616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

another ramen bar!

Taken Jan 5th

20240105_135528.jpg

And finally last one!

Speaking of Burger places, I tried Friday Burger today; though did not order their eponymous creation, but rather their Nashville Hot Chicken.

Met a friend there, who ordered onion rings, so we could taste a couple of different things, between us.

Have to say, I was disappointed. It wasn't bad; there's the basis of something decent there, but for chef-driven, there were some serious execution errors.

The Onion Rings were frozen, but actually had a good batter and could have been quite decent, but the oil in the fryer was a bit too cool and/or needed to be changed, the grease was excessive. Also, they didn't season them (salt) when they came out of the fryer.

The Chicken.......was not a Nashville Hot.........in point of fact, it wasn't hot at all. Seriously, it wasn't even medium warm; The breading, which had good crunch, over decent chicken, wasn't spiced itself, instead, the cook just put some seasoning over the top when it came out of the fryer, presumably with cayanne in it, but no heat. That is not how Nashville Hot Chicken is made, you're suppose to put a ladle of fryer oil over an intense amount of cayanne, then coat the chicken right when it comes out of the fryer in that spicy heat. Ideally, you marinate the chicken in spice before battering too.

The bun was good, lettuce is lettuce, their Alabama White BBQ sauce was scarce so one could only get the vague hint of horseradish; while the pickles were skinny and inconsequential.

The place had no vinegar, nor salt or pepper accessible; and someone who ordered a burger asked for mustard and they didn't have any. Yikes.

My friend and I discussed, between our two orders, we spent ~$20 on a sandwich and onion rings, no drinks, not outrageous, if good, but fully priced.

But to justify that you really need to have you execution down pat. Proper heat on the hot chicken, better pickles, a bit more sauce and we're gold; properly maintained fryer oil, season the onion rings, perfect; a few accessible condiments, brilliant.

We worked out that including a bit of extra labour the difference between what we got and the promise was maybe .50c; but it really took it down a notch.

Too bad, the concept is a decent one.

PS, the Milkshakes are made with No Frills brand Ice Cream.........meh, probably fine, but really, don't let the customer see that when your charging artisanal, chef-driven prices, LOL
My favourite thing from Friday Burger is their Mississippi Mud Pie and Banana Cream Pie puddings. Really really good.

Hard Rock Cafe back! It is moving into 10 Dundas according to this notice (below the Beer Store sign).

Still, a shame it gave up its old spot, now the home of Toronto’s worst Shoppers.

View attachment 534111

Hard Rock Cafe, known for their gaudy interiors and overpriced food. It'll fit right in!

Toronto has never really been good at all day/all evening cafe/bar type places. I'm not sure why, as they seem to succeed in cities around the world for all the obvious reasons pointed out in this article.

It's even worse than it was before covid hit. Finding a non corporate chain coffee shop open past 5 pm in some parts the city is impossible

Last edited:
Hard Rock Cafe, known for their gaudy interiors and overpriced food. It'll fit right in!
I share your sentiments. They can be gaudy and over priced though, there is a market for that, mostly tourist. It's good for the area. Think about when they build the new bowling lanes, that ugly building could become a bit of a tourist attraction. 😂

Hard Rock Cafe back! It is moving into 10 Dundas according to this notice (below the Beer Store sign).

Still, a shame it gave up its old spot, now the home of Toronto’s worst Shoppers.

View attachment 534111
UGH. Those fake ventilation fans are still there. What a dumpy building.
And is that a bunch of bird shit covering the awning over the entrance? Nothing says "place to go and eat" like uncleaned pigeon crap all over.

Last edited:
The building has a Dollarama and a Beer Store. It's not exactly prime real estate, despite its busy location.
I'd say it's prime real estate, just not the best shops. But they will move if they don't get the business they need to make money. Although even just being there with the signage probably makes up for any loss of the stores operations.

Back