga. All drivers seem to prefer to drive in the middle lane. Your only chance to pass is to pull into the left HOV lane or weave between the right and middle lane. HOV (and HOT) definately will not work if there are only 3 lanes per direction.

Also, if HOV/HOT lanes become 3+ vehicles, that is essentially admitting that the HOV function is gone and it is purely a means of revenue generation.

The worst is the HOV lanes on QEW through Mississauga. All drivers seem to prefer to drive in the middle lane. Your only chance to pass is to pull into the left HOV lane or weave between the right and middle lane. HOV (and HOT) definately will not work if there are only 3 lanes per direction.

Also, if HOV/HOT lanes become 3+ vehicles, that is essentially admitting that the HOV function is gone and it is purely a means of revenue generation.

I was SO close to using the HOV lane to pass on the DVP this morning. Dump trucks and a cement truck were crawling in the right lane, and someone driving just as slow in the middle lane next to them who insisted on hitting their brakes despite no one being in front of them.

Drivers in this city drive me more crazy than HOV lanes.

Oooooh, dont get me started on local drivers.

If people were able to adhere to one simple fucking concept, it would all run a lot smoother. Not to be.....driving right except to pass (no, actually accelerate and move over once passing is complete) is too hard for the vast majority to comprehend.
A majority of drivers on local roads are self-absorbed and/or lacking in confidence. They don't use mirrors, they don't drive right, they brake unnecessarily.
I drive daily for work (construction) and I honestly can't believe how horrid our licensing and enforcement systems are.

Anyway, I find that the HOV lanes have at least made traffic move more smoothly. Sure it may be slow, though I really haven't noticed much of an increase in travel time except at certain times by a couple minutes and extending slightly into areas at those times where it would normally be quite fast. I say traffic is moving more smoothly because the lack of a third lane has dramatically cut down on lateral movement between lanes which causes huge amounts of slowdown. When cars move laterally between lanes in our locale, they usually are cutting someone off thus causing a ripple effect of drivers braking. That's the self-absorbed bunch. The unconfident bunch brake unnecessarily when someone moves into their lane well ahead of them and at speed, causing the same ripple effect of braking.

In short, can we please require driver testing and licensing on a level with Finland, ffs?

Back