News   Apr 25, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

How the Belgians do it. My teeth were rattling. (Source: me) I couldn’t find my pics of downtown Ghent that was a ton of fun, especially coupled with the trolley tracks /s
Belgium is kinda notorious in Europe for having poor road infrastructure. People say that it is the most visible difference when crossing the border between Belgium and the Netherlands.

I received this construction notice in the mail today that lists out some "Vision Zero" improvements that are planned for around the Rogers building on Jarvis

20210531_Imagepipe_0.jpg

There seems to be no information available that those vision zero improvements are. An additional pedestrian crossing light from west to east south of the intersection is much needed. That would be an improvement in addition to a narrower car lane design.

Reactions: DSC
Why not just take the opportunity to legislate shorter trucks?

Some of the swings on trucks that I see daily around the Ontario Food Terminal are horrifying.

- Paul

I would love to see maximum truck size cut back to 48' from 53'; it was a terrible idea to change it; and we've spent more than a generation widening turning radii to facilitate it, wasting land and making our roads more dangerous in the process.

However, the City has no authority to make that change, so far as I know.

I thought progressive, inclusive thinking was that strip malls are an essential part of our diverse mosaic?

I think the only benefit of strip malls is that they lend themselves to more fine grain retail that is supportive of small enterprise. The older ones typically are not just a sea of the same 20 chains we see in condo podiums, etc.

Strip malls were one of the few places that were able to not be gentrified (until now), they are located in communities that are mostly made of newcomers as they're where the most affordable neighbourhoods in the city, what's happening isn't new, it just changed locations to the inner suburbs, and the displacement of vulnerable communities has moved to more suburban areas of the city.

Although most people (including myself) on this forum can agree about what strip malls and auto orientated developed does to cities, it should be recognised that the communities that grew in them are going to be moved elsewhere so a developer can make their profits.

IF tenants are compensated and are given the opportunity to move to a new location within the same neighbourhood I would have less issue with developments like this, especially considering how much money developers make these days thanks to financialization.
🖤

I thought progressive, inclusive thinking was that strip malls are an essential part of our diverse mosaic?

If you confuse Sean Micallef for a progressive, then that would be true. (ducks)

Ok, that was mean..........I know Sean (and like him as a person).........but I do find his writing on this and many subjects whimsical, impulsive and flighty.

I share his sympathy for small, independent retail and cultural diversity of same.

I just think he confuses the form, and the substance.

There's an economic relationship; but not a stylistic one.

We must always have; and should have more small business retail (less chain).

But that is not intrinsically tied to a terrible retail format.

Back