News   Mar 28, 2024
 591     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 432     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 760     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

I totally agree they should have provided a better alternative during the project.

However, we should also understand this isn't a traffic improvement project. Traffic isn't going away and improving it doesn't help anything. The project is intended to relocated the Gardiner, open up the eastern waterfront for development and improve the city. Otherwise they wouldn't have to do anything at all.

Although you could be right, this could be another useless project if it ends up like another Humber Bay or Regent Park development. It just brought more investors to buy out all the condos to make themselves rich while the working class have to pay them rent bring close to zero long term economy bonus to the city. Once developed, they area becomes "useless" unless there is office towers and tourist attractions.
This is exactly what I got from a few years ago when I attended a doors open event for the Queen's Quay project, the person giving it seemed more like they were trying to sell people on the project. I walked out because I was board and they weren't giving any new information or anything worth listening to.

I think waterfront Toronto is the problem they have all of these projects going on that nobody knows about or understands and they have been given too much athorety to carry them out
The city of Toronto has to sign off on everything Waterfront Toronto does

Photos from tonight. They're definitely not wasting any time getting to work.

DSC_2236-1.jpg

DSC_2291-1.jpg
DSC_2295-1.jpg

DSC_2323-1.jpg

DSC_2357-1.jpg

DSC_2373-1-2.jpg

DSC_2375-1.jpg

DSC_2444-1-2.jpg

DSC_2487-1.jpg

If I was dictator, I would resist the Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway to commercial vehicles, emergency vehicles, and buses only. That would leave out private trucks, those without the Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR) and commercial plates.

kissclipart-no-motor-vehicles-sign-clipart-stock-photography-m-456eda6139138a6e.jpg
From link.

esy-032191371.jpg
From link.

I'm sorry but that doesn't cut it for everyone many people in the city didn't know about this happening, not everyone reads articles here also if you look at most things on waterfront Toronto unless it's a major anouncment like this this there is very little engagement with anyone at all. Most of the time a post night have one share or none at all. The average person in Toronto has no clue what waterfront Toronto is doing except for now.
It was literally on the front page of the newspapers - many times around 2014 to 2016. And then again in 2018 during minor revisions. And it was discussed during the last municipal election.

I really don't know how anyone would have been unaware of this ... the current plan (subject to some minor revisions to the final bridge locations) was approved years ago!

It was literally on the front page of the newspapers - many times around 2014 to 2016. And then again in 2018 during minor revisions. And it was discussed during the last municipal election.

I really don't know how anyone would have been unaware of this ... the current plan (subject to some minor revisions to the final bridge locations) was approved years ago!
Wonder how many people in Canada do not know there's even an election this month?

I'm sorry but that doesn't cut it for everyone many people in the city didn't know about this happening, not everyone reads articles here also if you look at most things on waterfront Toronto unless it's a major anouncment like this this there is very little engagement with anyone at all. Most of the time a post night have one share or none at all. The average person in Toronto has no clue what waterfront Toronto is doing except for now.

There is a g-ddamn website specific to Portlands and related projects - with multiple public comments and presentations sessions (nevermind community/neighbourhood consultations), the materials for which is always posted (and referred to multiple times on here). One's incompetence is no excuse - just like there is no excuse for a member who bothered to complain in this specific thread and yet claim to not know about these changes.

AoD

Last edited:
Although you could be right, this could be another useless project if it ends up like another Humber Bay or Regent Park development. It just brought more investors to buy out all the condos to make themselves rich while the working class have to pay them rent bring close to zero long term economy bonus to the city. Once developed, they area becomes "useless" unless there is office towers and tourist attractions.

There is at the very least an affordable housing requirement to the WT planned neighbourhoods - and I wouldn't call Regent Park redevelopment useless given it basically helped to fund the rebuilding cost of the existing rental housing which was falling apart (and I highly doubt that it is an investor driven project), nevermind helped to repair the damaged urban fabric.

AoD

This shutdown has created an absolute mess. Every street in the vicinity of the Gardiner is an absolute nightmare for pedestrians now. Jammed and backed up with vehicles, and there’s no space for traffic to proceed on green lights so every intersection just gets blocked, creating backups on other streets as well. I didn’t think the impact would be so bad.

This definitely shouldn’t have happened so far away from the actual Gardiner reconstruction.

This shutdown has created an absolute mess. Every street in the vicinity of the Gardiner is an absolute nightmare for pedestrians now. Jammed and backed up with vehicles, and there’s no space for traffic to proceed on green lights so every intersection just gets blocked, creating backups on other streets as well. I didn’t think the impact would be so bad.

This definitely shouldn’t have happened so far away from the actual Gardiner reconstruction.
Southbound Jarvis to the Gardiner in the PM has already become a disaster. Yesterday I had a 5pm meeting near Humber Bay East Park, about ten km, and left my house in Cabbagetown at 3:30pm. By 4:30pm I was still on Jarvis, so turned around and went home. Getting around the city and GTA has become a mess.

Just wait until the Ramps to the DVP get torn down and rebuilt with the Gardiner shifting North. I can see it being like this for at least 2-4 years past 2024. (Sucks for my work commute, but I'll deal).

There are a lot of benefits though, with a better connection in this area to the new portlands parks and river system, the flood mitigation which opens up the development of East Harbour ( and if you didn't know part of the development there could not go forward until the flood mitigation is in place). Added housing, albeit condos, and possibly retail with restaurants or at minimum a new neighbourhood to connect with the current east Waterfront. As crappy as the traffic and construction is, it is better than the status quo of doing nothing. Progress is moving forward, not standing still.

Southbound Jarvis to the Gardiner in the PM has already become a disaster. Yesterday I had a 5pm meeting near Humber Bay East Park, about ten km, and left my house in Cabbagetown at 3:30pm. By 4:30pm I was still on Jarvis, so turned around and went home. Getting around the city and GTA has become a mess.
Your first mistake was driving to get there. I’d take the GO + Uber for that one. I think I walked Yonge from Bloor to the lake faster than any car got from Front to the Gardiner 🤣

Back