News   May 07, 2024
 459     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 417     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 903     3 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Not just that.....how about all way stops when clearly there should be in all instances a through road that doesn't require cars to stop. Especially at 3 way intersections. Wtf is that?!?!

Do you guys know how much extra pollution this nonsense causes? We're worried about pedestrians....how about worrying about what they breathe?

Having all way stops at non-arterial intersections is not needed. In Europe, they use yield signs instead.

A better solution to slow down traffic is raised intersections and raised crossings.

You sound like a danger on the roads, to yourself and to others...

Quite the opposite. In fact if everyone drove like I did, the accident rate in the GTA would be almost nothing and traffic would be flowing much more smoothly everywhere. I guarantee if you sat in my car as a passenger for an hour, you'd agree 100%.

I have seen successful integration of bike lanes on sidewalks in other cities. I don't understand why it is a faux-pas to suggest them here.

It is a cheap way to guarantee grade separation from the roadway and improve the safety of cyclists, and as others have said, pedestrians are few and far between in the suburbs.

If you can't see a fast moving car coming towards you and not move into its path, then you have to either be legally blind or be not very bright. I mean seriously you look all around you and you see vehicles moving towards you and you can't judge if whether they're far away enough for you to safely cross without getting hit? That's basic stuff that everyone should know with perhaps the exception of children who are still learning, but if you're a teen and above and you can't figure that out and you don't have any mental impairments, then that means you're just very bright then.

This is a really unhelpful attitude - it's not just rude, it actually goes against understanding the problem we are trying to solve.

Any roadway is a perceptual and cognitive nightmare for individuals whether walking, cycling, or driving. One is attending to many things in many different directions. Lighting and visibility is variable and often adverse. Interpreting motion is often difficult.

Wilful distraction exacerbates all of this, yes.... but it is still a challenge when one is conscious of one's surroundings and maiking a good faith effort to stay safe. We very much need to analyse roadways to look for settings where something - a car, a child, a cyclist - run under the perceptual threshold.

I was appalled by where some normally thoughtful people have taken the whole "reflector" discussion. The police may have deserved some rebuke for taking credit for a solution that was condescending and tone-deaf to data and fact, but that doesn't make reflectors silly. They are essential, but they aren't a silver bullet - they may not solve some situations that are currently killing pedestrians, but they are damn worthwhile in others.

The "If you can't see something you must not be bright" disrespects just about everyone except maybe Spiderman and the Borg.

- Paul

Not just a Toronto issue, nor restricted only to pedetrians - from CBC:

And the Star:

In an email, Toronto police spokesperson Connie Osborne said the service is working closely with the city on traffic enforcement and is fully committed to Vision Zero.

“Enforcement is broad and cannot be measured by the issuing of tickets alone,” she said, adding the service “is committed to focusing effort and resources in an intelligence-led way, with emphasis being placed more on the quality of our efforts, rather than the quantity.”

Quality of our efforts. By the way of deaths?

AoD

Last edited:
Having all way stops at non-arterial intersections is not needed. In Europe, they use yield signs instead.

A better solution to slow down traffic is raised intersections and raised crossings.

Interestingly, I see quite a few of these all over the Cedarvale area, but they don't exist anywhere else in Toronto as far as I know. I wonder why that is? Perhaps it was an initiative by the local councillor at the time?

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 8.04.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 8.11.45 PM.png

Interestingly, I see quite a few of these all over the Cedarvale area, but they don't exist anywhere else in Toronto as far as I know. I wonder why that is? Perhaps it was an initiative by the local councillor at the time?

View attachment 230896

View attachment 230900
I drive over these everyday to work when I try to get to the Allen from Bathurst south of Ellington.

This is a really unhelpful attitude - it's not just rude, it actually goes against understanding the problem we are trying to solve.

I disagree. If we agree that drivers definitely need to do more to keep pedestrians safe, there's no reason why we can't hold pedestrians to the same standard and have them do their part to keep themselves safe and avoid an accident that could cost them their lives.

You make it sound like its something super difficult to do and requires alot of effort and training to have pedestrians look, be alert and think before they cross and yet its so simple that its mind boggling why its not automatic. Again everyone locks their door before they leave their home without a second thought, why can't we get people to look around and make sure the way is safe before crossing be automatic as well especially when your life is on the line?

Any roadway is a perceptual and cognitive nightmare for individuals whether walking, cycling, or driving. One is attending to many things in many different directions. Lighting and visibility is variable and often adverse. Interpreting motion is often difficult.

As a pedestrian if you're paying attention its easy as hell to see most if not all vehicles around you and react accordingly. Unless you're walking on a country road with no street lighting and the cars that are driving around all have no headlights on, its near impossible for an alert and aware person to not see a vehicle approaching them.

Why not try it yourself as an experiment? The next time you're walking around, just be aware of where cars are in relation to you and whether or not they may pose a threat to you and keep doing that when you're crossing a street and see if a car is able to get close to you without you knowing about it?

I was appalled by where some normally thoughtful people have taken the whole "reflector" discussion. The police may have deserved some rebuke for taking credit for a solution that was condescending and tone-deaf to data and fact, but that doesn't make reflectors silly. They are essential, but they aren't a silver bullet - they may not solve some situations that are currently killing pedestrians, but they are damn worthwhile in others.

How is it condescending to simply offer a reflector that may help drivers see people more easily? There are countless times while driving that I could barely see pedestrians at night until I was very close to them because they were wearing dark clothing that made them blend in with the surroundings so well and I often saw them only because I saw their legs moving.

Again we would all love to have drivers be perfect and courteous and always thinking about pedestrian safety, but you and I both know that is fantasy and not reality, so knowing that why wouldn't you take all possible measures to protect yourself that you can against all the bad drivers out there?

On the other side when I'm driving I sure as hell wish every pedestrian would be constantly looking around while crossing the street so that they don't get surprised by a bad driver that might hit them otherwise. A pedestrian that is fully alert might still get struck by a vehicle anyways, but wouldn't you agree that the odds would be dramatically lower if they were paying attention and had at least a slim chance to react to a situation?

Back