News   Apr 23, 2024
 13     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 282     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 479     0 

Riverdale

Thanks, pape is turning into greektown 2.0 it seems!

So how many souvlaki/Greek joints north of Sammon now? Folia, Tzatziki, one on the west side whose name escapes, and now this? Seriously? I like a good gyro as much as anybody (and, to my mind, Folia makes the best) but this is ridiculous.

It's not like they're all offering full menus of fish, moussaka etc.

They'll all just drive each other out of business

So how many souvlaki/Greek joints north of Sammon now? Folia, Tzatziki, one on the west side whose name escapes, and now this? Seriously? I like a good gyro as much as anybody (and, to my mind, Folia makes the best) but this is ridiculous.

It's not like they're all offering full menus of fish, moussaka etc.

They'll all just drive each other out of business

It is a bit too much, I think the one escaping you is called " the greek boy", isn't their also a greek cafe on pape/floyd as well? Something Greco? I agree folia is the best, although some people have been raving about "souv-like" where the short lived opa opa was. I'd be happy to see one or two go for a decent greek market! Happy for more greek business but just stop with the souvlaki, I know pape village has a large greek population but the demand for the same thing couldn't possibly be that high.

It is a bit too much, I think the one escaping you is called " the greek boy", isn't their also a greek cafe on pape/floyd as well? Something Greco? I agree folia is the best, although some people have been raving about "souv-like" where the short lived opa opa was. I'd be happy to see one or two go for a decent greek market! Happy for more greek business but just stop with the souvlaki, I know pape village has a large greek population but the demand for the same thing couldn't possibly be that high.

I'm not even sure it has much of a large Greek population anymore. I suspect most of the ones who are still there are older. Their kids are moved away, to the 905 where can afford to buy houses or to condoland.

In any case, it seems to me that the older Greeks all park themselves at the McD at Pape & Cosburn. They're there every night, nursing coffees, gossiping and having political arguments.

As for the Greek market idea, that Serano Bakery has just about everything a Greek shopper could want. Speaking for myself, I'd like to see another produce store with some prepared foods, not unlike a good Urban Fresh or even something with gusts to Pusateri's or Bruno's.

The Shopper's Drug Mart could also be expanded.

I suppose all this will come if and when the city's "Avenue Plan" is implemented.

But now we're drifting into the Old East York thread turf, no?

The website says it's moving to a new danforth location, why wouldn't it just say pape?

If it has to be more greek I'm hoping for a psarotaverna, these are huge in Greece and most greek areas around the world, yet we don't have one, it's embarassing, and the lack of zaharoplastia ( traditional greek cake/desert cafes) is also laughable..cafe frappe is the only thing that slightly resembles one from memory, 2 of the most popular forms of greek dining are criminally under presented in favour of the tired old formula that's actually outdated even in Greece.

I don't think that there's too many new Greek food joints on Pape...they are more likely to survive with the lower rents anyways...hasn't anyone noticed how many hair salons/barbers there also are on Pape which seem to survive?

The website says it's moving to a new danforth location, why wouldn't it just say pape?

If it has to be more greek I'm hoping for a psarotaverna, these are huge in Greece and most greek areas around the world, yet we don't have one, it's embarassing, and the lack of zaharoplastia ( traditional greek cake/desert cafes) is also laughable..cafe frappe is the only thing that slightly resembles one from memory, 2 of the most popular forms of greek dining are criminally under presented in favour of the tired old formula that's actually outdated even in Greece.

I have asked about psarotavernas myself earlier in this thread, complete with links to some of those that are very successful in Montreal.

I have seen a couple come and go, most recently Kritamos. There was one in 1991 -- the name escapes me -- across from Pappas Grill. There was another one in downtown Toronto, a creation of two former employees of the internationally-known Milos which started in Montreal.

My theory is, despite the popularity of sushi, Toronto is not really a fish-loving culture, unless it comes breaded and deep-fried. Some Danforth restaurants -- Pantheon comes to mind -- will have some fresh fish but they live on their meat sales. Also, I think that there's a price ceiling on Danforth restos. Very few can go above a certain level and last. Lolita's Lust is one of them and it has been consistently good since day one.

Speaking of which, how is the Forth doing? Anybody been recently?

I think that there's a price ceiling on Danforth restos. Very few can go above a certain level and last. Lolita's Lust is one of them and it has been consistently good since day one.

My most recent experiences of Lolita's Lust have been somewhat disappointing. There was nothing particularly bad, but the quality and service didn't seem very special. I really liked the place in the past, but I don't know if the restaurant has actually declined or if my tastes have changed. (Personally I think they lost some of their mystique when they removed the coverings on the front windows, which had just a narrow horizontal clear space, as that combined with the name gave the place a frisson of delightful disreputability.)

Speaking of which, how is the Forth doing? Anybody been recently?

Ugh. I went there a few weeks after they were open for a friend's birthday dinner. The food was so-so, the space is far too cavernous for intimate dining, the interior decoration seems inspired by a silvery '80s dance club, and the service was incredibly disorganized. I was not at all impressed, and won't be going back.

My most recent experiences of Lolita's Lust have been somewhat disappointing. There was nothing particularly bad, but the quality and service didn't seem very special. I really liked the place in the past, but I don't know if the restaurant has actually declined or if my tastes have changed. (Personally I think they lost some of their mystique when they removed the coverings on the front windows, which had just a narrow horizontal clear space, as that combined with the name gave the place a frisson of delightful disreputability.)

Ugh. I went there a few weeks after they were open for a friend's birthday dinner. The food was so-so, the space is far too cavernous for intimate dining, the interior decoration seems inspired by a silvery '80s dance club, and the service was incredibly disorganized. I was not at all impressed, and won't be going back.

I am sorry to hear about Lolita's Lust. I was there with friends in January and, while I can't say it's five star, far from it, I have to say for the price, and compared with similarly-priced places on Queen E., it more than holds up. (By the way, I love Tabule, a Lebanese offshoot from the original on Yonge.) Maybe the LL folks are putting more into their new Queen E. enterprise, Braised?

As for the Forth, I never did make it there and was not very inspired to do so. Can't say why. Just a gut feeling.

Below is the update received by the 322 people who signed the petition.

Riverdale Community Update re Traffic Meeting
Andrea Bock
Toronto, Canada

May 14, 2015 — Last night saw over 200 people from Riverdale make an appearance at St. John’s Presbyterian to weigh in on the traffic proposal.

It was wonderful to see the community so engaged on such short notice and I am happy to report that as a result of our petition, the directional changes have been removed from the agenda!

A few interesting points were raised that bear further attention:

-the community as a whole clearly wishes to be engaged and consulted in creating a sensible traffic solution.

-the community is in favour of additional stop signs, speed bumps on Victor and Logan and lower speed limits throughout Riverdale.

-the community is largely NOT in favour of additional traffic redirects from Simpson and Langley in the form of no left turns from Carlaw. We all share the burden of traffic in our community.

-most of the traffic that is at issue in Riverdale, this from Toronto police services that was in attendance, comes from Riverdale residents themselves. It is local in nature versus non-residents.
**Everyone - please - SLOW DOWN.**

-there will be some government participation in the traffic process. Paula Fletcher introduced a city staffer last night who will be assessing future proposals with an eye to safety and security.

-traffic around Withrow and Pape School, namely parents dropping off and picking up their children who pull up onto the sidewalk in front of the school and idle their cars, thus endangering all surrounding pedestrian traffic, continues to be an issue. This should be a focus for the group in the future.
**If you are driving your children to and from school, consider the safety of everyone on the sidewalk. Do not pull up onto the sidewalk or idle your car. It is dangerous to children and residents walking the sidewalk.**

- a whole other issue concerns the possibility of Mt Sinai/Bridgepoint developments at Gerrard and Broadview. The community needs to be a part of this planning process.

Finally, although there was success in eliminating the directional changes, the Riverdale Traffic Committee unveiled last night that they will continue to push forward the no left turns from Carlaw onto Simpson and Langley. Thus traffic will continue to be diverted onto neighbouring Riverdale and Withrow Streets. The energy on this issue needs to continue - please stay engaged. June 22nd is the next community council.

One final note. I intend to join the Riverdale Traffic Group in order to insure our voices are heard. Please stay in touch.

Thank-you to everyone who participated in this petition and helped us to be heard.

Sincerely,

Andrea Kellner-Bock, Michael Riley and all of the others who helped get this movement started.

Gencor Espresso Wine Bar, formerly Kahlúa Café, née Ice Lounge, at the NE corner of Carlaw and Danforth, has paper on its windows with a sign on the door saying a new concept is coming and that it will reopen soon/when the sun begins to shine.

Signs went up in the last couple of days. The latest incarnation is "Sports Rivals" or something to that effect. The place always seemed busiest anyway when there was a game on the big screen TVs.

Back