News   Apr 26, 2024
 237     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 474     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Pedestrian signals, in Europe, have their countdown signals showing during the entire "walk" sequence. This video is from Spain:

Of course, should Toronto ever implement such a countdown signal, they'll add a sign in ENGLISH to explain the it. Meaning tourists from Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, Denmark, etc. wouldn't be able to read and understand it.

Spain even have a countdown on the RED or "DON'T WALK" sequence.

. Meaning tourists from Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, Denmark, etc. wouldn't be able to read and understand it.
I'm not sure what tourists you are surveying but the majority of them do have some understanding of English when they come here otherwise why would you visit an English speaking country? Also, lots of other cities around the world have signs that not evereone undrsands like for example road signs in Japan are in Japanise.

Drivers in Toronto do not care if they have a red light or if there's a pedestrian walk signal, they are going through the intersection and you better not get in their way. A guy recently gave me the finger for walking in a crosswalk when i had the signal. Why are so many drivers( jerks) still unaware of pedestrian laws?

Drivers in Toronto do not care if they have a red light or if there's a pedestrian walk signal, they are going through the intersection and you better not get in their way. A guy recently gave me the finger for walking in a crosswalk when i had the signal. Why are so many drivers( jerks) still unaware of pedestrian laws?

I stand by my thesis that since drivers are so frustrated by the condition of the roads/traffic/gridlock, they will fight for every time-savings advantage they can achieve. I’m not defending this in any way; just trying to give some kind of cause-and-effect explanation to the culture of drivers in this city.

I think that’s true, but I’d add enforcement as part of the equation. The only place other than Toronto where I drive regularly is Sydney, which has a lot of Toronto’s congestion but a markedly safer driving culture. Though don’t say that to an Australian from somewhere else. NSW has a pretty zero tolerance attitude to traffic enforcement, with lots of speed cams and (compared to Toronto) random police checks for drunk driving. No probable cause required. I know, the horrific human rights abuse...and yet. Speed limits there actually mean what they say, so drive 115 in a 110 zone and you run a good chance of getting a hefty fine. Crossing the Harbour is its own special hell, but I’d far rather drive there than here. Drivers seem saner and safer.

I think that’s true, but I’d add enforcement as part of the equation. The only place other than Toronto where I drive regularly is Sydney, which has a lot of Toronto’s congestion but a markedly safer driving culture. Though don’t say that to an Australian from somewhere else. NSW has a pretty zero tolerance attitude to traffic enforcement, with lots of speed cams and (compared to Toronto) random police checks for drunk driving. No probable cause required. I know, the horrific human rights abuse...and yet. Speed limits there actually mean what they say, so drive 115 in a 110 zone and you run a good chance of getting a hefty fine. Crossing the Harbour is its own special hell, but I’d far rather drive there than here. Drivers seem saner and safer.

Yes, the enforcement in Toronto is pretty much non-existent.
I’m not familiar with Sydney but I’d bet it doesn’t have the level of construction that we have here. It’s a nightmare.

That’s true - they don’t seem to shut down traffic lanes the way we do.

So Sydney does have the level of construction that we do and yet they accommodate that without affecting traffic flow as much?

If so then we need our city staff to take a log hard look at what Sydney is doing that we aren’t.

Last edited:
And the vast majority of drivers/cyclists unaware or unobservant of the changes in the HTA that require you to wait until the pedestrian is on the sidewalk *both sides* of the road:

[...]
The law, which came into effect this month, says that drivers and cyclists have to stop and wait until pedestrians have completely crossed at pedestrian crossovers – or, at normal crosswalks, if there's a school crossing guard there.

"Where there is a median or physical barrier that divides a highway into two roadways, the new law requires drivers to wait until pedestrians and the school crossing guard has cleared the roadway in the direction that the vehicle is travelling," said Ontario's Ministry of Transportation (MTO) in an e-mail statement.

Fines range from $150-$500 and drivers may face three demerit points. Fines are doubled in community safety zones.

So what's a pedestrian crossover? It sounds a little like a cool name for a pedestrian bridge, like the one reportedly being used by people and cars in Ottawa. But, really it's a painted crosswalk with overhead lights that flash when the pedestrian pushes a button. "A pedestrian crossover is a pedestrian crossing facility identified by specific signs, pavement markings and overhead lights in combination with pedestrian-activated flashing beacons," the MTO said. "A school crossing is any pedestrian crossing facility where a school crossing guard is present and is displaying a school crossing stop sign."

Before the law change, drivers could keep going once pedestrians had crossed halfway across the road.

That's a problem because drivers might see traffic moving and might not realize that someone is crossing, De Felice said.

"People see some cars moving and think they can go," De Felice said. "They may not be sure why one car is stopped and decide to go around – and all of a sudden there's a pedestrian in that intersection."

It's also an issue in school zones because kids may dawdle or suddenly switch directions while crossing the road – or another child might be running behind them to catch up.

"Even when there's a crossing guard, kids are kids," De Felice said. "If all the cars are waiting, it's easier to see somebody rushing out."
[...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...-and-whats-the-reason-for-it/article28392316/

Saw this as I was looking through councillor Perks' twitter.

upload_2018-7-23_15-35-7.png

upload_2018-7-23_15-35-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-23_15-35-7.png
    upload_2018-7-23_15-35-7.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 493
  • upload_2018-7-23_15-35-49.png
    upload_2018-7-23_15-35-49.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 508
So Sydney does have the level of construction that we do and yet they accommodate that without affecting traffic flow as much?

If so then we need our city staff to take a log hard look at what Sydney is doing that we aren’t.

Helps if Sydney's "winter" temperatures in July average 17° for a high and 8° as a low (in Celsius). Toronto has colder winters, which stops most road construction jobs.

1. Definitely results in less potholes.
2. The work can be spread out over the entire year.

Helps if Sydney's "winter" temperatures in July average 17° for a high and 8° as a low (in Celsius). Toronto has colder winters, which stops most road construction jobs.

1. Definitely results in less potholes.
2. The work can be spread out over the entire year.
You missed the big one: Australian cities' roads come under State and Federal jurisdiction:
The Hon Paul Fletcher MPMinister for Urban Infrastructure and Cities
Home > Fletcher > Media Releases > 2017 > December > Major progress on Western Sydney roads package
Listen
A- A+

Major progress on Western Sydney roads package
MEDIA RELEASE

PF069/2017

01 December 2017

JOINT RELEASE WITH:

Stuart Ayres

NSW Minister for Western Sydne
NSW Minister for WestConnex
NSW Minister for Sport

Motorists in Western Sydney are seeing results from the Australian and NSW Governments’ $3.6 billion investment in local roads with major milestones achieved over the past 12 months.

The latest 12-month report card for the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP) shows steady progress on the plan’s major road infrastructure upgrades.

Federal Minister for Urban Infrastructure Paul Fletcher said a significant achievement was the opening to traffic of the new Werrington Arterial Road between the Great Western Highway and M4 Motorway, which is already helping to ease congestion on the M4.

“With one in 11 Australians now living in Western Sydney, we are delivering major projects such as building the M12 Motorway and the Werrington Arterial Road to transform the region's economy and make it an even better place to live and do business,” Mr Fletcher said.

“The Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan is delivering major road upgrades for the region and capitalising on the economic benefits from building the Western Sydney Airport.
[...]
http://minister.infrastructure.gov.au/pf/releases/2017/december/pf069_2017.aspx

There are drivers who want to do the right thing (i.e. wait for pedestrians and cyclists to pass) but they are pressured by the idiots who are always in a hurry and who are behind them swearing, honking, riding their back bumper and using hand gestures to get them to move quickly.
You get this when cycling from other cyclists. Just had a run-in with one now. I'm not bragging in stating that I can accelerate much faster than most. I have to be careful not to wheelie in the lowest two ratios. A lot of that is in knowing how to apply the muscle you have, rather than just bulk.

So I'm cycling west along College just west of Bathurst, and looking for a storefront, when a 'ding-a-ling' starts ringing behind me. So I take off like a Jackrabbit. The guy starts swearing at me. He was pissed off that he lost his chance to overtake me. So I was stopped at the next light, and he came up behind me, still swearing. I won't go into detail as to what happened next, he regretted it, but like many aggressive types, he has no sense of the necessity of protocol, let alone good cycling manners, to announce: "Passing on the left". He rings his fugging little bell and expects all to bow to his self endowed sense of omnipotence, and get out of his way.

If he wanted to pass safely, all he had to do was check over his shoulder, indicate a lane-change and use the vehicle lane to pass. Whatever, he got belittled in front of his girl friend. Priceless...

Last edited:

This is only anecdotal, but it seems to me they aren’t constantly tearing up streets and blocking lanes for utility work, at least not in the Eastern Suburbs. Of course they don’t have our freeze thaw cycle so maybe I’ve made an unfair comparison. And I have to admit that driving west or north out of the CDB is pretty hellish a lot of the time, but not because of driver behaviour.

Why are so many drivers( jerks) still unaware of pedestrian laws?

Oh man......this is an easy one: It's because many drivers (most probably, for real, trust me) are still unaware of driving laws and have poor driving ability.

This is without mentioning those who reckon they are the only ones on the road. That's a sort of different, though sometimes overlapping, demographic.

I've said it many times on this site: our driver licensing is a joke.

They don't train nor test for driver competence and skill. They train and test for the exact opposite!

Last edited:

Back