News   Jun 26, 2024
 217     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 329     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 2K     2 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

Thanks for the laugh.

Blaming suburbanites for the continuing lack of leadership on the DRL file from downtown councilors in Council, before the press, or at community DRL meetings (which they rarely attend) is disingenuous.

I wasn't blaming anyone. You said that downtown councillors have shown little interest in the DRL, which is not true anymore if you had been watching any of the recent transit debates in council. I said that these councillors are now more supportive of the DRL than a lot of the suburban councillors, some of which are more interested in their own pet projects like Smart Track, Gardiner Hybrid, Scarborough subway, Sheppard subway or the Pasternak "North York relief line". When the time comes for council to debate revenue tools, expect these same councillors to also try to block any new taxes from being implemented that would have helped pay for all of that, just like they did last time.

By the way, I saw a couple of the councillors at the public meetings. Just saying.

Slightly off-thread, but not really; from PWIC hearing today:

Councillor Mary Margaret McMahon, at Councillor Stephen Holyday: "Does the recent rise in cycling fatalities concern you?"

Councillor Holyday: "No comment."

Our elected officials, ladies and gentlemen.

I'll be heading to Holyday's office to give him a piece of my mind about his concern for public safety in the coming weeks.

Councillor Holyday's world view:

IMG_9278.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9278.JPG
    IMG_9278.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 480
And in other news, Do Ciano goes to new depths to prove he is a sleazy jackass:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...t-developer-despite-ties-to-company-1.3579582
There are so many things wrong here that I could go on to point out, but ultimately this just proves that city planning needs to be completely separated from politics (ie: Toronto council) in every way, shape and form. The planing department has been interfered with in numerous ways countless number of times, by deluded politicians who get lobbied by developers resulting in said politician bending over backwards to get a nice kickback in return. Of course in all of these cases it has never been proven that the politician gets a kickback, but let's be honest it happens.

Here is a case where a a residential development makes absolutely 0 sense whatsoever, and we have 4 politicians who recommend overturning the planning departments recommendations. This is the same stupidity that has created Toronto's transportation mess, and counsillors are spreading their wings to mess around with city planning now.

So now we have two shady councillors in the neighborhood: Grimes and DiCiano and let's not kid ourselves here, DiCiano still has ties to the developer in this case. I dont care if his brother doesnt work there anymore, and if Justin isnt active in the real estate business anymore. He still has ties to this matter one way or another.

I wasn't blaming anyone. You said that downtown councillors have shown little interest in the DRL, which is not true anymore if you had been watching any of the recent transit debates in council. I said that these councillors are now more supportive of the DRL than a lot of the suburban councillors, some of which are more interested in their own pet projects like Smart Track, Gardiner Hybrid, Scarborough subway, Sheppard subway or the Pasternak "North York relief line". When the time comes for council to debate revenue tools, expect these same councillors to also try to block any new taxes from being implemented that would have helped pay for all of that, just like they did last time.
Big frickin' deal. EVERY councilor has their pet projects; point is none of them get anywhere without support. There's an incredibly simple and obvious way to get more support for the DRL from the suburbs: lobby to increase the scope of the current DRL study. It would cost exactly zero extra dollars for an EA to cover a full DRL instead of the inadequate one that is scheduled to start. Though perhaps that would be too much for the current study group seeing as how they are already almost nine months late reporting to City Hall. And where are our "interested" downtown councilors about any of these issues? As usual, nowhere.

By the way, I saw a couple of the councillors at the public meetings. Just saying.
I saw a couple as well, plus Tory. But certainly not even close to the same representation as the Finch West, Sheppard East, and Eglinton meetings.

Like I said, it's quite apparent that, on balance, most of them don't care enough to care.

I lived in his riding until up until 2003. After I got married, we moved one riding south, which was also held by a right wing Liberal from 1993 until 2011!

Even ranked ballots might fail to stop him from getting re-elected...

Last edited:
I lived in his riding until up until 2003. After I got married, we moved one riding south, which was also held by a right wing Liberal from 1993 until 2011!

Even ranked ballots might fail to stop him from getting re-elected...
That's really disturbing. Why is he so popular in his ward when he's so obviously put to lunch?

Michelle Holland (formally known as Michelle Berardinetti) has come up with the idea of having driver-less TTC buses. It's things like this which make me wish that we can one day automate city counsil and get rid all these Councillors so we can stop wasting time and money debating foolish ideas. This is odd coming from Holland because she's one of the more intelligent counsillor's down there.

Here's the link for more info:
http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/06/07/driverless-buses-is-this-the-ttc-future.html

Michelle Holland (formally known as Michelle Berardinetti) has come up with the idea of having driver-less TTC buses. It's things like this which make me wish that we can one day automate city counsil and get rid all these Councillors so we can stop wasting time and money debating foolish ideas. This is odd coming from Holland because she's one of the more intelligent counsillor's down there.

Here's the link for more info:
http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/06/07/driverless-buses-is-this-the-ttc-future.html

Who thought it was a great idea to pick an unnecessary and costly fight with the union?

Back