News   Mar 28, 2024
 934     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 534     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

It's the concrete or steel support structures.
Thanks - I don't think I've ever heard that before - but it's in the OED, as the 10th meaning of Bent (n.2).

Perhaps I slept through that class in Civil Engineering.
1632377269169.png

Went for a stroll south on Bayview towards Lake Shore (at Cherry) then east towards Logan and grabbed a handful of photos. Have included before shots from Google street view to compare against where it's at today.

September 23 @ ~11am EST
P2.jpg
PXL_20210923_151226952.jpg
PXL_20210923_151311077.jpg
PXL_20210923_151358421.jpg

p3.jpg
PXL_20210923_151820391.jpg

p4.jpg
PXL_20210923_152035430.jpg

p5.jpg
PXL_20210923_152043140.jpg
PXL_20210923_152158476.jpg

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Wow for someone living in that area or someone who drives there a lot, that is quite the transformation and more to come. It's amazing what the difference is once an elevated highway comes down, it's going to look quite nice in a few years.

I'm trying to find some renderings, will the new bridge look nicer? Or is it purely functional like the current one?
Maybe in a few years, but my first impression was, "Wow, without the elevated highway blocking the view you can REALLY see how crappy this area is." :p
As I know, the new bridges will be the run of the mill cheap one that will house 6 lanes and 2 sidewalks that will be longer than the current ones. This includes the cycles bridge that most likely be the same style, but longer. Sidewalks have never existed there in the past. Haven't seen any rendering for the bridge area.

Given this is an infill swamp land area to house industries, going to take a decade or 2 to put mix development there that get rid of the current blight.

The Gardiner on/off ramps to Logan Avenue are now permanently closed. Ramp removal will be complete by October 4, 2021. Lake Shore Boulevard East will be closed from Cherry Street to Carlaw Avenue on weekends while the ramps are removed.
NEW: This weekend, September 25-26, the closure of Lake Shore Boulevard will start at 6 a.m. Saturday morning and remain in place until 6 a.m. Monday.

The next stage of work includes rebuilding Lake Shore Boulevard from Don Roadway to Carlaw Avenue and a new Lake Shore Bridge. That work begins in November 2021 and is scheduled to be completed in 2024. During that time, Lake Shore Boulevard between Don Roadway and Carlaw Avenue will be open, with two lanes eastbound and one lane westbound.

Learn more about what we’re building

Gardiner ramp removal is progressing faster than expected:

• All decking has been removed
  • 21 out of 22 sections of girders have been removed
  • 16 out of 18 concrete bents have been removed
  • 5 out of 6 steel bents have been removed

Very cool. Thank you for the update. I'm curious if they'll remove the bent 'stumps' soon too or if there's not urgency in that.

Didn't realize there were leaving two lanes east/west open on Lake Shore the entire time until 2024. So what was all the fuss about? You'll still be able to get into the city on Lake Shore. I thought ALL traffic was being diverted to Eastern avenue for 3 years.

There will be lane reductions in the spring. They are building a bridge twice as long as the current one with three lanes each way. It will also have, a bi-directional bike path isolated from the street, two sidewalks (the waterfront facing one eventually being very wide, a major utility conduit, and perhaps they still plan on building the railway bridge but I'm not sure why they would do that anymore. From spring 2022 to spring 2023 the eastbound bridge will be closed for the rebuild, and from spring 2023 to sprint 2024 the westbound bridge will be closed for the rebuild. I'm guessing it will be two lanes in the primary direction of traffic and one in the opposite direction but they haven't published anything on that which I have seen.

LakeshoreBridge.png
DonRoadwayIntersection.png

Great footage kotsy.

I get so confused by the drone rules. I thought you weren't allowed to fly over busy highways and roadways and that near to an operating airport.

I guess you are.

Back