News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 980     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 369     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Sad, perhaps, but completely warranted, as I explained on the last page.

And with the widening of the 401, it would've had to have been closed anyways for a year to build the new bridge.

I thought the new bridge was only supposed to take like a month to build?
How long do you think it will take to build the foundation and the piers to support the bridge??

If you prebuild the bridge on site as 2-4 complete sections, you can put it in place either at night or a weekend and this mean shutting down the 401 to do it.

I have no idea how long it takes to build. I think my brother is the one who said it would take a month to build, and he lives in Old Meadowvale so he attended one of those meetings about the removal of the bridge.

Keep in mind the new bridge is being built where the existing bridge was. So after the one night demolition over 401, there is still a lot of removal work to be done at each pier, abutment, etc.

Then the new foundations and piers, etc. have to be built for the pedestrian bridge, and the workzones on Highway 401 below must be configured to allow access at those locations. So it will probably be a full year or more between the closure and opening of the new bridge.

Keep in mind the new bridge is being built where the existing bridge was. So after the one night demolition over 401, there is still a lot of removal work to be done at each pier, abutment, etc.

Then the new foundations and piers, etc. have to be built for the pedestrian bridge, and the workzones on Highway 401 below must be configured to allow access at those locations. So it will probably be a full year or more between the closure and opening of the new bridge.
Once the bridge is down, they have to excavate the embankment to allow for the new collectors lanes and building the embankment pier.

I stand to be corrected, as its been too long since I was at a meeting and seeing the plan, but I believe the new bridge will be steel.

If its steel, you can build the foundation to support steel piers on either side of the current 401 and in the centre. Doing the centre will require traffic being to the right to allow the building of the centre pier.

Once all the foundation is in place and the embankment piers, the 401 will be close one night to allow the erection of the bridge piers and the bridge over the current 401 lanes. The bridge over the new collector lanes will happen at the same time, but don't require the 401 to be close to do it.

If steel, it should be box frame 100% completed as 4 sections to be lifted into place.

Once that is done, then both ends will be rebuilt to connect to the bridge.

If all the piers are concrete, will take a longer time to build them steel.

The earliest you can see the bridge open is spring 2017

The bridge has been closed now and the traffic on Mavis has been horrible...I hope they will reconsider making a bridge that will allow vehicles. It's added approximately 15min to my commute one way! It's so frustrating. Anyone else experiencing the same?

You are missing the point. Someone comes up with a dumb idea to remove a road bridge and replace it with a pedestrian bridge. They hope nobody is paying attention and get it through an EA, where only a few locals are really paying attention. Now they have the authority to build something the general public thinks is a terrible idea. There is no turning back until a different set of politics gets involved.

I have no idea how this project is going ahead, but if there is no pressure to build it fast, then each of the piers and abutments will be built when the staging on the 401 is shifted to provide access, which could be years apart.

You are missing the point. Someone comes up with a dumb idea to remove a road bridge and replace it with a pedestrian bridge. They hope nobody is paying attention and get it through an EA, where only a few locals are really paying attention. Now they have the authority to build something the general public thinks is a terrible idea. There is no turning back until a different set of politics gets involved.

I have no idea how this project is going ahead, but if there is no pressure to build it fast, then each of the piers and abutments will be built when the staging on the 401 is shifted to provide access, which could be years apart.
That community thought it was the best idea ever to stop random cars from showing up there. Until they discover the problem... hope they are enjoying their commute. Mississauga is already bad for congestion and it keeps piling up.

You are the one who is missing the point. This has nothing to do with pedestrians. Second Line West was always planned to be closed. That's why they built Mavis Road as an alternative. Mavis Road is not a concession. North of Eglinton, it was a new road that never existed before, and the only reason it exists is to make way for the closure of Second Line West and act as a bypass for Meadowvale Village.

It was the same with Old Derry Road vs. Derry Road. Nothing was lost for motorists. Nothing. This was not an attack on cars or an attack on the locals. The entire purpose of these Derry and Mavis bypasses was to help motorists and to help the locals at the same time.

Look at a map and educate yourself before you call other people dumb.

Edit: And by the way, that bridge was planned to be torn down without any replacement and that pedestrian/cycling bridge was only added to plans recently at the request of the locals. Locals such as myself. You think they are ignoring the desires of the locals, you are the only one who has not been paying attention.

Last edited:
c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg

And let's be real... the traffic on Mavis has nothing to do with the closure of this bridge. No one used the bridge to begin with. It was desolate even in the middle of rush hour. The very few people who used Second Line aren't the reason why Mavis is bad. I'd know, I lived right on Second Line for nearly 10 years, and moved a block away for another 10.

Might as well blame traffic on Yonge Street on the closure of the Second Line bridge, since it probably has just as much of an impact on that as it does on Mavis.

You think they are ignoring the desires of the locals, you are the only one who has not been paying attention.

Except I said they listened to (a few) locals, and not the broader public.

The problem here is that the two bridges have been around for 30 years. Elsewhere on 401 and 403 they have mid concession crossings so the broader public, the do not pay attention, could easily expect that the bridge would remain. I doubt it's the most useful bridge from an overall Transportation perspective, but once they decide to go through the cost of constructing abutments and piers, one would expect it would not that much more money to make it a road bridge.

BTW: Pedestrian bridge means fully accessible to mobility devices, because of the Ontarians with Disabilities Act.

Back