News   Apr 24, 2024
 174     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 420     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 455     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

It's literally the MTO, the Ministry for Cars and Trucks and Sometimes Buses (but only because we have to).

Highway interchanges are universally awful for pedestrians. The Gardiner/Lakeshore interface is probably the worst pedestrian experience (it's an experience alright) downtown.

It's literally the MTO, the Ministry for Cars and Trucks and Sometimes Buses (but only because we have to).

Highway interchanges are universally awful for pedestrians. The Gardiner/Lakeshore interface is probably the worst pedestrian experience (it's an experience alright) downtown.
alas, if only the Gardiner was or ever had been owned or maintained by the MTO... nope, it's always been a City property. That one's blame can't go to them.

^I dunno. It’s pretty primitive, and would be impassible for anyone with a mobility device, but there was a non-grassy surface wide enough for a single person to walk on pretty much throughout. Unless you were a marathon runner in training, or got off a bus there in error, the odds of anyone ever walking there is pretty low. I doubt it would be passible with snow on the ground, especially once plows had passed on the roadways.
At least a newer and more demanding spec was applied in the parking area, and at signalled crossings. It will take time (decades?) to close all these gaps.

- Paul

Cheesus crust watching that video makes me cringe using this area as a pedestrian. Sure there may not be a lot of people walking here but at least have some basic infrastructure. The fact this wasn't incorporated / retrofitted in the current project seems insane to me. It's 2022, not 1962.
Maybe later they would add the concrete sidewalks, just wait and see.

Winston Churchill, Creditview, Mississauga Rd, Trafalgar Rd, 6th line, James Snow Pkwy, Steeles and Regional Rd 24 have no sidewalks before the overpass and don't see any plans to add them under the current contract, other than on the new overpass being built or being rebuilt. Another example you need a car to get around and been an able person to walk on these no sidewalk roads.

The video clearly show that the area between the Credit River and Winston Churchill is months away from being ready to be use like I saw it some weeks ago.

I just had an interesting thought. The westbound exit to Hurontario from the express can also be used as an exit to Mavis. As soon as the tunnel ends there can be an option lane that merges to the collectors. That way the future transfer to Mississauga Rd/Winston Churchill can be moved further west. I would email MTO but I don't know if they will read it.

Looks like things are just beginning to wrap up in the West. Lots of grinding/paving operations this week for the final asphalt layer. The major bottlenecks to construction completion, which are the train bridge at hwy 25, bridge just before credit river and the credit river bridge are starting to wrap up. They have more work to do on the train bridge near hwy 25, but the other two are at-grade now and the decks are on. Most of the barrier walls are poured and lines painted on the new sections (old express).

They have to put up the big, digital signs still as I can see them sitting on the highway in Milton and just before Mississauga rd. Not sure it they will have all this done by Nov 1, but I'm sure they want it wrapped up before winter!

Also, far far west, they have begin realignment onto the new collector lanes past Townline, heading West and rip up of the old express lanes.

I have driven through that west Mississauga section 3 times in the last week in a half and I am shocked that they would put any part of the 401 down to 2 lanes. Am I wrong in saying this? The back up was crazy on Sunday.

I have driven through that west Mississauga section 3 times in the last week in a half and I am shocked that they would put any part of the 401 down to 2 lanes. Am I wrong in saying this? The back up was crazy on Sunday.
It been that way from day one as well for the phase to the east of this one.

There were sections where you saw 3 lanes from time to time that would cause backup going back down to 2 lanes.

I am assuming you did both direction with the east bound being the worse.

I figure the CN Halton Sub bridge would be the last thing from opening up all 5 lanes in both direction until the very end from my travels.

After driving the section of the 401(407 to 25) I really think they made a massive mistake to not bring the 12 lanes all the way past to end just west of Milton.

My biggest fear is now where the collectors and express merge, it'll be a massive bottleneck right in the middle of Milton.

After driving the section of the 401(407 to 25) I really think they made a massive mistake to not bring the 12 lanes all the way past to end just west of Milton.

My biggest fear is now where the collectors and express merge, it'll be a massive bottleneck right in the middle of Milton.
There are width limits in certain areas heading to Kitchener that they didn't have enough room to provide the full collector package. unfortunately

Back