News   Apr 26, 2024
 517     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Roads: Ambassador & Gordie Howe Bridges

The end of the 401 is slowly getting longer

404286431_738805328293304_7696347458526116144_n.jpg
Cool picture!

Technically, 401 will end at the bridge corporation property, but I get your meaning.

I don't think they will be willing to re-number the entire highway all the way to Quebec. :cool:

Cool picture!

Technically, 401 will end at the bridge corporation property, but I get your meaning.

I don't think they will be willing to re-number the entire highway all the way to Quebec. :cool:

I dunno what the short connector route to I-75 will be named/numbered (if it all) but it would be cool to call it I-401 or something. I consider this to be the true ending of the 401, even though officially yes it will end at the Canadian customs/toll plaza.

I dunno what the short connector route to I-75 will be named/numbered (if it all) but it would be cool to call it I-401 or something. I consider this to be the true ending of the 401, even though officially yes it will end at the Canadian customs/toll plaza.
Seeing as the bridge and approaches will be owned by the bridge authority, it might not named or numbered anything. If a public section is needed to connect it to the highway, it will probably be unsigned and given an administrative number (possibly in the 7000 series).

Seeing as the bridge and approaches will be owned by the bridge authority, it might not named or numbered anything. If a public section is needed to connect it to the highway, it will probably be unsigned and given an administrative number (possibly in the 7000 series).
I don't think the Blue Water Bridge has a number other this way to Port Huron and X highway or Sarnia and highway 402, Pay no attention to the signs since I cross the bridge so many times in the past. Same for other Ontario crossing.

Ambassador bridge and Windsor Tunnel is used and don't recall every seeing a number for them other than to the route that I am planning on using.

I don't think the Blue Water Bridge has a number other this way to Port Huron and X highway or Sarnia and highway 402,

There's no notable stretch of road between the bridge and the customs plazas on either side though. But I still don't think a number is needed in any case.

There will be no number on the US side as there will be no exits between I-75 and the bridge. Signs on 75 will likely read “Gordie Howe Bridge to Canada 🇨🇦” (Michigan uses the Canadian flag to mark the approaches to the bridges and tunnel.)

And yes, the 401 will end at the bridge entrance, just like the QEW ends at the approach to the Peace Bridge. At most, there will be another 100 metres or so of MTO-maintained highway yet to open.

There will be no number on the US side as there will be no exits between I-75 and the bridge. Signs on 75 will likely read “Gordie Howe Bridge to Canada 🇨🇦” (Michigan uses the Canadian flag to mark the approaches to the bridges and tunnel.)

And yes, the 401 will end at the bridge entrance, just like the QEW ends at the approach to the Peace Bridge. At most, there will be another 100 metres or so of MTO-maintained highway yet to open.
for reference - how the 402 is currently "signed" on I69 in Port Huron, MI:

1701096229829.png

No mention of the bridge name, yet alone the highway on the opposite side of it. Just "CANADA".

The Canadian side of the bridge at least mentions the bridge name, but still doesn't identify I-69:

1701096411680.png

Ontario does identify I-81 at the Thousands Islands exit from the 401 however, for some reason:

1701096464437.png

for reference - how the 402 is currently "signed" on I69 in Port Huron, MI:

View attachment 523190

No mention of the bridge name, yet alone the highway on the opposite side of it. Just "CANADA".

The Canadian side of the bridge at least mentions the bridge name, but still doesn't identify I-69:

View attachment 523191

Ontario does identify I-81 at the Thousands Islands exit from the 401 however, for some reason:

View attachment 523192

Yeah, in Detroit, the two crossings are only marked as “Bridge to Canada” and “Tunnel to Canada.” But when there’s two bridges in close proximity on I-75, I suspect their names will be added to the MDOT signs.

Took this from the Ambassador Bridge a couple of weeks ago, heading over to the Detroit airport.

The Ambassador Bridge has been going through a significant restoration over the last few years, and it’s been the first time I’ve been over it since that work started. The driving experience has significantly improved, and the bridge itself is way less janky than I remember it being pre-restoration.

IMG_9329.jpeg

Took this from the Ambassador Bridge a couple of weeks ago, heading over to the Detroit airport.

The Ambassador Bridge has been going through a significant restoration over the last few years, and it’s been the first time I’ve been over it since that work started. The driving experience has significantly improved, and the bridge itself is way less janky than I remember it being pre-restoration.

View attachment 527836
I wonder what efforts they will to try to keep customers? I would not be surprised if the fuel prices drop a little, and their toll is set just below the Gordie Howe ones. Perhaps lobbying for a big sign on the 401 that says something like "USA - Gordie Howe $x , Ambassador $y , Tunnel $z "...

It's certainly going to be a challenge for them, given the Gordie Howe has direct access from highways...

I wonder what efforts they will to try to keep customers? I would not be surprised if the fuel prices drop a little, and their toll is set just below the Gordie Howe ones. Perhaps lobbying for a big sign on the 401 that says something like "USA - Gordie Howe $x , Ambassador $y , Tunnel $z "...

It's certainly going to be a challenge for them, given the Gordie Howe has direct access from highways...

It will still be the most convenient option for many people to go to downtown Detroit, particularly the sports venues on the north side of the downtown core. The tunnel goes straight downtown but it’s still a bit of a slog to get anywhere direct from it, especially when I-375 gets downgraded to a surface boulevard.

I imagine the city will be happy to get Huronchurch back to some semblance of a city street and truckers will be happy to be free of the traffic lights and congestion.

It all depends on border wait times. If there's a delay at Gordie Howe and nothing at Ambassador, people will use it instead. There are a ton of customs plazas going in for Gordie however, so if they're all operating that wait shouldn't be too long.

Its still a bit more direct to get to a few places in the Detroit Metro... I still like taking the tunnel going downtown

In addition to perhaps tolling a bit cheaper- they can also advertise duty free gasoline too. I am expecting snazzy new duty free stores both ways, but I doubt they will have gas pumps.

It might also depend on which direction there going .. it seems the Gordie Howe bridge will require you to cross 7 lanes on i-75 to get into the exit lane for I-96/I-94in under a km, while the Ambassador has direct access to that exit lane (although then maybe that traffic is using the blue water bridge?... )

Back