News   Apr 24, 2024
 932     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 612     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Here's one more interesting chart. The much larger amounts for two categories make me think that red light and speed cameras are, in fact, a gold mine for the government.

I don't have a problem with such cameras - I would be happier if there were more out there - but with this data it's hard to win over impatient drivers who rationalise that traffic enforcement is just a revenue game.

I would advocate for a waiver on fines in part or altogether for camera offenses if a driver signs for demerit points. That way, the consequence is better - driver moves closer to not having a license - rather than a monetary pinch that they may not care about. I would also remove the "waiver" on demerits for speeding under 16 km/h over the limit..... any and every speeding offense should result in demerits.

As far as Toronto proper, the numbers tend to argue against the perception that TPS does not write traffic tickets (and, it demonstrates that the level of enforcement over bicycle speeds is indeed tiny compared to driver enforcement). But it also suggests that Toronto may be letting the cameras do the lion's share of the work. I would want to see the number of tickets written for intersection behaviour (eg s142 - Turn - not in safety) to be much higher, as that's a significant source of risk in this city.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 10.14.01 AM.png

2nd floor! That's quite the accomplishment

I look forward to hearing how this happened.

I'm trying to envision both the speed and gradient required.

Edit to add, that's this building:

1662907267374.png

A compartively low second floor, but still, for the vehicle to hit mid-window, as it appears it did, that's got to be 14ft+ ft up

Excellent video exploring the differences in approach to signal timings in NA and NL.

Very interesting!

I was going to point out the near side v far side signals (which is mentioned at the end of the video). This really forces drivers to stop farther back from the intersection, which is safer for pedestrians and likely reduces conflicts with cross traffic

Something I saw in Europe could work here. Traffic must stop 25-100 back from the intersection as well not allow to make a right turn. This is for both 1/2 lanes roads considering most are 1.

This will (should) stop drivers making a right turn on the red who fail to do a full stop in the first place. Very common to see drivers doing a rolling stop at non busy intersections. And intersection by mee sees 95% of drivers failing to stop or a full stop on a red.
Very interesting!

I was going to point out the near side v far side signals (which is mentioned at the end of the video). This really forces drivers to stop farther back from the intersection, which is safer for pedestrians and likely reduces conflicts with cross traffic
Just tying that when you posted.

Reactions: PL1
Too much time spent on computer on a lazy long weekend....

I just had to do some data mining on those numbers. Here's my compilation - I highlighted some of the outriding data points. I don't know if there is an actual statistical significance, but the numbers are interesting.

I would theorise that GTA drivers are all pretty much the same, and the differences in numbers are the product of differences in enforcement rather than actual driving differences. The only exceptions I can think of are speed (which will be different the further one gets from downtown Toronto) and maybe stunt driving (again, more open roads in the burbs). I had expected that different practices with red light and speed cameras might produce differences, but these aren't that great.

The biggest difference I could spot is the very low number of tickets issued in Mississauga... a very big difference between Brampton and Mississauga, despite being enforced by the same police force.

Food for thought.

- Paul

View attachment 425063

My guess would be due to the fact that both Brampton and Mississauga only have 2 divisions each (not counting the Airport) whereas Mississauga is bigger, so overall Mississauga has lower police coverage than Brampton. In particular, the NW quadrant of Mississauga has no division close by.

My guess would be due to the fact that both Brampton and Mississauga only have 2 divisions each (not counting the Airport) whereas Mississauga is bigger, so overall Mississauga has lower police coverage than Brampton. In particular, the NW quadrant of Mississauga has no division close by.

Malton (with the exception of the Airport Lands) is covered by 21 Division, which is headquartered in Bramalea. https://peelregion.ca/planning-maps/StandardMaps/PeelPoliceDivisions_Letter.pdf

It's not a matter of police coverage, it's a matter of Peel choosing to go with very large division boundaries, with a lot of the support and specialized functions in separate properties from the main police divisions (the headquarters in Meadowvale, the tactical and forensics services on Derry Road in Mississauga, and some leftover functions in the old HQ on Hurontario in Brampton).

I'm not exactly sure how the number or geographic location of police stations is relevant to enforcement data. They're not fire halls. Staffing deployment has dozens of variables; some the service can manage, some they can't.

It seems the order of operations should be: 1. Move bike lane. 2. Move poles. 3. Reconstruct sidewalk. This seems backwards!
what has people confused is that during the Adelaide reconstruction the whole street is supposed to be reduced to 1 lane, including the bike lane.. they haven't done that here yet so it looks odd, but the alternate would be to entirely shut down the bike lane during the reconstruction.

Reactions: DSC

Back