News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 425     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Roads: Ambassador & Gordie Howe Bridges

I’ve debated getting an EZ pass - I go to NY probably just often enough for it to be worth it.

My experience with the new camera tolling system in NY makes me think otherwise however.. it seems to routinely mess up and undercharge. Funny, because the 407 Camera system sure as h*** doesn’t do that!

A friend of mine got a toll charge in the mail recently, and it had a one-time administration fee attached.

When I rented a car in Chicago earlier this year, I brought my EZ-pass with me. It worked on the rental on the Chicago area toll roads despite not being in the registered car/plate. They have it as a backup though in case a car with the registration goes through without the EZ-Pass registered but the camera picks up the plate.

So I’d say the tag is worth purchasing. It’s good for most toll bridges and tunnels (Michigan is a notable outlier) and every major toll highway east of the Mississippi.

A friend of mine got a toll charge in the mail recently, and it had a one-time administration fee attached.

When I rented a car in Chicago earlier this year, I brought my EZ-pass with me. It worked on the rental on the Chicago area toll roads despite not being in the registered car/plate. They have it as a backup though in case a car with the registration goes through without the EZ-Pass registered but the camera picks up the plate.

So I’d say the tag is worth purchasing. It’s good for most toll bridges and tunnels (Michigan is a notable outlier) and every major toll highway east of the Mississippi.
All the cars I have rented so far, I get a charge for toll weeks after I return the car to my credit card. I have no idea what I am paying for those toll areas in the first since it not broken down on the charge as well a fee for billing.

I have wonder if it was worth buying one and will it work in every state I travel in as well it overrides the rental EZ system??

I looked at this some years ago at getting one in the states, but I need a US address for billing and mailboxes are not allowed.

All the cars I have rented so far, I get a charge for toll weeks after I return the car to my credit card. I have no idea what I am paying for those toll areas in the first since it not broken down on the charge as well a fee for billing.

I have wonder if it was worth buying one and will it work in every state I travel in as well it overrides the rental EZ system??

I looked at this some years ago at getting one in the states, but I need a US address for billing and mailboxes are not allowed.

NY Thruway Authority does not require a US address for EZ Pass billing. It’s linked to my credit card, and it is linked to my Ontario address/vehicle/licence plate.

And as I said, EZ Pass works with just about any other US electronic fare system this side of the Mississippi, including Illinois’ I-Pass and Florida’s Sunpass. It doesn’t not work with systems in Washington State, California, or Texas.

I can not verify how it works with all rentals, but it worked in my case in Illinois earlier this year.

Reactions: PL1
Florida used to be a holdout for EZPass - I rented in Florida in December and found it is now accepted.

Florida also bills by plate now, so rental cars no longer have a "pass" device on the front window that has to be turned on, or off, to use the toll highways.

The rental admin fee is not cheap - the companies charge a daily rate for any day a toll is incurred, plus the toll itself - but it's better than having to run through the cash booth or avoiding the toll roads altogether.

- Paul

Reactions: PL1
NY Thruway Authority does not require a US address for EZ Pass billing. It’s linked to my credit card, and it is linked to my Ontario address/vehicle/licence plate.

And as I said, EZ Pass works with just about any other US electronic fare system this side of the Mississippi, including Illinois’ I-Pass and Florida’s Sunpass. It doesn’t not work with systems in Washington State, California, or Texas.

I can not verify how it works with all rentals, but it worked in my case in Illinois earlier this year.
Yup, it's a no-brainer to have it if you travel to the US by car even semi-frequently. There's no annual fee for it, and like you said you can sign up with your Canadian address and credit card. Especially handy when there's a large difference between the cash and E-Z Pass rates.

Florida used to be a holdout for EZPass - I rented in Florida in December and found it is now accepted.

Florida also bills by plate now, so rental cars no longer have a "pass" device on the front window that has to be turned on, or off, to use the toll highways.

The rental admin fee is not cheap - the companies charge a daily rate for any day a toll is incurred, plus the toll itself - but it's better than having to run through the cash booth or avoiding the toll roads altogether.

- Paul
I have a SunPass too, and I've used it on rental cars in Florida a couple of times. On their website there's an option to add a rental car plate to your account, and it even has a field to set an expiry date on the use of that plate (useful if you forget your transponder or something). Now that E-Z Pass is accepted in Florida though, if I'm driving I'll just use that instead. Should also note that SunPass has no annual fee either.

Didn't see this image in the last few pages, apologize if its a repost:

1707842532136.png

Credit as per the embedded.

Gosh I hope the two sides meet perfectly in the middle

Don't want something like this

hqdefault.jpg

Seems unlikely, Metrolinx isn't the proponent and Sanscon isn't the builder, we stand a decent chance of it working out, LOL

March 23
The first batch of the bridge from Windsor are now online. Two more batches to be uploaded from the US side since I have more places to get really close to the bridge as well as a better view. One site in Windsor being close off now

One more set of cables to be installed for the rear of the bridge.

Was talking to a Canadian Worker who lives in Brantford on the US side, and he was showing me photos from the 800' level. Some really nice views. He is not allowed to share them nor post them. He said the bridge is still on schedule to open in 2025 considering the amount of concrete to be form and pour for the bridge and the ramps from it
53623025577_b3ba26b7b8_b.jpg

53624354055_e473373af1_b.jpg

53624116778_ee7bcc9705_b.jpg

53623911561_4ace550871_b.jpg

53623025057_06d91e9511_b.jpg

53623024797_c299012e84_b.jpg

Gosh I hope the two sides meet perfectly in the middle

Don't want something like this

hqdefault.jpg
The comment by the Candian working on the US side of the bridge on March 23 is the fear that one side maybe a foot or two higher when it come to the final connection, but my photo above say no. Then that photo was zoom out.

Seems unlikely, Metrolinx isn't the proponent and Sanscon isn't the builder, we stand a decent chance of it working out, LOL
I was just going to say, it's not a Metrolinx project, so we should be good on that front, lol
Hey, I'll have you know MX always lines up the rail perfectly.
g4i2gzx0sz5b1.jpg

🥴

Back