News   Jun 26, 2024
 142     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

June 14th update.
More of the road bed demolished above the GO passageway and streetcar loop.

DJI_20240614202007_0001_D.jpg
DJI_20240614202046_0002_D.jpg
DJI_20240614202307_0005_D.jpg
Z8P_3750.jpg
Z8P_3766.jpg
Z8P_3778.jpg
Z8P_3781.jpg
Z8P_3834.jpg
Z8P_3835-HDR.jpg
Z8P_3864.jpg

I never noticed that bump out on the Gardiner at exhibition before. Was there originally a bus stop and stairs here? I wonder why this exists here and only here.
That section lacks full shoulders, the bump outs on both sides at that point provide a place to pull over. Likely implemented this way as a cost savings.

EDIT: You can see there's no additional infrastructure like stairs in the 1968 Aerial photo:
1968-gardiner-bumpout.jpg

Source: https://www.toronto.ca/ext/archives/s0012/fl1968/s0012_fl1968_it0027.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said before.. people are going to be screwed when it comes to getting to the CNE this year.

Something tells me that this work will not be done before hoards of people descend on the EX.

The work doesn't need to be done before The Ex for GO and TTC to be operational. There hasn't and won't ever be any effect on GO, and the 509 is down to busses for the time being but they can easily just avoid or pause work that affects any service during the CNE.

Demolition is flying along here. In 24 hours they've advanced East by one bent.

And I made a mistake in my last post. The TTC section they're almost finished across from is a no public access area, despite the group walking through when I shot this lol. The section adjacent to the paid fare zone is further East and will probably be gone in the next couple weeks if this pace keeps up.

Z8P_5350.jpg

And I made a mistake in my last post. The TTC section they're almost finished across from is a no public access area, despite the group walking through when I shot this lol. The section adjacent to the paid fare zone is further East and will probably be gone in the next couple weeks if this pace keeps up.
Technically that area is publicly accessible, though the signage indicating No Entry might be the source of the confusion. This area is for drop-off only so it's expected for the public to access it from a transit vehicle and boarding is not allowed from this area. This was all laid out in the pre-POP era so enforcement of the boarding rule may not be enforced any longer.

However, the people in your photo seem to be walking the wrong way, and there does seem to be a stop card on the post at the end of the area so maybe this has all changed due to POP or because of the buses serving the area.

Lightning fast.
IMG_2559.jpeg

At Jarvis Wednesday night. Picture just for fun.

The Jameson on ramp modification seemed like a no-brainer. I guess no brains got together beforehand.

Last edited:
Reactions: PL1
Coming to Council in in 10 days:

Accelerating Construction of the Gardiner Expressway

Date: June 19, 2024

June 20 Update.
The roadbed and all steel has been removed from the two sections above the GO entrance. They've also finished demolition of the roadbed and steel up to the TTC entrance (save for the steel removal for the 3 westerly sections of the streetcar loop). The point they've reached to the East is the halfway point (roughly 350m of 700m total length).

DJI_20240620200644_0350_D.jpg
DJI_20240620201033_0355_D.jpg

Coming to Council in in 10 days:

Accelerating Construction of the Gardiner Expressway

Date: June 19, 2024

The only way Accelerating of Construction can happen, it has to be 7/24 period. Anything less than that is only to prolong the construction timeframe of the project. Yes there will be noise during the night that some of it can be pushed back at times to the residents a good night sleep.

Back