News   Apr 18, 2024
 91     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 459     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Riverdale

More chains are moving to the Danforth. The space at 417 Danforth Avenue formally occupied by 417, Davos, Legends, and Myth will soon become a Keg. I wonder if they'll keep the stucco columns on the top.

More chains are moving to the Danforth. The space at 417 Danforth Avenue formally occupied by 417, Davos, Legends, and Myth will soon become a Keg. I wonder if they'll keep the stucco columns on the top.

Hah I walked by that stucco behemoth the other day and wondered what restaurant would possibly be able to work with that monstrosity. I highly doubt The Keg keeps it.

I have no problem with The Keg moving into that spot, especially if it occupies a consistently empty building. I do hope it doesn't hint at an explosion of other suburban dining casual chains like Moxie's and Milestones moving onto the strip.

Last edited:
Hah I walked by that stucco behemoth the other day and wondered what restaurant would possibly be able to work with that monstrosity. I highly doubt The Keg keeps it.

I have no problem with The Keg moving into that spot, especially if it occupies a consistently empty building. I do hope it doesn't hint at an explosion of other suburban dining casual chains like Moxie's and Milestones moving onto the strip.

The Keg, since they tend to be huge, is actually not bad there. The turnover on that location has been criminal.

I don't know about M & M, but the strip is really changing -- Timmie's, Swiss Chalet, Shopper's behemoth store, LCBO's big new location. I'm thinking you're too late in closing the barn door.

I don't know about M & M, but the strip is really changing -- Timmie's, Swiss Chalet, Shopper's behemoth store, LCBO's big new location. I'm thinking you're too late in closing the barn door.

I'll happily take the big LCBO store over the tiny hole they used to have, and it's great to have a full-service Shopper's over the microscopic mom-and-pop drug stores.

Not all change is bad. Certainly the diversity of restaurants has improved dramatically on the Danforth in the last few years, with the addition of many Japanese, Thai, and Chinese restaurants, fancier Italian spots, even some nicer gourmet burger places. I think that's a win for a neighbourhood which was a little tired and somewhat insular.

Now all we need is some decent cocktail bars...

The Keg, since they tend to be huge, is actually not bad there. The turnover on that location has been criminal.

Those chains have been there for ages, and the Swiss Chalet left ages ago...but down the road, the Mickeyland Children's Wear at Pape recently closed after 30 plus years in that location

I don't mind the chains as long as they work with the streetscape and don't crush the indie businesses. I wish the Shopper's and the LCBO didn't just squat on all that acreage like giant blocks of brick and glass. But I recognize that they offer stuff that's needed. I have hit that LCBO several times but only on foot. When I want to restock, I go to Greenwood where I can park.

As for the Keg, I have no problem in this instance. Sure, a few of the souvlaki houses offer steak -- not long ago I had a craving for a Montreal style rib steak which I got at the Pantheon -- but not the menu range of the Keg.

Too bad about the kiddie store. All my dogs awould get freaked out by the mechanical Santa. I expect we will soon get a Baby Gap or some such thing soon to serve the family demographics. A children's shoe store is also needed. But the rents are too damn high. So chains are inevitable.

ETA: Oh wait. Mickeyland is on the south side. I was thinking of the place across the street, near Il Fornello ... another chain which has been there for ages.

I don't mind the chains as long as they work with the streetscape and don't crush the indie businesses.

I agree with this. I don't mind chains themselves, as long as there is a good mix. A lot of vacancies on the strip have opened up since the holidays, and I am hoping that we get some interesting independents (other than nail salons and mediocre suchi joints) in some of those spots.

As for the Keg, I have no problem in this instance.

Especially since the last two "independent" businesses at that location were so appalling. Going back even further, Myth was not the greatest restaurant, and it's a mystery how a place that big stayed open that long.

I wish the Shopper's and the LCBO didn't just squat on all that acreage like giant blocks of brick and glass.

Yeah - second storeys with leasable space would have been nice.

Montreal Girl, I worry about the Greek fish place you've posted about. Went there for the first time recently - delicious. Always empty when I walk by, though.

I notice today a banner was strung across the columns at Jones. Did not take a pic, but I think it said 'Welcome to GreekTown'.

Man, those columns are huge. The photo posted in this thread does not do it justice. The base is massive - takes up a lot of sidewalk.

Saw the banner last night. White and blue lights - comes across very winter holiday-ish rather than colours of the Greek flag. Presumably they are LED lights, so colours can change to suit events/seasons?

Another column was installed around Chester (IIRC).

Man, those columns are huge. The photo posted in this thread does not do it justice. The base is massive - takes up a lot of sidewalk.

Saw the banner last night. White and blue lights - comes across very winter holiday-ish rather than colours of the Greek flag. Presumably they are LED lights, so colours can change to suit events/seasons?

Another column was installed around Chester (IIRC).

I have my doubts about the make-up of the Greektown BIA: http://www.greektowntoronto.com/about.php

I suppose the blue is supposed to represent the Greek flag but getting that exact colour of Mediterranean blue may not be easy with LED.

As for Kritamos, I have been in on weeknights and it's been empty. On weekends, it's jammed. I hope it survives. I love it!

Anyone receive notice of 'traffic calming' measures on Langley, Victor, Simpson, Riverdale, etc?

Looks like they are making all streets south of Withrow not accessible by turning them one way into Howland,

no left turns at Simpson from Carlaw, etc.

So it looks like Withrow and Bain will be the only throughways..... Odd considering Withrow School is right there. More traffic right on a Jr School???

I'm gonna have to say Fletcher must have a very good friend on Langley.... And campaign season in coming up!

According to Toronto Life.
Chris Kalisperas, the current executive chef at Brassaii, is aiming to boost the Danforth's culinary cred with The Forth, a massive new multi-level restaurant that’s set to open this spring at Danforth and Pape. At 8,000 square feet, the space will seat 150 and sprawl over two floors of a new building constructed above the National Bank at 629 Danforth Avenue. “We’re hoping to get people excited about eating on the Danforth again,” Kalisperas says.

According to Toronto Life.
Chris Kalisperas, the current executive chef at Brassaii, is aiming to boost the Danforth's culinary cred with The Forth, a massive new multi-level restaurant that’s set to open this spring at Danforth and Pape. At 8,000 square feet, the space will seat 150 and sprawl over two floors of a new building constructed above the National Bank at 629 Danforth Avenue. “We’re hoping to get people excited about eating on the Danforth again,†Kalisperas says.

Didn't there used to a rather dubious lounge there about 10 years ago?

And wasn't there a sign announcing another new restaurant (I forget the name) a year or so ago, complete with a website?

I dunno about that location...

Didn't there used to a rather dubious lounge there about 10 years ago?

And wasn't there a sign announcing another new restaurant (I forget the name) a year or so ago, complete with a website?

I dunno about that location...

I don't think that there's been anything in that space (above National Bank)..were you thinking of Ice Lounge that was at Carlaw?

Also, the Dollarama and Bite Me Grill are now open just east of Pape on Danforth

I don't think that there's been anything in that space (above National Bank)..were you thinking of Ice Lounge that was at Carlaw?

There was a single floor above the bank, accessible via a stairwell on the west side of the bank (next to IGA.) I wish I could remember the name of the place. It was IMO just a front (Bistro 669 is another mystery place.) When Oxygen Fitness was suddenly taken over by Extreme Fitness (now Good Life), all the construction started. The lounge shut down. Then, about two years ago, a banner went up on the second floor announcing a new restaurant. It may even have been mentioned in this thread. I don't have to time to search. Anyway, nothing ever came of it, despite the big banner and the website.

If I remember the name of the lounge and the never-happened restaurant, I will post them.

Back