News   Apr 17, 2024
 326     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 285     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Its being held by Councillor Carroll.

I'm told there are more than 7 votes against, as some wanted to debate it today to till it.

But I doubt that will be the outcome...............but we live in hope!

Think that this vote will show which councillors are pro-pedestrian or pro-automobile.

Think that this vote will show which councillors are pro-pedestrian or pro-automobile.

Considering that the residents are proposing a solution which is less auto friendly than the City is (narrower road, Speed bumps, 30 km/h speed) it would be unfortunate to characterize the options this way.

- Paul

Considering that the residents are proposing a solution which is less auto friendly than the City is (narrower road, Speed bumps, 30 km/h speed) it would be unfortunate to characterize the options this way.

- Paul

Speed bumps are useless. Raised intersections and crossings, along with the narrower roads and sidewalks are better. Raised intersections and crossings forces the motor vehicles to slow down at locations where they are needed most.

Sidewalks in Grimes and Colle's wards have been formally killed. Wasn't even a recorded vote. (show of hands)

businessman-kneeling-and-resting-his-head-on-a-car-while-holding-flowers_1869063.jpg

From link.

It's a small thing, but there were no speed limit signs before on the access road. And the bollard placement is very narrow for drivers. Drivers drove like crazy and speed so much before. Thorncliffe has been usually neglected and it's small victory for me and my advocacy, and the hundreds of residents who take walks and bike in the valley.

Sidewalks in Grimes and Colle's wards have been formally killed. Wasn't even a recorded vote. (show of hands)

It's worth watching the debate on Youtube, particularly the statements from City Staff. The Transportation staffer had no difficulty admitting that these were back streets with very low traffic counts that were a low priority for action under Vision Zero. Clearly, Transportation is willing to show some flexibility and address situations case by case.

It was refreshing to see Council not bow to the idealogues who just want to force something, something, something on every situation without considering the facts of the situation.

- Paul

It's worth watching the debate on Youtube, particularly the statements from City Staff. The Transportation staffer had no difficulty admitting that these were back streets with very low traffic counts that were a low priority for action under Vision Zero.

It was refreshing to see Council not bow to the idealogues who just want to force something, something, something on every situation without considering the facts of the situation.

- Paul

You and I will have to disagree over the outcome here.

I think its terribly unsafe for someone in a wheelchair, or otherwise using a mobility aid, particularly in winter.

The tendency is to view roads like this and say, well, an able-bodied person would be fine..............or how can you not manage this when there's those lawns you could walk on........

Not the same when the lawns are covered in snow and ice and the road has that and slush as well.

Its not merely for those who live on this road, but those would visit or use it connect from one street to another.

It's worth watching the debate on Youtube, particularly the statements from City Staff. The Transportation staffer had no difficulty admitting that these were back streets with very low traffic counts that were a low priority for action under Vision Zero. Clearly, Transportation is willing to show some flexibility and address situations case by case.

- Paul
Timestamp?

Last edited:
I hope they are called out on this the moment a pedestrian is inevitably killed on these streets due to their choices. There is no excuse to not have sidewalks in a major city. If you want to have a rural living experience, don't live in the largest city in the country.

Anti-"Vision Zero" Councillor Mark Grimes is at it again. Being anti-cyclist this time...

From link.

Toronto police now stopping cyclists for "speeding".

While Toronto may be known for having overly aggressive motorists and far too many tragic pedestrian deaths, it seems police are more focused on a different, slower type of road user these days: cyclists.

Earlier this week, the Toronto Police 22 Division posted photos on Facebook showing officers using radar guns to track the speed of cyclists travelling down a bike path in south Etobicoke.

"Did you know that bicycle paths in south Etobicoke have a speed limit?" reads the post. "22 Division community officers in partnership with councillor @mark.grimes have been in the parks educating about #speeding, #safety and #community concerns."

The photos also show several signs that indicate a speed limit of 20 km per hour for bikers along with a large message saying "Slow down."

Since they were originally posted on Facebook just two days ago, the photos have been shared all over social media and drawn all kinds of criticism, with many questioning how and why the police are putting resources towards cyclists speeding when there are far more pressing issues.

"My little brother was killed by a guy who was texting and driving. TPS barely does traffic enforcement. I can't describe how angry this useless waste of time exercise makes me," wrote Torontonian on Twitter.

"Is the Toronto Police Force trolling us?" wrote another. "We will not do a THING about cars speeding down your street which has a school on it, or deadly intersections, or near deadly intersections, but hey, bicycles and chalk messages that say mean things about US, we're on it!"

In response to some of the angry messages flooding in on social media, and there have been hundreds, the Toronto police wrote that the initiative was meant to raise awareness following concerns expressed by members of the public and local city councillor Mark Grimes.

"Officers were there to increase awareness & educate people after a number of concerns were raised by the community, including fellow cyclists, & a councillor," they wrote. "The speed radars were used purely for education & not enforcement. We received a positive response from residents."

But many are pointing out that Grimes has not historically been the most pedestrian/cyclist-friendly councillor in the city, and that, in reality, speeding drivers pose a much greater risk to the safety of local residents than bikers on a quiet path.

For the most part, the general consensus, at least on social media, seems to be that the issue of speeding cyclists couldn't be further from the biggest problem facing Toronto residents right now, or for that matter, ever.

Who decided that going more than 20 km/h is speeding? Marathon runners run at an average 20 km/h. "Average" means that some go faster than 20 km/h. Sprinters can do 30 km/h.

^I haven't come across any police speed traps, but I have seen the 20 km/h signs along the Humber River trails, which are mixed pedestrian-bike trails and which do have congestion problems.

I don't know that where the 20 km/h thing came from, but there is a problem with yellow-jersey-wannabe elitist speedsters on these trails. I suspect there have been complaints about these jerks.

- Paul

Back