News   Apr 23, 2024
 122     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 338     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Is that the new bridge over the Credit? I hadn't realized they'd even tendered that piece. Not sure how I missed that on the only time I drove over it back in January since ... sigh ... late 2019.
Everything from the east side of the Credit River to Regional Rd 25 is a P3 with West Corridor Constructors (Amico Infrastructures Inc, Parsons Corporation, Amico) doing it at around $650 Million to be completed in 2022. The foundations for the Credit River bridge was in place in Jan when I last saw the area waiting for beams for the bridge

They started fall of 2020 and have been going gang buster on it. As far as I can tell, cheap asphalt road for this area unlike concrete for the rest. Then the asphalt could be the base for the concrete.

Other than Derry Rd, all bridges structure are in place for concrete forming or waiting back filling.

By summer, you maybe using the new westbound collectors lane as it more advance than the eastbound. They need to get traffic onto the collectors lanes ASP so they do the existing lanes to met fall 2022 date.

Driving westbound on Friday, they where starting to place plywood on the westbound bridge for deck support and a small crew. There is a huge gap between the new bridge and the current one and vary for both direction with the westbound being larger.

This is how to do a highway widening project. Not the ten year insanity of Hurontario to Creditview.

This is how to do a highway widening project. Not the ten year insanity of Hurontario to Creditview.
That should be from the 401/403/410 interchange under a P3 with Dufferin Construction and MTO calling the shots for time frame. Having $$$ = fast work where lack of funds = slow work.

Dufferin wasn't playing around for its contract as it would be costing them money doing so. Doing concrete road is slower than asphalt as well more work.

That should be from the 401/403/410 interchange under a P3 with Dufferin Construction and MTO calling the shots for time frame. Having $$$ = fast work where lack of funds = slow work.

Dufferin wasn't playing around for its contract as it would be costing them money doing so. Doing concrete road is slower than asphalt as well more work.
I'm not blaming the contractor. I'm blaming government mismanagement. We spent the money either way, I imagine it cost more overall to do it slowly and piecemeal. Kind of like building a house a room at a time rather than all at once. The province has a 'line of credit' in the form of borrowing, there is no need to do it slowly due to 'lack of funds'. We were always going to spend the money.

Seems to me that it's more than 10 years since the second biggest structure along this extension was built - the new Hurontario bridge with it's spans for collector lanes.

Seems to me that it's more than 10 years since the second biggest structure along this extension was built - the new Hurontario bridge with it's spans for collector lanes.
First EA was 2007 and the 2nd 2013.

Work started around April 2011 on Hurontario overpass with forming and pouring of the bridge in 2012-13. Some photos up on site

If I remember correctly, the 401/403/410 interchange work started in 2009 and I don't see any on my site that could be part of the 30,000+ photos lost by Flickr.

<http://www.401expansion-mississauga.ca>
<https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Hwy-401-Expansion/>
<https://401expansion-mississauga-milton.ca/about-this-project/about/>

Any information on widening the 401 from Townline rd in Cambridge to the new to-be built hwy 6 alignments in Guelph?

I see a ton of progress happening in Milton, I am sure it will be years until they connect the dots between Guelph and Milton

Any information on widening the 401 from Townline rd in Cambridge to the new to-be built hwy 6 alignments in Guelph?

I see a ton of progress happening in Milton, I am sure it will be years until they connect the dots between Guelph and Milton
Not here, then Google is your best friend

Phase two of Highway 401 expansion underway in Cambridge, closures expected in coming months

Cambridge Highway 401 Expansion

<https://highways6and401hamiltontoguelph.ca>

Province inviting comments on Morriston bypass design

Will get some shots this weekend and next week. I expect to see a big change from my last visit as we are to be at 60% point and to be ready next year for full use. Lets see how cheap they are doing this phase compare the east section completed last year.

Watching the video, I haven't miss much since my last visit. Looking at the new new collector lanes, I am lost to the point are we to see concrete lanes or asphalt or both? I have only seen asphalt been places first hand still see it with a thicker base now in the video as well concrete. Are they going to place concrete on top of the ashplant as that wasn't done on Dufferin section?.

What the video is saying, not at 50% yet and some sections way behind. Six Line bridge is pour as well the eastbound lane over Derry Rd. Hard to say is the Credit River Bridge is pour. The section between the Credit River and Mississauga Rd is been raise a fair amount.

June 13
Creditview road is close to August and most likely be Sept. The west sidewalk is wider than the east to the point this is where bike lanes will be.

The westbound Credit River Bridge looks like it been rebar and waiting concrete pour. Rebar yet to be install on the eastbound bridge.

The retaining walls on the bridge are ready to be form and concrete pour for them.

I noticed they move the on ramp further east for the east bound ramp that you are almost at the RR bridge now getting onto the 401
51244941982_016e56f548_b.jpg

51245651386_42ee9a9e52_b.jpg

51244942232_3043fb7187_b.jpg

51246710505_0ea0c1648f_b.jpg

51246710720_b5d5196d3f_b.jpg

51245652061_67189e9856_b.jpg

51245855028_5431a8975e_b.jpg

51245652271_c1dd01c8f9_b.jpg

51246415089_2d164a9e5b_b.jpg

51245652391_80cc2a515b_b.jpg

51245652491_aef6dbba97_b.jpg

51246415419_ba35fa623f_b.jpg

July 03
In the next few months, traffic will be using the new collectors lanes in various locations until missing sections join them this year, Some areas cannot be started or finish until traffic is shifted. Various traffic signs up including 100 km and off ramp info are in place without painted strips for lanes.

By Sept, traffic should be using the new Trafalgar Rd overpass as the bridge is pave with railing on it as well most of the new road. When fully completed in 2022, there will be no more traffic lights at either end like it is today. Can't build the westbound to southbound ramp until the the current bridge is remove as well the the westbound on ramp for the northbound lane. The westbound on ramp has to be graded to match the current new slopping lanes. The bridge is built for 8 lanes with only 4 lanes of traffic on either side. Provision to move to 6 lanes in the future depending on the embankment still to be place. The other 2 lanes are for ramps.

Both Trafalgar and 25 Rd have 6' wide sidewalks on them compare to the 3-4' found on other bridges if they have a sidewalk in the first place.

Line 6 bridge is supposed to open July 31 with backfilling for the road underway on both sides. Retaining wall still being form

No concrete in place for either bridge over the Credit River.

The Milton CN overpass is having retaining walls pour and pavement place on the overpass as well the section missing between the collector lanes already pave.

Did not look at Creditview, Derry or Mississauga overpasses today.

Westbound express lanes was almost backup to Hurontario to the point I use the collectors that were wide open until the off ramp a Mavis. It was slow going to Trafalgar going as well coming back a few hours later.

Halton Hills Outlet has open a few more floors for parking and over a year when cars were allow above ground. Long line ups and good thing I wasn't buying other that shots from the top deck.
51288100576_473cf4212a_b.jpg

51288098086_95ff686355_b.jpg

51289104795_fa40123140_b.jpg

51288252548_6fa564cce3_b.jpg

51288803244_096f312ea6_b.jpg

51288251148_eed6b894d6_b.jpg

51288250418_04401b6c95_b.jpg

51288800209_03ac81117a_b.jpg

51287330442_2be84a41be_b.jpg

51288081541_296f4642e7_b.jpg

51289091225_e86295f036_b.jpg

51288075961_6427642e0b_b.jpg

51288075256_174a8877aa_b.jpg

51287322447_0fe322e25d_b.jpg

Driving home yesterday I noticed southbound traffic on Trafalgar was using the new bridge and the exit from westbound 401 to Trafalgar had been closed.

Driving home yesterday I noticed southbound traffic on Trafalgar was using the new bridge and the exit from westbound 401 to Trafalgar had been closed.
There is a closure for the westbound off ramp at Trafalgar at the end of the month weekend. Until they built the new southbound off ramp for Trafalgar, no idea how traffic can go south once the northbound lanes are open.

Sunday saw the westbound express lanes backup west of Mavis and expect to run into the same for the collectors when we got on at Mavis, but they were wide open to the merge section at the Credit River. The new eastbound Credit River Bridge is setup to see concrete pour for it this week with the westbound to follow it after it.

The old Creditview bridge has been removed while away that allows for more work on the new collector lanes. The new Derry Rd bridges are mostly pour, but the centre section at the pier support needs to be form and pour.

Both the westbound ramps to 407 and Trafalgar were close this weekend. Traffic was using the new Trafalgar bridge which means the old bridge will be remove shortly.

Six Line bridge will be opening sometime in Aug, not July 31 as it far from completion for next weekend plan opening.

More of the new collector lanes are being use for off ramp now than before to the point the eastbound ramp off 25 now goes over the new CN bridge and then connect to the 401.Crews were working on the westbound lanes over the CN bridge and looks like it will be open in a week or so. New concrete barriers being pour to cause the longer use of the new collector lanes.

Will say most of the new collector lanes from the Townline interchange to 24 is pave until the new 24 bridge is built. Never came back this way to have a look at the eastbound lanes.

Traffic was real heavy going west, but not as bad as it was for the eastbound. On our trip from Montreal on Friday, hate to be going east as it was slow and very heavy even cross Toronto at 1 pm. Guess with borders now open, people going camping and on holiday.

Outside of Quebec, I love our travel on the east coast highway and streets as they had more respect for other drivers, but mostly for pedestrian's. To bad it can't be done here.

No photos for this trip.

Back