News   Jun 26, 2024
 180     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 318     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.9K     2 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

More downtown councilors to show little or no interest in the DRL, and to keep alive the legacy of those downtown councilors who actually killed it in the 90s? Should work out great!

Having lots more downtown councillors could only be positive for the city.
*Could* is the big factor here. There's no doubt having more councillors would be a benefit to the city as a whole but if there are more Mammolittii/Karygiannis style councillors that get voted in, we're all in for a ride.

More downtown councilors to help dilute the vote of our friends in Etobicoke who object to spending a single cent on anything that doesn't help their constituents' SUVs get to and from work faster.

More downtown councilors to show little or no interest in the DRL, and to keep alive the legacy of those downtown councilors who actually killed it in the 90s? Should work out great!

Umm, we're in 2016, not 1990. These councillors are more supportive of the DRL than many of the suburban motorheads who will now have slightly less influence on council under the current proposal.

Slightly off-thread, but not really; from PWIC hearing today:

Councillor Mary Margaret McMahon, at Councillor Stephen Holyday: "Does the recent rise in cycling fatalities concern you?"

Councillor Holyday: "No comment."

Our elected officials, ladies and gentlemen.

I'll be heading to Holyday's office to give him a piece of my mind about his concern for public safety in the coming weeks.

More downtown councilors to help dilute the vote of our friends in Etobicoke who object to spending a single cent on anything that doesn't help their constituents' SUVs get to and from work faster.

This is exactly the point I was making.

*Could* is the big factor here. There's no doubt having more councillors would be a benefit to the city as a whole but if there are more Mammolittii/Karygiannis style councillors that get voted in, we're all in for a ride.
FWIW I don't agree at all that more councillors is better - but there's another whole thread on that topic.

Last edited:
Great. So Denzil's jurisdiction will encompass all of Don Mills under this prospect. A special ward should be made for him that covers just his street. I'm so sick of having this guy as my Councillor; and with no end in sight (save the off chance we implement term limits). Denzil will be a Councillor until the 2030s, otherwise.

Re suburban Councillors and their constituents and the low regard they're held in on this forum: why don't more creative, imaginative, clever, artistic individuals move to the suburbs and help shape their futures so that they become more urban and exciting places to live in? When the majority of said people cluster in the core of the city, the outer areas languish and that is evidenced by the lack of culture in these nodes. If these areas continue to be ignored by those with vision, they will never live up to their potential. It's no surprise that most suburban Councillors have no imagination. They're essentially just moms and dads whose lives revolve around house league hockey/baseball/soccer and traveling to and from strip plazas. Their constituents are the same people. There's nothing wrong with leading simple lives, but when essentially the entire demographic consists of the same people, it is a recipe for sterility. There needs to be a broader, more balanced mindset and lifestyle prevalent in the suburbs.

Why don't members of this forum even run in suburban wards? You don't even have to live in the ward you represent (Jon Burnside, for example, lives in Ward 25 but represents Ward 26). Don't like Mammo, Denzil, etc.? Run against them. I know it's difficult to compete, financially. Even if said Councillors were replaced by locals, their successors will probably be equally useless. There are enough people here that understand the city (better than most) and who have great ideas. Why not put them to use, rather than just talking on a forum and achieving none of the dreams you have for the city? Wishing for better candidates to come along will probably never meet our expectations (maybe in another generation things will be different).

Last edited:
Slightly off-thread, but not really; from PWIC hearing today:

Councillor Mary Margaret McMahon, at Councillor Stephen Holyday: "Does the recent rise in cycling fatalities concern you?"

Councillor Holyday: "No comment."

Our elected officials, ladies and gentlemen.

I'll be heading to Holyday's office to give him a piece of my mind about his concern for public safety in the coming weeks.
I really don't know why our cycling community doesn't just stage a massive die-in protest in front of the constituency offices of Councillors like Stephen Holyday.

I really don't know why our cycling community doesn't just stage a massive die-in protest in front of the constituency offices of Councillors like Stephen Holyday.
Because that would be stupid and would achieve nothing.

Umm, we're in 2016, not 1990. These councillors are more supportive of the DRL than many of the suburban motorheads who will now have slightly less influence on council under the current proposal.
Thanks for the laugh.

Blaming suburbanites for the continuing lack of leadership on the DRL file from downtown councilors in Council, before the press, or at community DRL meetings (which they rarely attend) is disingenuous.

Back