News   Apr 16, 2024
 253     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     6 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Looks like haft of the eastbound bridge over the Credit River has been pour.

Lots of paving taking place on both side of the 401 from the Credit River to James Snow Parkway.

The westbound off ramp to Trafalgar Rd is close until late Aug or when they get the new traffic lights install. They have rebuild 4 lanes east of the old road to the new one with curbs to allow left and right turning which is odd considering there is one on the west side as well. The only thing I can think of for doing this that there will be a parking lot there for GO Transit pickup/drop off area.

New longer lane being built for the outlet mall entrance off Trafalgar Rd.

No fix date yet when the old bridge will be remove, but being use for the on ramp going west while the new one off the new bridge is being built.

Cannot built the correct ramp to go east until the old bridge is remove.

Sixth line now has an Aug opening date sign with no date on it other than Aug.

Photos to follow in Aug.

As of last night, the westbound lanes of the 401 between Townline and Franklin in Cambridge have shifted to the newly paved section before switching back after Franklin. The exit to Hespeler continues on the new section from the Franklin overpass. It appears that they were doing a lot of work paving between Hespeler and Franklin in the eastbound direction as well, last night, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Franklin exits open up soon.

Lanes were painted on the newly paved collectors heading westbound between James Snow Parkway and 25, which suggests that they will be shifting westbound traffic over soon. There are some fairly significant grade differences to the new surface they've been constructing, so I imagine there will be quite a bit of work rebuilding the express lanes.

Eastbound traffic in Cambridge between Townline and Franklin is now also shifted to the newly paved section and construction is now starting on the centre lanes in both directions there.

I meant to get off at Winston Churchill one night a few weeks ago, but the exit was closed due to the crash dividers being replaced. Then Trafalgar was closed. A bit inconvenient to have to go all the way to James Snow to double-back. They could have had a sign warning people to get off on Mississauga Rd!

Trafalgar bridge is knocked down!
And they shifted a portion of traffic to the new collector lanes
Way to kill two birds with one stone!

I meant to get off at Winston Churchill one night a few weeks ago, but the exit was closed due to the crash dividers being replaced. Then Trafalgar was closed. A bit inconvenient to have to go all the way to James Snow to double-back. They could have had a sign warning people to get off on Mississauga Rd!
That's unusual...the Ministry never lets subsequent interchange ramps be closed at the same time. Must have a been a combination of unlikely factors that led to that happening

I agree. The Trafalgar closure seems longer term/related to the widening. The Winston Churchill closure was maybe more ad hoc replacement of the crumple barrier on the exit. Still, I don't think those are replaced immediately, so they had time to warn people before Mississauga Rd that the next two exits were closed. I forgive them, but I wish I had gotten off earlier!

I was impressed when I drove the 401 last night - the shift of lanes really changes one’s subjective impression of progress. Up until this point, all the work seemed to be perpetual with no end in sight. Now that stretch looks like a highway coming together. I know there is lots left to accomplish, but seeing those new outer lanes in service (albeit on a temporary paved surfac in lots of places) gives the ssense that the bridgework and widening is concluding and now the roadway itself can be constructed.

Can anyone recall when they poured the solid center median? Nothing lasts forever, but it sure seems that they are tearing up a not-so-old highway and building a new one. Those poured medians are “recent” in my mind.

- Paul

I was impressed when I drove the 401 last night - the shift of lanes really changes one’s subjective impression of progress. Up until this point, all the work seemed to be perpetual with no end in sight. Now that stretch looks like a highway coming together. I know there is lots left to accomplish, but seeing those new outer lanes in service (albeit on a temporary paved surfac in lots of places) gives the ssense that the bridgework and widening is concluding and now the roadway itself can be constructed.

Can anyone recall when they poured the solid center median? Nothing lasts forever, but it sure seems that they are tearing up a not-so-old highway and building a new one. Those poured medians are “recent” in my mind.

- Paul
I'm not sure but it's a good opportunity to replace the centre concrete median I guess since the rest of the highway is being reconstructed. I recall it being quite small / below standard in some areas.

Here in the London area they're also replacing the median which is surprising. The tall wall looked to be in great shape but I guess looks can be deceiving. Perhaps the inner structure gets porous / cracked after so many expansions/contractions from water seeping in and freezing during the winter as well as salt and general weathering. I'd assume the new concrete walls are much stronger/more reinforced than before so good safety upgrade.

You can see new vs old here- looks like they left some of the old median below the overpass since the bridge will be rebuilt soon:

But either way- yes the widening is really starting to show it's true scale now. I still find it hard to believe collectors are being built west of the 407. I would have thought that would be the hard western limit of the system, with just a simple but wide highway continuing to Miltion (and eventually to K/W).

But either way- yes the widening is really starting to show it's true scale now. I still find it hard to believe collectors are being built west of the 407. I would have thought that would be the hard western limit of the system, with just a simple but wide highway continuing to Miltion (and eventually to K/W).

MTO knows the stretch of 401 from Halton Hills/Georgetown and Milton into KW is primed for large population, industrial and commercial growth. Factor in the massive amount of commercial real estate development that will happen in Hamilton and Brantford over the next 10+ years and the western 401 corridor is primed for some noticeable increases in traffic levels.

The new Tremaine interchange and CN intermodal hub will add a lot of traffic west of the 407. Curiously the creek and road bridges between Hwy 25 and Guelph Line were already widened some years ago. I wonder how long before that bit finally sees extra lanes?

The new Tremaine interchange and CN intermodal hub will add a lot of traffic west of the 407. Curiously the creek and road bridges between Hwy 25 and Guelph Line were already widened some years ago. I wonder how long before that bit finally sees extra lanes?
All underpasses were rebuilt a few years ago along widen them for future lanes and this include the one near James Snow Parkway. Only a few overpass still have to be rebuilt to allow for the 10 lanes with some already done.

The work for the underpass west of 25 may see lanes added when the new interchange comes on line. It will be some years before the Guelph RR underpass see lanes and most likely part of the next phase of expansion.

As for the work on the median centre barrier between 403 and London, was head scratching as I could not see anything that would require it to be be rebuilt other than the curve area. The curve area ones are higher and block the headlights of on coming traffic which I like and love to see it for the straight ones as well. Unless you walk the area and have a closer look, you may have seen why work took place for the barrier. You may have seen issues if you were doing 70km in the passing lane or less, but not at 100 plus.

I don't believe MTO has even formally completed the EA for widening the 401 past Highway 25 to the Wellington County Boundary, have they? I know they completed from Wellington County to Kitchener.

Oct 17
First of all, I need the members to tell me how to post photos for 11 locations I shot today as any attempt will exceed my max limit and do not want to photo bomb this thread. A number of locations can get away with 2 photos, well a few need four and a few need more than 4 to give a full view what has taken place since my last shoot. It can be broken down to 3 postings and leave it up to the members to advise what to do. Shot 150, but not happy with a few that will require a reshoot as I was pushing the limit for zoom.

Credit River
Both bridges are pave with the eastbound more advance than the west with paving up to the east section already completed.

Creditview Overpass bridge.
A single lane of traffic in both directions is using the southbound lanes as the northbound lanes cannot be complete until the new collector lanes are open to allow the rest of the east retaining wall to be built after the access road is remove.

Mississauga Rd
The carpool lot is being rebuilt 3 times larger with access to the westbound ramp. Both collector lanes need work between Mississauga Rd and the Creditview overpass.

Derry Rd
Both collector lanes bridges are completed that still require back filling and paving. The westbound bridge is more advance than the eastbound that traffic should be using it by Dec. The eastbound one needs a lot of work up to Mississauga road.

Winston Churchill
The overpass is being rebuilt with the northbound lanes completed. Where the old southbound ramp to 401 westbound used to be has open up a huge area and being graded. Most likely for a Carpool lot.

Traffic
Traffic was wide open going westbound at the pinch point with traffic slow moving traffic with stop and go taking place west of Mississauga Rd to Trafalgar Rd off ramp. Traffic is reduce to 2 lanes in the 407 area and resume to 3 just before Trafalgar Rd in the new collector 3 lanes.

How To Bypass Traffic Backup At Winston Churchill
If you use the 401 in both direction daily or sometime, I assume you can do this in both direction as I did this for westbound since I never use the eastbound. You use the off ramp to Winston Churchill that has 2 lanes, but use the south one as goes under the overpass as well the 407 overpasses. It then goes under the 407 flyover that connects to the westbound 401 lanes. You will then rejoin the westbound traffic that is starting see higher speed than it had been seeing.

407 Interchange
The new collectors lanes for the 407 area are complete and open and really help me jump the traffic backup at Winston Churchill. Not sure if the support retaining walls for the piers are going to remain the same way on completion or just to allow shifting of lanes and to be finish off next year to speed things up.

Trafalgar Rd
Piers has been place to support the traffic lights for the off ramp for the westbound. Still a lot of roadwork to be done yet. All the existing lanes are being torn up and being remove. New storm water system being install as well building a new bridge over Sixteen Mile Creek. Looks like a Carpool is to be built on the westside of Trafalgar Rd on the north side.

Sixth Line Bridge
Been able to shoot off the bridge now is open gives a closure look at Sixteen Mile Creek work. Sixth Line bridge has a new style of railing barrier I haven't seen before.

James Snow Parkway
Work on the old 401 lanes is very advance to the point various areas are ready to see centre barrier build along with barriers for the collector lanes and paving, Still work to be done for the ramps.

Steeles Ave
This area is just like James Snow.

Road 25
Works is still taking place on the bridge and ramps. Again another area like James and Steels for the old 401.

The new express lanes between 25 and 407 will be open well in advance of the area to the east. Until I saw all locations, it was looking like a 2023 completion date. Jersey barriers being use in place of concrete barriers that still have to be built to allow shifting of lanes and working on the express lanes.

Taking my first drive on the new collector lanes around the 407 and the fly under was fun. Expect to see some more lane shifting before the year is out.

Now have to do a video of the whole thing as non stopping along the way.

Hard too see what is taking place west of 25 and need to be on the 401 to see it.

Oct 17
First of all, I need the members to tell me how to post photos for 11 locations I shot today as any attempt will exceed my max limit and do not want to photo bomb this thread.

I think that you could split it into three posts, Mississauga, Credit area, and Milton. Your previous posts have all been great at showing a wide variety of unique views without duplication, so I wouldn't worry about that. Do what you do, I really appreciate it.

Back