News   Apr 19, 2024
 80     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 742     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.2K     2 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

Great footage kotsy.

I get so confused by the drone rules. I thought you weren't allowed to fly over busy highways and roadways and that near to an operating airport.

I guess you are.

Thanks! Those rules apply to regular and large sized drones. Micro drones (under 250g) are given much more leeway, including not needing drone license/permit.

I get so confused by the drone rules. I thought you weren't allowed to fly over busy highways and roadways and that near to an operating airport.
The rules are clear. Don’t let drone users tell you there‘s any wiggle room. With YYZ, YTZ, YKZ and YZD the 5.6 km exclusion zone around airports makes nearly the entirely of the old city of Toronto is a restricted airspace.

Thanks! Those rules apply to regular and large sized drones.
Your either dishonest or misinformed. If you’re still in doubt, try flying your sub-250g drone over YTZ see if the RCMP aren’t at your door.

Last edited:
The rules are clear. Don’t let drone users tell you there‘s any wiggle room. The 5.6 km exclusion zone around airports makes nearly the entirely of the old city of Toronto is a restricted airspace.

To keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:

• where you can see it at all times
  • below 122 metres (400 feet) in the air
  • away from bystanders, at a minimum horizontal distance of 30 metres for basic operations
  • away from emergency operations and advertised events
    • Avoid forest fires, outdoor concerts and parades
  • away from airports and heliports
    • 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from airports
    • 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports
  • outside controlled airspace (for basic operations only)
You're on the right page but wrong section. You've quoted the section for regular/large drones (250g-25kg). I applied for and got permission through Transport Canada for inside the blue circle (authorization zone). I can't take off or fly within that zone without said permission. The orange rectangular area (restricted zone) is the only off limits zone downtown for micro drones (249g or less).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210925-164621.png
    Screenshot_20210925-164621.png
    483.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Thanks! Those rules apply to regular and large sized drones. Micro drones (under 250g) are given much more leeway, including not needing drone license/permit.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose something that weighs under 250g can't do any damage to an airplane if it hit it, or a car/pedestrian if it fell on it. I really like the looks of the DJI Mavic Mini, I think I might get one if I don't need to worry about any of those regulations. There's a bunch of stuff downtown that would be fun to film. 👍

Couldn't see any big changes from this weekend's work. Was it mostly just clean up?
They removed all the remaining bents except the metal one on west side of Don Roadway - it has traffic lights attached to it and it will be removed when the replacement lights are installed. As shown above, they also removed most of the remains of the already demolished concrete bents and actually re-paved the bike track where they had 'intruded'. (As seen in the first @achender photo above.) Yesterday they were continuing with clean-up on the median and have already removed the asphalt from the the actual ramp (which has an 'earth' base) and I assume will remove the earth etc this coming weekend. Really a very speedy and well planned project.

They removed all the remaining bents except the metal one on west side of Don Roadway - it has traffic lights attached to it and it will be removed when the replacement lights are installed. As shown above, they also removed most of the remains of the already demolished concrete bents and actually re-paved the bike track where they had 'intruded'. (As seen in the first @achender photo above.) Yesterday they were continuing with clean-up on the median and have already removed the asphalt from the the actual ramp (which has an 'earth' base) and I assume will remove the earth etc this coming weekend. Really a very speedy and well planned project.
This will be the last weekend for closure and most likely a short one as very little to be remove or clean up.

The asphalt was removed off the ramp a few weeks ago, with some stock plie for later removal to be recycle. Will take a few hours to remove the dirt for the ramp and then full removeable of the concrete walls and footing.

Would not be surprise to see the centre section pave as it will allow for traffic shifted to build the new road doing one side at a time.

Haven't found the time to visit the site last week to have a look as to why the steel bent is still there and see why now why with you saying traffic lights on it. Until Guild install temporary lights, the bent will remain in place. If it still standing after this weekend, it will require a night closure to remove the bent.

With the ramp done, temporary street lights can be wire and turn on for the north side as the light post were moved into position a week ago

The real pain for drivers for the next 3 years will start in Nov with the closure of the westbound lane and shifting the westbound traffic to the eastbound lane. Late 2022, it will be the eastbound traffic being shifted.

With the amount of equipment and manpower on site, the ramp came down faster than plan that made everyone happy that it will finish a week sooner than plan. It almost came close to being 2 weeks shorter than plan.

The last bent to be remove with the traffic lights
51451536803_fe46f2b8bd_b.jpg

Photos taken September 28th, 2021:

1632861338415.png

1632861373390.png

The stump of a ramp, from the west:

1632861399643.png

On to the actual, former, Gardiner ROW:

1632861434771.png

1632861456529.png

The corner of Don Roadway and Lake Shore Blvd East: (psst, there's something else hiding in the corner of the shot.......we'll get back to that, in another thread)

1632861504960.png

1632861520973.png

Looking back east:

1632861608551.png

Now west again, on the west side of the Don Roadway at Lake Shore, beside the railway bridge:

1632861654124.png

1632861671572.png

Back