News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 918     1 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

If you confuse Sean Micallef for a progressive, then that would be true. (ducks)

Ok, that was mean..........I know Sean (and like him as a person).........but I do find his writing on this and many subjects whimsical, impulsive and flighty.

I see this as a matter of managing change. Too many people in the urbanist/futurist population talk about needed changes as if it’s simply waving a magic wand. And many preach antipathy towards whatever we are moving away from, instead of simply advocating for something better. If one wants to move away from something, one has to analyse a little more deeply, to find better solutions for the needs and roles which that something is providing or serving.

Strip malls sit at the nexus of how we structure transport and how we structure communities. They serve useful purposes, albeit at a cost in terms of autocentrism. That doesn’t make them “bad”. It just means we have to build a path towards a better replacement rather than going to war against them.

- Paul

I see this as a matter of managing change. Too many people in the urbanist/futurist population talk about needed changes as if it’s simply waving a magic wand. And many preach antipathy towards whatever we are moving away from, instead of simply advocating for something better. If one wants to move away from something, one has to analyse a little more deeply, to find better solutions for the needs and roles which that something is providing or serving.

Strip malls sit at the nexus of how we structure transport and how we structure communities. They serve useful purposes, albeit at a cost in terms of autocentrism. That doesn’t make them “bad”. It just means we have to build a path towards a better replacement rather than going to war against them.

- Paul

My issue is w/their defenders. They link the types of businesses occupying the strip malls (culturally diverse, non-chain) to the form/building type.

There is no inherent linkage.

Strip malls were once as likely or more likely to be chain retail.

What fundamentally changed is that strip malls are now typically in more economically marginal neighbourhoods, where larger proportions of new immigrants exist; and where rent is cheaper.

The form will change w/time; but there will always be areas more marginal than others in terms of income, there will always be areas more filled w/newcomers, and there will always be areas where rents are lower.

I wouldn't go to war with strip malls (I don't generally war with buildings, or inanimate objects) ......I expect that they will slowly fade into history, as they ought to, over time.

I simply have no tolerance for the idea that they are somehow (as a form) linked to small, independent or diverse businesses; ignoring Kensington Market through the years, various Chinatowns, Little Italy's and the like.

People's inability to distinguish correlation, and causation will never cease to irritate.

Last edited:
Good find!

I'm going to pull the content forward:

New design concept (in Toronto) to tighten turning radii for cars, but still leave large trucks with sufficient room.

View attachment 324103
from: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/9797-ecs-specs-roadwd-T-310.030-15Rev0May2021.pdf
This is interesting as the City failed to reduce the radii on some corners (at west side of Yonge) during the (still ongoing) work on Wellington. I complained to Barbara Gray and got the following response from Jacqueline Hayward the Director, Project Design & Management in Transportation Services.

"Thanks for your email. We do aim to make adjustments to curb radii, and improvements for pedestrians and safety, when opportunities are available to do so as part of bundled road work. We have found the best opportunity to do so is when project scope involves full reconstruction.

In this case, the work at this location was minor sidewalk repair associated with TTC track work and presented limited opportunities to achieve additional changes that involve moving the curb. That being said, we adjusted the opposite corners (south east and north east) to address the curb alignment/radius and lighting as part of the Wellington Revitalization project."

Frankly, they completely rebuilt both west side corners and I think the radii could easily have been fixed with no difficulty but....

My issue is w/their defenders. They link the types of businesses occupying the strip malls (culturally diverse, non-chain) to the form/building type.

There is no inherent linkage.

^Well, the thing is... these things are complicated by multiple agendas, all of which matter. It's how to find win-win and how to discourage people from framing the takeaways as targeted against them.

Peoples' inability to separate collateral damage from targeted hostility is also irritating. (Sometimes there is indifference, which is no better than hostility, but the latter should not be alleged just because collateral damage is foreseen)

We need to be as concerned with availability of low cost business rental space as we are with the availability of affordable housing. This need is entangled with ethnic and racial community buillding. And all of this is entangled with transportation.

We spend far too much time framing things as grievances when we could just solve the thing.

- Paul

Interesting. Provided the zebra markings manage to stay in place over time (something I'm skeptical on), this at least attempts to create a more urban environment.
The City are now using a better way to 'paint' lines and pedestrian crossings on streets and it lasts FAR longer than the former painting. It's a kind of thick epoxy and is described in Wikipedia as "Epoxy contains two parts which are a pigmented resin base and catalyst. The two parts are mixed in a specialized truck for epoxy marking application. The epoxy is then heated prior to spraying onto road surface. Retroreflective glass beads are applied using a separate bead gun behind the epoxy spray gun. Typically, epoxy markings last about 4 years."

From the Star:

AoD
Stricter enforcement? How about any enforcement? We have 5,000 cops, where the heck are they?

With the near zero deployment of TPS to traffic enforcement it’s a testament to Torontonians’ good nature that we follow any road safety rules whatsoever. I would guess that nearly 100% of TPS traffic enforcement activities and tickets issued are as a result of speeding, mostly radar traps. But it‘s the people rolling through stop signs, ignoring red lights and cross walks, making aggressive lane changes and other non-speed related dangerous driving that we need to also look at.

Stricter enforcement? How about any enforcement? We have 5,000 cops, where the heck are they?

With the near zero deployment of TPS to traffic enforcement it’s a testament to Torontonians’ good nature that we follow any road safety rules whatsoever. I would guess that nearly 100% of TPS traffic enforcement activities and tickets issued are as a result of speeding, mostly radar traps. But it‘s the people rolling through stop signs, ignoring red lights and cross walks, making aggressive lane changes and other non-speed related dangerous driving that we need to also look at.
Even the police vehicles do not stop at stop signs and ignore red lights. All without using their lights or sirens.

That's why we need RAISED intersections and crosswalks. All vehicles will be forced to slow down at least.

Many of us ignore signs, but you will have to notice the "hill" of a raised crosswalk.

Last edited:

I see a lot of police floating about. I went for a 30 minute bike ride today and think I saw 6 cruisers for Peel Regional Police or OPP. Some of them were even on more minor streets.

New Left-hand turn treatments are coming to several Toronto intersections:

1622831153806.png

Taken from:

Locations:

1622831204273.png

I believe the idea would be very similar to this, from NYC:

1622831383169.png

Taken from: https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/pedestrians/turn-calming.shtml

Slowly, slowly we are starting to figure it out. I have no idea why we need to be so cautious. Why not pilot a few all-out intersections in terms of calming and safety features and show that things that work elsewhere also work here, instead of this infuriating incrementalism.

Even the police vehicles do not stop at stop signs and ignore red lights. All without using their lights or sirens.

That's why we need RAISED intersections and crosswalks. All vehicles will be forced to slow down at least.

Many of us ignore signs, but you will have to notice the "hill" of a raised crosswalk.
About 15 years ago, the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Assn and the St Lawrence BIA persuaded the City to install raised crossings on The Esplanade at all streets between Yonge and Market. Not sure they slow vehicles but they are good for pedestrians.

Slowly, slowly we are starting to figure it out. I have no idea why we need to be so cautious. Why not pilot a few all-out intersections in terms of calming and safety features and show that things that work elsewhere also work here, instead of this infuriating incrementalism.

I share your sense of impatience, but we have a city machine that has to crawl before it walks. I can live with starting with ten, the issue is that when we like it and learn from the ten, we should move to a hundred and not just a second set of ten more.

Similarly, other than for exhibition purposes, a “full dressed” intersection approach would likely be pounced on by some Councillors as wasteful, and they would dismiss some of those features as unnecessary. Adding one feature at a time is like adding one juggling item at a time.

- Paul

I thought this story on how eliminating left turns in certain parts of cities (downtowns, busy intersections) could reduce accidents and speed up traffic flow was interesting:

Back