News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 386     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 961     1 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

This is very rare with modern industrial space. It can be done, but only for certain uses that don't require large floor loads, such as ecommerce. Amazon already has 'multistory' warehouses that use mezzanines, but that is just a consequence of technology and no different than a merely tall '1 storey' warehouse in terms of ability to store goods.
There is a true 2-storey industrial building getting built in Vancouver, but generally you are correct. Like anything in life anything is possible with enough money thrown at it, but true dual-floor industrial and warehousing space is very expensive to construct.

The 700,000sf building occupies about 20 acres, which would normally accommodate closer to a 450-500,000sf warehouse in the same space. So it works out to be about 50% more land efficient.

The problem is that not only do you need space for warehousing, you need staging areas for trucks, employee parking, etc, which take up just as much space. So even if you do build a 2-3 storey warehouse the total land need isn't reduced by 2-3x.

A quote from the article regarding the challenges of the facilities:

“You have to check a few boxes to justify multi-level,” Oxford head of industrial Jeff Miller told RENX. “One is absolute land scarcity. You have to build these in a market where there’s virtually no other supply and there’s a high barrier to enter the market.

“You also need to build them in a market where the rents justify the added costs of going up multiple levels.”

So yea, if we stop providing new employment lands, developers will get creative, but it will drive up costs massively and lead to affordability issues and discourage many business types which will look elsewhere.

Last edited:
It's not just Bolton/Caledon the 413 will service but that entire section of development land from the 407-401 interchange from North Mississauga (where Amazon currently is) along the border between Milton, Georgetown/Halton Hills and Brampton.
Lets think about this.
In this area, Amazon has two facilities at Steeles\Winston Churchill in Brampton.Indeed all of the new BramWest business Park is in this area.
They also have the one down Mississauga Rd from 401 and 407. Not far from either.
All the Milton businesses have excellent 407/401 access, which is a big reason why they located there. The new developments from James Snow to Fifth Line are along 401, not far from 407. They also have direct rail access.
The big Halton Hills industrial park under development (premier gateway) is along Steeles, centered at Trafalgar. It also has perfect 407/401 access.
All these industrial parks are already clustered along 407/401.
Both highways provide access to the entire GTA highway network. From those areas along 407 to 400 is about 25 minutes, and another 15 min to 404.
What would 413 provide these businesses that 407 does not? It would be a longer route to 400 along the 413 than along 407.
Congestion is a non issue, anyone can drive 100km/h+ on 407 from 401 to 404 all day long.
Wait, 413 would probably cost less on tolls, wouldn't it?
Seems obvious we need to encourage more usage of the 407, which is severely underutilized, before we ever talk about another relief highway.

Sources:
https://www.halton.ca/Repository/Halton-Region-Business-Parks, https://investbrampton.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/BRA200123_BramBusParkInfoGuide_21_WEB.pdf

Basing the need for this highway non existing facilities makes no sense to me.
This Highway makes sense if you expect major development along it's route in North Brampton, in which case yes, all those local properties would have poor highway access.
However that brings us back to the fact that most opposed to 413 are opposed to this development and further erosion of Greenfield land.
Keep in mind, current vacancy rates in the GTA for industrial real estate is sitting around 1%. The situation there is dire.
This is fair.
However, I don't believe sacrificing even more Greenfields in this area is the answer.
I would like to see more development encouraged to spread throughout the Province, but understand that is complicated.

GTA_West_corridor_14_RevisedRoute_August2020-resize-2.jpg

Last edited:
Off topic - but excellent cartography by the opponents. And I'm intrigued what that connection from the Bolton GO line to the Barrie GO line just north of Steeles is about.

Last edited:
Off topic - but excellent cartography by the opponents. And I'm intrigued what that connection from the Bolton GO line to the Richmond Hill GO line just north of Steeles is about.
That's not Richmond Hill, that's the Barrie Line. And likely due to their most recent report for Bolton service favouring the service switching from CP to CN, across the CN's York Sub and then south on the Barrie Line.

Dan

That's not Richmond Hill, that's the Barrie Line. And likely due to their most recent report for Bolton service favouring the service switching from CP to CN, across the CN's York Sub and then south on the Barrie Line.
I wonder what the travel time difference on that would be.

Yeah ... Barrie. Brain fart ... not sure why I do that, given I've never ridden the Richmond Hill line.

Just looking at this map- 403 is signed as the 410, 407 is signed as the 403.

Too bad that isn't reality. I'd love if that was a fact and the 407 didn't start until the 401 interchange.

Also- could 427 one day be extended as a stub? That would give Bolton great access.

I'm pretty sure the plan is still to continue extending the 427 North with it eventually veering east to meet the 400 somewhere near Innisfil. Personally I'd prefer if it stayed on the roughly N/S routing (even as a super two, or provincial highway as with the 410/10 setup) thus giving a western route to Cottage country/Blue Mountain which avoids traffic in Barrie.

I'm pretty sure the plan is still to continue extending the 427 North with it eventually veering east to meet the 400 somewhere near Innisfil. Personally I'd prefer if it stayed on the roughly N/S routing (even as a super two, or provincial highway as with the 410/10 setup) thus giving a western route to Cottage country/Blue Mountain which avoids traffic in Barrie.
The Simcoe Multi-Modal Transportation Strategy from 2014 identified a long term extension of the 427 north as a bypass around Barrie, connecting to the 400/11 north of the city.

God knows if that'll ever happen though.

It's weird that the 410 is shown extending North away from Highway 10 where the current 410 terminates.

We're just going to be left with a useless stub directly south of Mayfield?

1635967294290.png

It's weird that the 410 is shown extending North away from Highway 10 where the current 410 terminates.

We're just going to be left with a useless stub directly south of Mayfield?

View attachment 360378
I wouldn't say so. The new 410 connection would simply be long-ass on/off ramps to/from GTA West.

I would assume traffic that wants to continue on 10/410 would still use the existing highway.

It's a little clunky and un-needed sure, but it won't be useless. You get redundancy too which is always a plus as well should the highway be closed for whatever reason.

Back