News   Apr 25, 2024
 279     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Riverdale

Fair enough. Poorly is a subjective term, though. I was thinking more in terms that they were doing okay, but figured at the end of their lease that they could do better in a smaller space. Whether that is performing poorly is a matter of semantics, I suppose.

There does seem to be a rash of vacancies in 2015. The province's Vacancy Rebate Application program is always part of the problem. It provides property tax rebates when commercial property is vacant, which enables allows some landlords to be more speculative than they otherwise used to be able to do, holding out for the best tenant/highest rent they can. Some times the effect manifests itself more noticeably than other times.

As some of you know, I have always found some business activities on the Danforth, especially east of Logan, rather suspect.

While I'm sure that most stores/restaurants in the area suffer from ever increasing rents, I'm quite surprised that restaurants like Mr Greek and The Friendly Greek never had the opportunity to buy the building (or another) building during their 30-plus years on the Danforth

Do you have proof there is Greek gangsterism on Danforth? Stop perpetuating this myth of a Greek mafia. It is an insult to Greek Canadian families who have businesses on Danforth. Sure some do bend the laws and use questionable methods, but this hardly makes them 'Mafia'. If anything the most notorious Greek criminals are located in Montreal and Quebec working alongside the Italian Mafia and biker gangs. Just because some Greek business owners look and smell like gangsters does not make them Mafia.

Do you have proof there is Greek gangsterism on Danforth? Stop perpetuating this myth of a Greek mafia. It is an insult to Greek Canadian families who have businesses on Danforth. Sure some do bend the laws and use questionable methods, but this hardly makes them 'Mafia'. If anything the most notorious Greek criminals are located in Montreal and Quebec working alongside the Italian Mafia and biker gangs. Just because some Greek business owners look and smell like gangsters does not make them Mafia.

Look and smell? Really? Really? That's an insult both to Greeks and to gangsters.

I have lived in the neighborhood for 30 years, and have gotten to know many of the merchants, some of who have now left the strip. I have heard about sudden rent increases and evictions and more.

Do some research. Check the history of some locations and their ownership. Ask yourself, why some merchants or business owners suddenly left.

Meanwhile, do some reading. Start here.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/prospering-in-greektown-despite-criminal-convictions-in-greece/article591908/?page=all

"Gangsters" don't always operate the way they do in the movies, you know.

And they certainly don't "smell."

I've been asking around about this - and I've heard that the traffic group formed after the residents on langley between Logan and Carlaw asked to switch the direction of that section of Langley to be for eastbound travel to prevent traffic on carlaw from using Langley to cut through the neighbourhood. The city rejected the proposal since it would just add more volume to other neighbourhood streets and requested that the neighbourhood form a working group to form a more comprehensive solution

They updated the website and the proposal is out.
Basically they don't care what we think.
Here what they posted under FAQs.

Does the proposal go to the Toronto and East York Council before the city can officially put it to a vote amongst residents?

The proposal will first go to the community. If it approves the plan, it will go to Transportation Services, Toronto Fire, and Toronto Police Services before being presented to the East York Community Council. If approved at that level, it will be rubber-stamped by City Hall.

What the hell? You already made changes without asking me?

The introduction of left turn restrictions on Langley Avenue was reviewed and approved by Transportation Services and does not require a community-wide vote. The reduction of the speed limit to 30KM/H normalized the limits already established on some streets. Any resident of a street can make these requests and the city approves them only on an as-it-sees-fit basis.

If the proposal is voted down by the community, will everything that has been achieved already by the group (eg. speed limit changes) be removed?

The RTG was advised that the only changes that need a vote by the community are changes of direction to a street – unless a given change of street direction is identified by Transportation as warranted as a matter of traffic planning or safety. Accordingly, if the plan is voted down, improvements in any final proposal that are not a change of direction will remain. Therefore, no matter the outcome, the RTG will have achieved some minimal good for the neighbourhood. But the challenge is always to do better than the minimum.

Are all members of the RTG leftist nutcases?

No. In fact, some of them are libertarians! Seriously, the RTG represents includes a spectrum of political views and occupations. Some RTG members travel by bike, but most commute by car. Both genders are represented and all adult ages are represented, including those with young children and school-aged children at both Pape Avenue Public School and Withrow Avenue Public School.

What happens if we vote down this proposal?

The only matter requiring a community vote is the reversal of One Way signs. Any resident can petition Councillor Fletcher to approve any or all other traffic calming measures independently of the Riverdale Traffic Group.
About the Riverdale Traffic Group

Gencor Espresso Wine Bar, formerly Kahlúa Café, née Ice Lounge, at the NE corner of Carlaw and Danforth, has paper on its windows with a sign on the door saying a new concept is coming and that it will reopen soon/when the sun begins to shine.

So it that location haunted? Or is it just a front? I don't know of any other location on the Danforth strip that has had as much turnover.

So it that location haunted? Or is it just a front? I don't know of any other location on the Danforth strip that has had as much turnover.

Agreed. But I think all of these incarnations have the same owner. Maybe I am wrong. There was a discussion about a year or so ago in this thread about it possibly being a front.

Gencor Espresso Wine Bar, formerly Kahlúa Café, née Ice Lounge, at the NE corner of Carlaw and Danforth, has paper on its windows with a sign on the door saying a new concept is coming and that it will reopen soon/when the sun begins to shine.

Don't forget Beckers from back in the day!

Anyone know where the new mr greek will be open? Website says the new location will still be on the danforth.

As for gencor only ever went there once, I think it's the owner who had that short lived souvlaki joint on the strip a couple of years ago.

Anyone know where the new mr greek will be open? Website says the new location will still be on the danforth.

As for gencor only ever went there once, I think it's the owner who had that short lived souvlaki joint on the strip a couple of years ago.

On Pape north of Cosburn at the old bakery.

Back