News   Apr 19, 2024
 16     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 722     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.8K     2 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Some info about Village Idiot Pub's change of name to Village Genius Pub:

“We’re living in a different time than five to 10 years ago. Maybe the humour is not there, or we’re changing our attitudes and becoming more conservative. I don’t know the answer, but I think it’s not politically correct as much as it used to be.”

Very interesting choice of words. This political correctness is indeed inherently quite conservative in its nature, even though it does not originate from the conservative side of the spectrum.

I think the rebranding will be a success though.

Leslieville café known for luring TIFF stars closing its doors after rent increase

By Joanna Lavoie toronto.com
Wed., Oct. 23, 2019

The end is near for one of Leslieville’s favourite coffee shops.

On Sunday, Grinder Coffee Gerrard will serve its last cuppa joe.

Owner Joelle Murray said she didn’t want to shut down her business, but after six months of trying to negotiate a new lease, she was left with no choice.

“The landlord doesn’t want to come to the table anymore. They were trying to increase my rent 2.5 times,” she shared during a recent interview.

Le Sélect restaurant, on Wellington West across from The Well, has started a petition against the "highest and best use" assessments performed by MPAC, which have led to a 551% increase in their property taxes since they moved to their current location. They suggest their survival is threatened. This nonsense has to end.

Imagine the uproar if all the single detached bungalows littering the bulk of Toronto's landscape received 551% property tax increases because theoretically each one could support an 80 storey condo tower instead.
TBH that is not the worst idea I have heard. If you want to keep your stable neighbourhoods designation, it should come with compensation to the city.

Le Sélect restaurant, on Wellington West across from The Well, has started a petition against the "highest and best use" assessments performed by MPAC, which have led to a 551% increase in their property taxes since they moved to their current location. They suggest their survival is threatened. This nonsense has to end.
so redevelop.

Whoop-de-do, cry me a river. We are in a housing crisis.

so redevelop.

Whoop-de-do, cry me a river. We are in a housing crisis.
A redevelopment destined to become "luxury" condos/rentals won't do much to ease that crisis.

Le Sélect is an institution that has produced, among other talents, Matty Matheson, who is perhaps the city's biggest celebrity right now.

Last edited:
yup. someone owns it, if they can't hold a retail tenant, time to find a better use for it.
[/
A redevelopment destined to become "luxury" condos/rentals won't do much to ease that crisis.

Le Sélect is an institution that has produced, among other talents, Matty Matheson, who is perhaps the city's biggest celebrity right now.

Exactly. I've been going there since the late 80s, when they were on Queen St W. When they moved to Wellington the area was pretty desolate. Being bought out by developers is one thing, but it shouldn't happen this way. Such businesses contribute to our quality of life in this city.

It does, don’t kid yourself. Say it redevelops into 150 luxury units. The 150 new residents move out of their old, slightly less luxurious dwellings, opening those up for new residents. So on and so forth.

the nature of land economics means that those with the most economic means will be the last to be priced out. Make more room for them, and those below them have more room too.

is one development going to change the situation radically? No.It will do its part though.

perhaps Le Select can lease some space across the street in the well, with its much lower property taxes and multiple restaurant spaces lining Wellington.

Back