News   Jul 11, 2024
 485     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 614     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 736     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

I'm hoping that a replacement pedestrian/cyclist bridge is built here. It's a long way around to Mavis or Creditview to cross the 401. It's sad sometimes that non-vehicular traffic is an afterthought especially as six-lane parclos are nasty places to cross as a pedestrian or a cyclist.

I hope they reconsider taking down Second Line W. I use it often, and removing it will add to the congestion on Mavis. That may be selfish of me, but I hate seeing the grid destroyed.

I hope they reconsider taking down Second Line W. I use it often, and removing it will add to the congestion on Mavis. That may be selfish of me, but I hate seeing the grid destroyed.

It coming down as there is no way it can be save for the expansion.

As far I recall, no new bridge is plan and you got to thank the NIMBY's on both side of the 401 as well eliminating a grid system.

The fire department had issues with the bridge not being replace.

OH!!...me and by car are more important than someone walking or using their bike as I want the >>>>>>Quit area..................Demand those planes flying over my house.

Well, the whole reason Mavis was built in the first place was to replace Second Line as the arterial. Since Mavis goes all the way down to Queensway while Second Line West only goes down to Eglinton, I'd say this choice strengthened the grid, not destroyed.

I think it really only a big deal for cyclists. For cars to go out of the way to use Mavis is not a big deal. But for bikes? No way. Too far, and too dangerous.

Well, the whole reason Mavis was built in the first place was to replace Second Line as the arterial. Since Mavis goes all the way down to Queensway while Second Line West only goes down to Eglinton, I'd say this choice strengthened the grid, not destroyed.

It doesn't go to Eglinton anymore. It ends in the subdivision just south of the 401.

It doesn't go to Eglinton anymore. It ends in the subdivision just south of the 401.

Yes, I know. I live in that subdivision.

I was obvious referring the entire concession road that ends at Eglinton, which was renamed Silken Laumann Way and Terry Fox Way south of Bancroft and Britannia respectively.

Actually, thinking of Terry Fox Way, there still might have been plans to make this an arterial even recently because it is still 5 lanes wide south of Bristol, but 2 of the lanes are not used, which makes it probably the awesomest bike route in the GTA (I use it sometimes to bike to Square One).

Last edited:

I think it really only a big deal for cyclists. For cars to go out of the way to use Mavis is not a big deal. But for bikes? No way. Too far, and too dangerous.

And pedestrians. I'd be angered if a 3-metre wide bridge to accomodate both is not built to replace the current 2nd Line W bridge.

With the connection to 2nd Line north of Highway 407 (Chinguacousy Road), it does strengthen the grid. Unfortulately, though, Creditview Road was similarly disconnected from the grid at Derry Road, with Financial Drive being its replacement. To the north, Brampton is extending Financial Drive to Mississauga Road, while James Potter replaces Creditview north of Steeles to preserve the little bit of the Credit Valley around Eldorado Park. The new James Potter corridor will seemlessly cross the CN tracks north of Bovaird where it will become new Creditview Road.

It does leave a long gap between Mavis and Financial across Highway 407 - I'd like to see either a pedestrian bridge over the 407 connecting the abandoned 2nd Line with the stub of Chinguacousy Road in Brampton, or a path via the OBRY or the Credit River to Chuchville.

Last edited:
Looks like the westbound express lanes were opened on Monday (maybe late sunday night)

Yep, I drove down the express yesterday! They have two lanes open on the right and currently have the moveable barriers still blocking off the left most side.

If there are plans to put in the HOV lane on this stretch, they will have to hang all the overheard signs still from the concrete divider and paint the barriers lines still. But either way, looks good now, there was no congestion near the 410 around 6 yesterday so hopefully it stays this way on a semi-permanent basis. It can only get better when they continue to open all the lanes!

It was pretty bad west of the 410 on the 401 today, whereas yesterday it was okay.

Has there been any talks about widening the 401 between the 427 and the 409?

This stretch?

401 between 427 and 409.jpg

Does not look like there is a lot of room to widen anything there!

Attachments

• 401 between 427 and 409.jpg
    401 between 427 and 409.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 656
So what's the point widening the other sections of the 401 if it's bottlenecked anyway?

What about drivers that get on after the 427 or even after the 410 for that matter (Westbound)? There are many 'bottlenecks' along hwy 401 because their will always be busier and calmer sections of the highway. 'Bottleneck' would refer to the elimination of lanes and a narrowing inward of the highway but I don't see that happening really anywhere along the 401 through Toronto. The highway pretty much maintains the same number of lanes throughout the city (+- 1 lane), not counting the fact that there is no collector-express system near the 427, but still 6 lanes on either side.

Back