News   Jul 15, 2024
 747     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 902     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 633     0 

Riverdale

If anestis wants to be a hit they should look to create a restaurant/bakery/cafe setup. Sure have your souvlaki and the rest but maybe have a section for deserts and baked goods, be a mini seranos, give yourself a point of difference from the other predictable places.

Tzatziki on pape has it all worked out with the cafe connected to it next door.

As for TOTD, I just got bored with it. The diversity disappeared. Many of the restos just stopped playing. Now it's just about all souvlaki. But I have never dreaded it. I love the idea that we live in a city/country where so many people can come together and nobody is killed -- except by cholesterol.

I don't understand the appeal of Taste. Beyond food, there is nothing of interest. The event is disruptive to the neighbourhood and dull. Better to visit the Danforth on any other nice spring/summer/autumn weekend than this one. My neighbour calls it "the annual festival where we all sit on our porches and watch 905ers try to parallel park". Now, don't get me wrong - I'd like to see it continue as long as it benefits the local merchants. I can put up with it for one weekend a year for the greater good. Mind you, I've always been under the impression that the benefits are not evenly enjoyed by the various businesses along the stretch.

I've enjoyed it in the past. Its a good chance to try 'new to you' foods in small sample sizes that don't feel like a waste of money they way they might in a sit-down, full-price setting.

Beyond the food there isn't much, except for the excuse to enjoy that area's mainstreet shopping and/or take in some of the music.

For those w/little kids there's usually some sorta fun fair component as well.

Its not a stupendous attraction (well the numbers may suggest otherwise....) but I see little harm, its a way to celebrate a neighbourhood.

Most of the other BIA-backed festivals aim for something similar they just don't have the years or the scale behind them.

Last edited:
"Waste of the Danforth" as the locals it.

A few years ago I tried to walk it from Donlands to Broadview and couldn't do it. I remember thinking that it was so packed at times, especially between Chester and Pape, that the event could be a public safety concern. What would happen if a fire started from a BBQ or - heaven forbid - a violent incident occurred?

I think they should consider extending the street closure to Greenwood or Coxwell. This would give some more "breathing room, " including some much needed seating areas, and also counteract some of the recent sterility of TOTD with the flavour of the Pakistani and Ethiopian strips further east.

Last edited:
By David RiderCity Hall Bureau Chief
Sat., Aug. 6, 2016

“Something to do with this festival — a place,” the game-show host prods the stumped, shrugging man. She finally tells him: “It’s Greece!”

The game was in the middle of Krinos Taste of the Danforth — a 23-year-old party that honours its Greektown roots while also offering sushi, bourbon samples, pro sports swag and the Miss and Mr. Asia Toronto contest.

“It’s a Greek festival but the street has changed and so has the festival,” says Marinos Dafnas, who since 2002 has owned Messini Authentic Gyros which drew a long line, teased by the smell of roasting meat, on sunny Saturday.

“The restaurant owners who started it, they retired. Greek restaurants started disappearing when the next generation didn’t want to take over,” said Dafnas, guessing he has watched 30 Greek eateries shrink to about 10.

“Then new blood came in which is international. I’m not sad at all — I take it as it comes.”

Taste of the Danforth started in 1994 when merchants decided that, rather than advertise individually, they would set up tasting tables selling souvlaki on a stick, and other then-exotic dishes, for a maximum $5 per item.

Some 5,000 people turned up. That jumped to 100,000 the following year and kept rising, necessitating street closures, to a current expected 1.6 million over a full weekend that ends Sunday at 10 p.m.

The enforced $5 maximum is a rare festival constant, along with the fact that net proceeds from sponsorships and vendor fees go to charity.

The Danforth, once home to cafes full of men talking politics while swinging komboloi worry beads, and butchers displaying skinned rabbits, has gentrified and diversified, and so has the yearly taste of it.

“The festival very purposely is a multicultural festival with a dollop of tzatziki on the top,” says Howard Lichtman of Greektown on the Danforth BIA, the merchants’ group that organizes it.

“It’s by design and it represents the changing face of Canada, the changing face of Toronto and the changing face of the Danforth. We have Greek programming but we intentionally don’t want it all to be Greek.”

Jaspal Singh, serving Indian food at the Sher-E-Punjab restaurant his parents started in 1975, says: “I think it’s more of a food festival but obviously there are a lot of Greek restaurants. It’s just the diversity of the area and Toronto.”

Both Singh and Dafnas said Saturday crowds were down from those several years ago, when the street was so packed it was difficult to move.

They both cited competition from other events but Lichtman suggested it had to do more with faulty predictions of stormy weather.

Patrons seemed fine with some elbow room and a culturally diverse Taste.

“We definitely come for the Greek food — everything else is a bonus,” said Markham retiree Rob Nolk, a repeat visitor with his wife, Kelly.

Christine Selinger, a 29-year-old educator, sat in the shade happily munching on a meal of souvlaki, perogies and sangria.

“I like food,” she said, “and, as long as other businesses aren’t coming in and forcing out the locals, it doesn’t matter that it isn’t all Greek.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/08/06/festival-on-torontos-danforth-not-so-greek-anymore.html

Unless ive missed something the last few weeks im not sure what this messini guy is on about...way more than 10 greek eateries on the strip..its still closer to 30 in fact when you combine the restaurants/cafes with the souvlaki joints.

With the taste people fall into the trap of the whole gimmick behind the event which is lining up for food. Remember a few years back a huge line outsite akropolis pastries, yet inside plenty of tables were empty. I went in ate my tiropita, left the place and the same people were still lining up lol. The festival itself hasnt felt greek for years. Nice to see they brought out some d grade youtube singer from greece to perform..and they had the nerve to label her "greek superstar". And dont make me start on the greek mc who starts every sentence with "my big fat greek" i mean cmon seriously lol.

Last edited:
Any event that hosts 1+ million people will have crowding issues. "People watching" is part of the event itself!

I walked down for lunch today and strolled from Pape to Donlands. Ate Greenwood beef brisket, a cold seafood taco from Tilde (more like a cole slaw w/calamari wrapped in a sofr tortilla) and a BBQ pork bun at the little Chinese place at Donlands. Also an Only Cafe pint.

Very nice lunch. But I wouldn't drivr from Markham for it.

Any event that hosts 1+ million people will have crowding issues. "People watching" is part of the event itself!

I walked down for lunch today and strolled from Pape to Donlands. Ate Greenwood beef brisket, a cold seafood taco from Tilde (more like a cole slaw w/calamari wrapped in a sofr tortilla) and a BBQ pork bun at the little Chinese place at Donlands. Also an Only Cafe pint.

Very nice lunch. But I wouldn't drivr from Markham for it.

That's how we would do it. We'd head up and down the street on early Friday afternoon before it officially opened and check out who was doing what, making mental notes to come here for the fries, there for the jalapeno poppers, here for the samosas etc. Both Saturday and Sunday afternoon, early, we'd hit it and enjoy a nice stroll and leisurely lunch.

A couple of times we went at night and circumvented the crowds by traveling the laneway on the north side behind the stores from Jackman to Gough. We'd also find places there to sit or go behind St. Barnabas to the little playground there.

Really sorry about Avli. Hope maybe Cafe Fiorentina takes over the location because it has announced that it is moving.

Looks like Cafe Fiorentina will be re-opening on the south side of Danforth now a few doors west of Logan

Also, Diners Thai a few more doors west has closed

Cafe Florentina is moving into the old Caffe Greco spot. Not sure if that's larger than their previous space or not. It's not huge.

Diners Thai has been closed for more than a year now. Surprised the space is still not occupied. I thought at a minimum some cheesy sushi place would have snapped it up.

Cafe Florentina is moving into the old Caffe Greco spot. Not sure if that's larger than their previous space or not. It's not huge.

Diners Thai has been closed for more than a year now. Surprised the space is still not occupied. I thought at a minimum some cheesy sushi place would have snapped it up.

Didn't know the Diners Thai was closed for that long..I only noticed it when I passed by and also noticed the new Cafe Florentina sign..I guess the landlord's high rent demands scares off so many potential tentants...but but yeah, the new CF space looks rather small

Yeh pretty sure its a small space...that was the old lucky spot more famously. Caffe greco came and went pretty fast!

I went once and had a disgusting frappe at caffe greco and never went back. With leonidas, cafe frappe, 521 etc just up the road they never stood a chance, fiorentina is a huge upgrade.

Back