News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

Riverdale

On another note, I am surprised nobody has mentioned this:

<The proprietors of an east-end marijuana lounge have been arrested and charged with numerous offences, including possession of the proceeds of crime, after Toronto police raided the shop on Thursday evening.

Officers with the drug squad, 54 division and TAVIS (the Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy) executed the raid at Good Weeds at 940 Danforth Ave., according to Toronto police.

The lounge was raided based on a search warrant arising from a community complaint, police said.

"Anytime police receive a complaint it is investigated and this [raid] was the result of that," Const. Caroline de Kloet told CBC News on Friday afternoon.

She could not provide details about the nature of the complaint.>

The folk at Von donuts must have freaked out. The pot smokers were their best customers.

Could swear 940 danforth was recently a decent sports bar owned by a Greek guy..paradise wasn't it? when did this good weeds pop up?

The recent mention of mr Greek reminded me of something, when they closed last year the website and Facebook page claimed they would re open somewhere else on the strip, most likely downsizing like the friendly Greek, then rumour was they were gonna open up again on pape...what happened?

Btw if you want authentic Greek gyro that resembles what you would have in Greece go to a place called 'souv like'... It's just across from the pape subway station, place is small but it's a hidden gem.

A new Mexican restaurant called Fernando's Hideaway opening up soon on Danforth just east of Pape in the old Family Thai space...not sure if this is related to one on Yonge St with the same name

A new Mexican restaurant called Fernando's Hideaway opening up soon on Danforth just east of Pape in the old Family Thai space...not sure if this is related to one on Yonge St with the same name

That will be two new Mexican restaurants for the strip, as one is also opening just west of Logan (as reported above).

Nice photo I saw on Twitter (kudos to @ChronNost):

Eton.jpg

Attachments

• Eton.jpg
    Eton.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 865
I seem to recall that for a long time that Eton Tavern had their windows covered due to some old bylaw...anyone know?

What a difference windows can make. The building looks pretty dull with the current ones. Any idea when that photo was taken?

No idea. No date on Twitter, although we could always ask @ChronNost where (s)he got it.

ETA: A Google search suggests that all of the laws involving separate men's and mixed company sections of taverns did not completely disappear until the 1970s, so photo probably dates back to the 60s or 70s. For no particular reason, the newspaper boxes suggest late 1960s to me.

Last edited:
We're starting to see intensification on the east end of the Danforth, where the land is a bit cheaper and the area residents more desperate for Danforth rejuvenation. On the west end, not all the properties are deep enough, and those that are deep enough will be expensive to assemble. And no developer wants to be first one out of the starting gate. I think it will eventually happen, but I don't think in significant amounts. At least, that's my prediction. I might be wrong.

We're starting to see intensification on the east end of the Danforth, where the land is a bit cheaper and the area residents more desperate for Danforth rejuvenation. On the west end, not all the properties are deep enough, and those that are deep enough will be expensive to assemble. And no developer wants to be first one out of the starting gate. I think it will eventually happen, but I don't think in significant amounts. At least, that's my prediction. I might be wrong.
Agreed - I think a big challenge on the west end of the Danforth would be assembling those property parcels large enough for development. An aside, I still don't understand why the City has a green P lot fronting Danforth at Playter.

That said, I agree it's inevitable - the area is definitely going through a transition period right now.

Back