News   Mar 28, 2024
 384     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 285     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 315     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Some of the content below makes me wince - how times have changed - but it's interesting to look back at the actual GO rationale. The Province announced its plan to build the GO Transit Lakeshore line on May 20 1965. It's clear from the comments at the time that avoiding costly highway construction was the prime focus.
At the same time, it's interesting how little clarity the Province had about how the GTA was going to expand, and where. When the GO service was announced, there was a big shift in development priorities towards the area served by the new lines. We owe much of the subsequent suburban growth within the GTA to where GO was planned.
And note, North York opposed GO because it was viewed as redundant to roads.

- Paul

GO Announce pg 1 May 20 1965.png
GO Announcement May 20 65 T Star.jpg
McNAughton comments re GO rationale.jpg

Attachments

• GO Announce pg 1 May 20 1965.png
    GO Announce pg 1 May 20 1965.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 739
  • GO Announcement May 20 65 T Star.jpg
    GO Announcement May 20 65 T Star.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 753
  • McNAughton comments re GO rationale.jpg
    McNAughton comments re GO rationale.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 789
Had a look at the expansion between Credit River and Hurontario today.

With the new eastbound Mavis off ramp open and both on ramp using the new collector lane, work under way building the last section of the new eastbound collector lanes.

Work underway building the deck for the 2nd line bridge.

With westbound on ramp from the southbound Mavis Rd using the new ramp and collector lane along with the shifting of the north Mavis ramp, work can start building the collector lanes in this area, as well the new on ramp.

The collector lanes in both direction should be completed and open by Oct this year. Once open, the current lanes can be move to them to allow the building of the express lanes in 2019.

What I could see of the new southbound 410/403 ramp, it's done and waiting for new overhead signs and an open date.

No idea when I will have photos up on site, since I am about 6 weeks behind and close to 3,000 photos to be tag, fix and do panorama shots.

Anyone know if the 427 expansion into Vaughan is still happening? Sort of seems like it is need to help solve a ton of traffic problems in Brampton West.

Yeah, I don't think it needs it right now.

It's my daily commute and I'd love it, plus eliminating the clover leaf loop on the east side would free up a path to get ION phase 2 behind Kitchener Rd and into Riverside Park for a Preston stop while avoiding the controversial Shantz Hill alignment. Alone neither is worth it, but as a package deal constructed at the same time it could be appealing...

I would bypass to the next intersection eastbound on the 401 and turn around to hit the westbound Hwy 8 ramp directly.

The new lane realignment on the EB 401 after Creditview is an absolute disaster. I know realignments take people a while to get used to but to only have a SINGLE LANE for the entrance to the express after Mavis is extremely poor planning in my opinion. Every day now there are people just thrusting themselves into that left lane just to have a chance to get into the express and not have to be completely cramped in the collectors for another few kilometres. Cars, huge flatbeds, dump trucks all crossing over the bull horn at the last minute. Then there is everyone sitting in the middle lane with their indicator on, just waiting to get over, effectively stopping all traffic behind them. Chaos!

Seriously though, was this not thought through? Someone had to approve this? I am hoping it is extremely temporary.

The new lane realignment on the EB 401 after Creditview is an absolute disaster. I know realignments take people a while to get used to but to only have a SINGLE LANE for the entrance to the express after Mavis is extremely poor planning in my opinion. Every day now there are people just thrusting themselves into that left lane just to have a chance to get into the express and not have to be completely cramped in the collectors for another few kilometres. Cars, huge flatbeds, dump trucks all crossing over the bull horn at the last minute. Then there is everyone sitting in the middle lane with their indicator on, just waiting to get over, effectively stopping all traffic behind them. Chaos!

Seriously though, was this not thought through? Someone had to approve this? I am hoping it is extremely temporary.

I came and found this forum just to complain about this, it's so egregiously terrible. I can't believe this is how things are going to be for that long, it would honestly almost be better to have the express be closed entirely between mavis and the 403 at this point.

Back