News   Mar 28, 2024
 525     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 409     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 748     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Hard to believe it's almost done. Really seemed to go much faster than the widenings to Hurontario and the Credit River

Hard to believe it's almost done. Really seemed to go much faster than the widenings to Hurontario and the Credit River
Concrete is slow placement vs asphalt with asphalt being a lot faster.

Aug 07
In the next few weeks, you will be driving on 2 construction lanes in the new express lanes that have speed 100 km signs up for them, You are currently using some of the new 5 lane section with 3 lanes only. This for westbound only since we came back a different route and no idea for eastbound lanes.

Credit River area.
The new express Bridges over the river complete including the paving of them. Still need backfilling to connect to the new lanes yet still to be built.

The eastside still missing barriers as the road to connect to the existing lanes.

The centre barrier still missing between the the express lanes west of the river to the Orangeville bridge.. Didn't get a look at the Orangeville bridge to see if it was complete. Lots of work still require for the express lanes

Creditview overpass is almost completed with the top coat to be place as well the connection to the existing road at both ends. Bridge built for 4 lanes with only 2 going into service.

West of Derry road, construction lanes markings on the express lane as well where it becomes 5 lanes for the 407 area. Was travelling on some of the new 5 lanes areas as 3 lanes.

Where the express lane come back into play on the westside of 407, construction lane markings are in place along with speed 100 km signs, All HOV signs wrap up.

Was using some of the 5 lanes section from James Snow to west of 24.

The CN Bridge still not finish with a ton of backfilling to be done.

Lots of work still be done to have this fully completed by year end to the point, not will be done by then.

Cambridge.
Move work taking place to widen 401 to 5 lanes on both side where it has become 5 lanes, but still 3 lanes of traffic. Missing centre barrier near hwy 24.

Piers in place for the southbound new 24 overpass lanes with girders that could be install this month.

Grand River
Used the new bridge that is a lot higher over the river as well the old westbound lanes that being use for eastbound traffic.

Since my Sony camera is now officially dead, couldn't get the shot like I did in the past with the DSRL this time.

Collector/express system now open, westbound only, from just after the 407 all the way to James Snow. Have been taking the collectors this week and have been flying down that stretch while the express crawls (afternoon rush).

Not sure why they have two lanes closed at Trafalgar EB 401 at 6 in the morning though, oh well, short-term headaches for progress I guess.

Collector/express system now open, westbound only, from just after the 407 all the way to James Snow. Have been taking the collectors this week and have been flying down that stretch while the express crawls (afternoon rush).

Not sure why they have two lanes closed at Trafalgar EB 401 at 6 in the morning though, oh well, short-term headaches for progress I guess.
In my opinion they should have built the 12 lanes up to Tremaine Rd overpass.

Probably didn't have room for 2 more lanes as I think from that section onwards it is 10 lanes towards Guelph.
All bridges being rebuilt 100% west of Milton to Windsor will have up to 10 lanes of traffic. Even some or the bridges to Montreal are being built to support 10 lanes.

Some sections needs to 4 lanes now.

Even 403 to Hamilton bridges will support 10 lanes in most places for overpasses.

Try driving on some of the IXXX highways in the US is a bitch for 2 lanes these days that you are lucky to be doing 50 mph..

Between Milton and KW is to become 10 lanes in the next decade and then 6 to Woodstock. Needs to be 4 to London and 3 to Windsor.

Thanks. When I first saw your post I was thinking "That's not news, I've been using these new collectors for a few months now." After picking somebody up at the airport on Friday and taking my usual route onto them though, I realized just how much longer they've become and how much more nasty traffic they bypass. Suddenly your post made a lot more sense! (In fact I just came here to apologize because I thought I'd fired off a knee-jerk snippy reply.)

Also, you have to be careful when trying to hop on to them, a month or two ago I was a little too eager and accidentally got myself onto the 407 westbound. The on ramps to both the 407 west and these new collectors are so short that you don't get any time to think. Make sure you've passed under the 407 and wait for the Trafalgar sign, which doesn't make it clear that you're exiting onto collectors and not just straight on to Trafalgar.

Last edited:
While somewhere in Mississauga, I went to check out the 401 construction at Mississauga Road:

Cheesus crust watching that video makes me cringe using this area as a pedestrian. Sure there may not be a lot of people walking here but at least have some basic infrastructure. The fact this wasn't incorporated / retrofitted in the current project seems insane to me. It's 2022, not 1962.

Back