News   May 02, 2024
 262     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 2E9

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 293032 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 12, 2012

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for Starbucks Coffee (less than 30 seats) on the ground floor of exisitng hotel
I guess their private cafe isn't working?

Anyone know what's up with Quizno's? I have noticed three closed franchises in the past week (Yonge south of College, Bay south of Queen, and the Ajax store on Bayly.) I haven't checked to see if the TD Centre store is still going. Their website gives no indication of a pullout from the Canadian market.

They've been closing one by one all over Ontario for several years now.

I'm not hugely surprised that the one on Bay closed. To do well in that area, you really need to either be a full-service restaurant or a Tim's (Tim's do well everywhere). Non-PATH-connected standard fast food places seem to struggle in the core (non-big chain places, such as Burrito Boyz, can work). The one in TD Centre, OTOH, is usually bustling. I'll be curious to see whether it's still there when I get back to work.

I did notice one still open in Pickering yesterday.

I'm not hugely surprised that the one on Bay closed. To do well in that area, you really need to either be a full-service restaurant or a Tim's (Tim's do well everywhere). Non-PATH-connected standard fast food places seem to struggle in the core (non-big chain places, such as Burrito Boyz, can work). The one in TD Centre, OTOH, is usually bustling. I'll be curious to see whether it's still there when I get back to work.

I did notice one still open in Pickering yesterday.

The one on Yonge, north of Bloor is still there.

The Red Bench is now open at Yonge & Gloucester. Spring Rolls 'Go' @ Yonge & Charles is gone. A Mexican place is taking over the old Zelda's on Yonge. Nando flamed-grilled chicken is opening up in the base of Burano.

The Red Bench is now open at Yonge & Gloucester. Spring Rolls 'Go' @ Yonge & Charles is gone. A Mexican place is taking over the old Zelda's on Yonge. Nando flamed-grilled chicken is opening up in the base of Burano.

Is that Nando's the African/global peri-peri chicken chain? I've wanted to try them for some time.

Last edited:
The Red Bench looks cute! I'll have to check it out. Seemed pretty busy in there when I walked past.

Sucks to see Spring Rolls Go close. Where else will I go to get cheap spring rolls on my break from work :(

Is that take-out spot near Foccacia on Hayden cursed or something? First it was their take-out space, then early last year, it changed hands like three times before Foccacia took it back and now it's about to become yet another middle eastern fast food joint? What's the deal, anyway?

Back