News   Sep 24, 2021
 1.2K     2 
News   Sep 24, 2021
 1.9K     3 
News   Sep 24, 2021
 1.8K     1 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like haft of the eastbound bridge over the Credit River has been pour.

Lots of paving taking place on both side of the 401 from the Credit River to James Snow Parkway.

The westbound off ramp to Trafalgar Rd is close until late Aug or when they get the new traffic lights install. They have rebuild 4 lanes east of the old road to the new one with curbs to allow left and right turning which is odd considering there is one on the west side as well. The only thing I can think of for doing this that there will be a parking lot there for GO Transit pickup/drop off area.

New longer lane being built for the outlet mall entrance off Trafalgar Rd.

No fix date yet when the old bridge will be remove, but being use for the on ramp going west while the new one off the new bridge is being built.

Cannot built the correct ramp to go east until the old bridge is remove.

Sixth line now has an Aug opening date sign with no date on it other than Aug.

Photos to follow in Aug.

jamincan

Member Bio
Reaction score
As of last night, the westbound lanes of the 401 between Townline and Franklin in Cambridge have shifted to the newly paved section before switching back after Franklin. The exit to Hespeler continues on the new section from the Franklin overpass. It appears that they were doing a lot of work paving between Hespeler and Franklin in the eastbound direction as well, last night, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Franklin exits open up soon.

jamincan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Lanes were painted on the newly paved collectors heading westbound between James Snow Parkway and 25, which suggests that they will be shifting westbound traffic over soon. There are some fairly significant grade differences to the new surface they've been constructing, so I imagine there will be quite a bit of work rebuilding the express lanes.

Eastbound traffic in Cambridge between Townline and Franklin is now also shifted to the newly paved section and construction is now starting on the centre lanes in both directions there.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
I meant to get off at Winston Churchill one night a few weeks ago, but the exit was closed due to the crash dividers being replaced. Then Trafalgar was closed. A bit inconvenient to have to go all the way to James Snow to double-back. They could have had a sign warning people to get off on Mississauga Rd!

mtomo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Trafalgar bridge is knocked down!
And they shifted a portion of traffic to the new collector lanes
Way to kill two birds with one stone!

darth_freeman

Member Bio
Reaction score
I meant to get off at Winston Churchill one night a few weeks ago, but the exit was closed due to the crash dividers being replaced. Then Trafalgar was closed. A bit inconvenient to have to go all the way to James Snow to double-back. They could have had a sign warning people to get off on Mississauga Rd!
That's unusual...the Ministry never lets subsequent interchange ramps be closed at the same time. Must have a been a combination of unlikely factors that led to that happening

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree. The Trafalgar closure seems longer term/related to the widening. The Winston Churchill closure was maybe more ad hoc replacement of the crumple barrier on the exit. Still, I don't think those are replaced immediately, so they had time to warn people before Mississauga Rd that the next two exits were closed. I forgive them, but I wish I had gotten off earlier!

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was impressed when I drove the 401 last night - the shift of lanes really changes one’s subjective impression of progress. Up until this point, all the work seemed to be perpetual with no end in sight. Now that stretch looks like a highway coming together. I know there is lots left to accomplish, but seeing those new outer lanes in service (albeit on a temporary paved surfac in lots of places) gives the ssense that the bridgework and widening is concluding and now the roadway itself can be constructed.

Can anyone recall when they poured the solid center median? Nothing lasts forever, but it sure seems that they are tearing up a not-so-old highway and building a new one. Those poured medians are “recent” in my mind.

- Paul

Haljackey

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was impressed when I drove the 401 last night - the shift of lanes really changes one’s subjective impression of progress. Up until this point, all the work seemed to be perpetual with no end in sight. Now that stretch looks like a highway coming together. I know there is lots left to accomplish, but seeing those new outer lanes in service (albeit on a temporary paved surfac in lots of places) gives the ssense that the bridgework and widening is concluding and now the roadway itself can be constructed.

Can anyone recall when they poured the solid center median? Nothing lasts forever, but it sure seems that they are tearing up a not-so-old highway and building a new one. Those poured medians are “recent” in my mind.

- Paul
I'm not sure but it's a good opportunity to replace the centre concrete median I guess since the rest of the highway is being reconstructed. I recall it being quite small / below standard in some areas.

Here in the London area they're also replacing the median which is surprising. The tall wall looked to be in great shape but I guess looks can be deceiving. Perhaps the inner structure gets porous / cracked after so many expansions/contractions from water seeping in and freezing during the winter as well as salt and general weathering. I'd assume the new concrete walls are much stronger/more reinforced than before so good safety upgrade.

You can see new vs old here- looks like they left some of the old median below the overpass since the bridge will be rebuilt soon:

But either way- yes the widening is really starting to show it's true scale now. I still find it hard to believe collectors are being built west of the 407. I would have thought that would be the hard western limit of the system, with just a simple but wide highway continuing to Miltion (and eventually to K/W).

Translude15

Frank the Tank
Member Bio
Reaction score
But either way- yes the widening is really starting to show it's true scale now. I still find it hard to believe collectors are being built west of the 407. I would have thought that would be the hard western limit of the system, with just a simple but wide highway continuing to Miltion (and eventually to K/W).

MTO knows the stretch of 401 from Halton Hills/Georgetown and Milton into KW is primed for large population, industrial and commercial growth. Factor in the massive amount of commercial real estate development that will happen in Hamilton and Brantford over the next 10+ years and the western 401 corridor is primed for some noticeable increases in traffic levels.

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
The new Tremaine interchange and CN intermodal hub will add a lot of traffic west of the 407. Curiously the creek and road bridges between Hwy 25 and Guelph Line were already widened some years ago. I wonder how long before that bit finally sees extra lanes?

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The new Tremaine interchange and CN intermodal hub will add a lot of traffic west of the 407. Curiously the creek and road bridges between Hwy 25 and Guelph Line were already widened some years ago. I wonder how long before that bit finally sees extra lanes?
All underpasses were rebuilt a few years ago along widen them for future lanes and this include the one near James Snow Parkway. Only a few overpass still have to be rebuilt to allow for the 10 lanes with some already done.

The work for the underpass west of 25 may see lanes added when the new interchange comes on line. It will be some years before the Guelph RR underpass see lanes and most likely part of the next phase of expansion.

As for the work on the median centre barrier between 403 and London, was head scratching as I could not see anything that would require it to be be rebuilt other than the curve area. The curve area ones are higher and block the headlights of on coming traffic which I like and love to see it for the straight ones as well. Unless you walk the area and have a closer look, you may have seen why work took place for the barrier. You may have seen issues if you were doing 70km in the passing lane or less, but not at 100 plus.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't believe MTO has even formally completed the EA for widening the 401 past Highway 25 to the Wellington County Boundary, have they? I know they completed from Wellington County to Kitchener.