News   Jul 16, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 545     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

^ Glen, have you been down to the waterfront lately? Those empty store fronts are starting to fill. So far this summer a tanning salon, a jugo juice and a pet grooming place are all due to open (The tanning salon just opened last week). Already there are a couple dry cleaners, a sushi restaurant and a spa on this stretch. Considering the Yuppy population that lives in this area, its these type of stores that will be used. The only thing missing is a Starbucks and maybe a pub/restaurant and the area will be complete. You should come down here and see what's actually happening sometime.

As for your issue with the grass... I can only assume you're talking about the Music Garden, which again I suggest you come down and see for yourself because since May 1st I've seen city workers there working on it just about everyday.

The last time I was there was two months ago. The spa and restaurant were there. Insofar as the other establishments go they are new. Considering that the buildings have been there for years and those ground floor retail units are being filled by establishments that primarily service the residents, I feel that it is indicative to what the lake front has become. It is a nice place to live but not compelling to visit.

Is Music Park the one located in front of Kings Landing? If so, then that is the one I am referring to. Years ago I called the park dept to ask if I could rent a pump to pump some lake water onto the perpetually dying grass. I was told that I would be charged if I did so.

This is getting OT.

I agree with Blovertis and Archivist. The Music Garden area should serve as a model for our waterfront development. A thin strip of greenery south of Queen's Quay with the north side built up, preferrably with low- to medium-rise condos. One thing that would make that stretch of Queen's Quay better would be retail in those condos, especially things like cafes, bakeries, etc.

And don't forget what Waterfrontoronto is doing - Queen's Quay "revitalization", the slips and bridges, etc - it's going to make the area a lot cozier and intimate than what's there now.

Considering that the buildings have been there for years and those ground floor retail units are being filled by establishments that primarily service the residents, I feel that it is indicative to what the lake front has become. It is a nice place to live but not compelling to visit.

Please read above - considering that there hasn't been anything done on the public realm for the entire stretch for years, why should it be a compelling destination during that time? And more importantly, given the massive changes that are slated to occur in the area, why should the old pattern remain?

AoD

From the Star, by Hume (it seems he is back from the Prozac holiday!):

Civic cowardice fuelling backward Gardiner plan

Jun 20, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

The car isn't about to disappear from Toronto, but that doesn't mean the Gardiner Expressway shouldn't.

Which is why plans released recently by Waterfront Toronto, which call for the elevated highway to be torn down between Jarvis St. and the Don Valley Parkway, disappoint.

No disagreement that removing any part of the Gardiner is entirely desirable, but focusing on the stretch east of Jarvis misses the point. The argument, of course, is that the expressway serves as an obstacle that separates the city from the waterfront. That's exactly why the critical stretch of the Gardiner, the length that must be demolished, runs from Spadina in the west to Jarvis and beyond. That's where most of the major north/south streets are located, including Yonge, Bay, York as well as Spadina and Jarvis. These are the arteries that carry most of us to the water's edge.

This is also the area where land values would increase most dramatically were the Gardiner to go. In other words, here's where the money would be made to pay the cost of the project.

Lake Shore Blvd. then becomes the main east/west thoroughfare across the bottom of the city. Traffic engineers will insist it must be widened to accommodate the extra load, but as usual they're wrong. Traffic, unlike water, doesn't automatically flow to the next lowest level. Experience in New York and San Francisco, which both lost raised highways unexpectedly, proves that to some extent, traffic simply disappears. People find other routes, they use transit, they respond in unforeseen ways.

The rise of gas prices, the decline of the North American auto industry and the demise of the SUV mark the beginning of changes that will fundamentally, traumatically, alter how we live. North Americans will have to be dragged into the future kicking and screaming, but ultimately we have no choice.

That's why Toronto should do the smart thing with the Gardiner, not give in to civic cowardice.

Last week, the board of Waterfront Toronto voted to launch an environmental assessment to study dismantling the east end of the Gardiner. Mayor David Miller, a board member, declared that this was the first proposal he'd seen that was doable. He was talking about the politics of demolition, not the reality.

It seems that Miller, not known for vision or boldness, won't be the mayor who leads Toronto into the 21st century. With leaders such as Prime Minister Stephen Harper and federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, he will be remembered as one who tried to prolong a period of history fast winding down. It will turn out to have been a blip, a mere two generations whose lives were based on utterly implausible assumptions about endless cheap energy and land.

Instead of being reactionary and cowardly, we should look to cities – New York, Seoul, San Francisco, Boston, Oslo and Paris – that have taken down their Gardiners and lived to tell the tale.

The Gardiner, we mustn't forget, is a symbol as well as a highway. Failure to deal with it intelligently will send a message to Torontonians and the rest of the world that this is just another North American burg with its collective head buried in the sand. Canada's horrific record on environmental regulation already has many concerned about where we're headed.

The old Toronto compromise, so neatly encapsulated by the reduced proposal, won't do this time. Half measures no longer suffice. Yes, people will shout and scream. What else is new?

It's like smoking; one day we will look back and shake our heads. What seems normal now will have become unthinkable.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca

http://www.thestar.com/GTA/Columnist/article/446505

AoD

Please read above - considering that there hasn't been anything done on the public realm for the entire stretch for years, why should it be a compelling destination during that time? And more importantly, given the massive changes that are slated to occur in the area, why should the old pattern remain?

AoD

The danger is that the changes slated to appear might not amount to more than lipstick on a pig. I am not saying that they are assuredly going to, but the risk is there. Some trees, docks and dry cleaners are not compelling. There needs to be some sort of anchor attraction to make it a real destination.

Glen:

The danger is that the changes slated to appear might not amount to more than lipstick on a pig. I am not saying that they are assuredly going to, but the risk is there. Some trees, docks and dry cleaners are not compelling. There needs to be some sort of anchor attraction to make it a real destination.

Such risk always exists of course, but I think recent changes (e.g. Harbourfront, HtO, etc) suggests that the area is becoming a destination. The massive influx of residents along the entire central waterfront also helps.

AoD

Are you joking? Hilarious! This is the very same TKTK who expressed that lowering the clearance in a tunnel (to a level that is of course perfectly safe, just lower than usual) to save billions on construction costs would be frighteningly confining.

You were talking about a tunnel 2 stories high?! Sorry! I didn't realize it at the time. I'd drive in that!

Expensive though, eh?

Yes, and one can turn the Gardiner (with a zillion support columns) into something like that for less than 300M. Sure.

This:
Gardiner.jpg

vs. this:
Holl.jpg

(image copyright to Steven Holl Architects)

AoD

Turning the actual highway into some big floating monstrosity is not quite the beautification I had in mind. Anything less than its dismantling will be a disappointment.

I say rip it down, make a majority of it above ground, like a university style boulevard, and bury a very small portion, at most a couple of km. Best of both worlds.

Back