News   May 06, 2024
 558     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 712     1 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Oh man......this is an easy one: It's because many drivers (most probably, for real, trust me) are still unaware of driving laws and have poor driving ability.

This is without mentioning those who reckon they are the only ones on the road. That's a sort of different, though sometimes overlapping, demographic.
Got to add an important point to this: They aren't serially tested!

In many nations, when renewing your licence, you also have to be retested every number of years. I bet doing so, more than half of Ontarians would fail!

Last edited:
Got to add an important point to this: They aren't serially tested!

In many nations, when renewing your licence, you also have to be retested. I bet doing so, more than half of Ontarians would fail!

Sorry, I edited my post. Perhaps you'd like to check the edit. :)

Sorry, I edited my post. Perhaps you'd like to check the edit. :)
Even by Canadian standards, Southern Ontarian drivers are bad. I also edited my post too, to add "3 years" to the interval to be retested. In Ontario's case, licence renewal is purely a money grab.

Even by Canadian standards, Southern Ontarian drivers are bad. I also edited my post too, to add "3 years" to the interval to be retested. In Ontario's case, licence renewal is purely a money grab.

Yeah, I've found that to be the case too, having have driven around Ontario, Quebec, and all the way west to Vancouver.

The problem isn't only in retesting....the problem is that retesting at the anti-driving (this term is like anti-football, if you know what that means) standards that are in place won't help.

The current driver training and testing is called "defensive driving". This is pure rubbish that does nothing to teach driving skill, confidence, and test for ability. It's designed with the idea of all drivers being potentially or actually incompetent in mind.

What kind of fuckery is that?

The vast majority of drivers here are unsuited to driving at their current level of confidence, ability, and spatial and mechanical awareness.

This needs to change or we can't really expect much. A billion speed bumps and foolish stop signs won't save us if our driver licensing system doesn't change to actually train and test for competency.

PS: For example, our reliance on stop signs here is a cause of driver incompetence. We can't even have a proper right-of-way road system because local drivers are too stupid to be able to cope.

Roundabouts: Even the Brits (I'm not familiar with use on the Continent) have lost the art and decorum of using roundabouts! It's essential to signal every lane change and move, something drivers in many nations now are failing miserably at. Everywhere!

But here's the rationale for Ontario roundabouts (Waterloo Region being the leader): Total accidents are about the same....but the *severity* of those accidents is way down, since head-ons are all but eliminated.

But as a cyclist, there's no freakin' way I'm going to play Circle-Jerk Russian Roulette with one, unless I'm descending a hill into one and can see no traffic in all directions. I'll walk around or across it, thank-you very much. I lost my nerve on roundabouts long ago. And I'm alive to write about it.

I stand by my thesis that since drivers are so frustrated by the condition of the roads/traffic/gridlock, they will fight for every time-savings advantage they can achieve. I’m not defending this in any way; just trying to give some kind of cause-and-effect explanation to the culture of drivers in this city.

I'm glad the BMW that cut me off today while I was trying to cross through a cross walk (yes I had the walk signal) saved himself about 10 seconds on his commute. There is zero enforcement. Drivers don't care if the cross walk signal is on, they will still make a turn knowing they wont get caught.

30 km/h could be new default speed limit in Calgary

8a5c0d20-b079-11e8-9e56-8b12493719d1_GettyImages-184281927.jpg

From link.

Speed limits could be drastically reduced in Calgary neighbourhoods — along with pedestrian fatalities — if council approves a motion on Sept. 10.

Coun. Druh Farrell wants the default speed limit on neighbourhood streets in the city reduced to 30 kilometres per hour, down from the current 50 km/h.

"Improving neighbourhood street safety, comfort, and livability are top priorities for communities across Calgary," said the Ward 7 representative in a news release.

"Calgarians want safer streets, and reducing neighbourhood speed limits is an important part of the equation. Considering the $120 million annual societal cost of pedestrian-involved collisions, this is a sensible investment in making walking safer."

Pedestrian survival

Her office cites stats from the World Health Organization that show 90 per cent of pedestrians struck by cars travelling 30 km/h survive.

That number drops to 60 per cent at 40 km/h and below 20 per cent at 50 km/h.

According to Farrell's office, the reduction would prolong the average commute by less than one minute as it would not affect "major collectors, arterials, parkways, industrial, and skeletal roads."

Coun. Gian-Carlo Carra, who is one of the councillors supporting the motion, said the exact nature of the roads affected will have to be determined.

"We would have to be very clear about that, but I think general unlined streets — streets without lines on them — are your general places where that is going to apply, and then potentially some higher order roads, depending on where they are and what the impacts would be on traffic flows," he said.

'Emerging best practice'

In 2016, when council approved a new pedestrian strategy, it rejected the section that called for a study into reducing residential speed limits.

But the current motion is supported by five other councillors and the mayor, meaning it is likely to be approved.

"An international, emerging best practice over the last seven years has been to take the speed limit down on quieter residential streets to 30 km/h," said Carra, who represents Ward 9.

He says the reduction is just the first step in a process that will see streets transformed.

"What we do know is we have to set the speed limit lower and we have to follow that up with a generational project of neighbourhood street redesign so that 30 km/h is the design speed of these roads."

Funding

The motion calls for a plan to be submitted to council no later than the fourth quarter of 2019.

It foresees "short-term, quick build, traffic calming measures at high priority locations, medium-term updates to street design policies and guidelines, and long-term consistent funding for street safety improvements."

Some of that funding could come from redirecting a portion of revenue from fines.

"Telling administration to do it and to figure out how to do it is Step 1," said Carra. "There's obviously a lot of different ways this can go."

Ask your candidates for Councillors, if they support this or not.

IF fatalities are caused by reckless drivers who are likely to speed regardless of posted speed limit, how will reducing the speed of other drivers be of help?

IF fatalities are caused by reckless drivers who are likely to speed regardless of posted speed limit, how will reducing the speed of other drivers be of help?

Along with photo radar, it would slow ALL drivers to a safer speed. From the link.

Pedestrian survival

Her office cites stats from the World Health Organization that show 90 per cent of pedestrians struck by cars travelling 30 km/h survive.

That number drops to 60 per cent at 40 km/h and below 20 per cent at 50 km/h.

According to Farrell's office, the reduction would prolong the average commute by less than one minute as it would not affect "major collectors, arterials, parkways, industrial, and skeletal roads."​

Where do you draw the line on that type of faulty reasoning?

Why wait in line if some just barge in? Why talk in a reasonable tone when others might shout? Why show good manners when some are rude?

Why even wipe yourself and wash your hands if others don't?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/09/04/city-begins-installing-photo-radar-in-school-zones.html

Some other small but meaningful safety improvements for school zones may include curb bump outs and speed bumps. Having driven through areas with both of these, I can say they are highly effective in forcing one to slow down. We also need much better lighting at pedestrian crossings, better sight lines for drivers, and pedestrian friendly corner geometry/turn radii. Speaking as a driver, I would feel safer if pedestrians had better infrastructure. Most pedestrian crossings make me shudder when I'm driving in the evening.

Back